Author Topic: First round fliers?  (Read 774 times)

Offline coyotehunter223

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
First round fliers?
« on: October 19, 2005, 02:21:39 PM »
What, if anything, have you guy's done to help eliminate the first round fliers? Is this a result of a clean barrel or simply that it is cold? If it is cold, would waiting say 15 minutes between shots help? Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
First round fliers?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 02:26:46 PM »
Don't clean the bore after the last time ya shot.....or wipe the bore with alcohol or a degreaser to remove any and all traces of oil. I haven't tried the latter, but have read of a benchrest shooter who practiced it considerably and was happy with the results.
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Paul5388

• A Real Regular
First round fliers?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 03:09:56 PM »
I think it's a matter of a clean barrel or a change in components needing a fouling shot or two.  

Today I shot my Hornet without cleaning it from the last time I shot it.  I was using the same powder type and the same manufacturer's bullets, so I didn't notice any flyers (with an 8 1/2" X 11" group what would be a flyer? :eek: )  When I switched to a different manufacturer's bullet (same powder and not cleaned) there was a flyer.

Offline lostsniper308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
First round fliers?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 05:32:27 PM »
My .308 needs 2 shots to get the rifle shooting where its zeroed. One shot is usually enough but i send two foulers down before counting them for groupings. My .17HMR is an exception, no flyers of a clean bore or after many rounds of firing with no cooling time.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
First round fliers?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 04:00:04 AM »
The best thing to do...if you already have it sighted in..shoot 1 shot from the cold barrel each day..on the same target and range..and see if it consitantly shoots to the same point of impact..it's a pain to do this..but if it does..you may either want to experiment with the forearm bedding pressure or see if the barrel channel needs rellieved some..it's your first shot that counts on a hunting rifle.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
First round fliers?
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 06:12:16 AM »
...or after cleaning the rifle, in the case of hunting season, fire one or two foulers before leaving the range, then perhaps a verifing 3rd round, so when your out hunting the rifle will shoot where zeroed.
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now

Offline safetysheriff

First round fliers?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 12:11:00 PM »
i'd clean the bore with a patch and stay away from the brushing unless you see too much metal fouling building up in the rifle.

i clean my .223 Handi's (one heavy and one light-barrel'd) as needed after shooting......but stop before i get the "clean, white patch" that the instructions call for.   i even put some Hoppe's #9 and Rislone (mix) or Hoppe's #9 and Marvel Mystery Oil (mix) on a patch and leave it in the bore to pull out more fouling over a couple days time until i shoot it again.     BUT, before i go out to shoot/hunt i wipe the barrel/chamber dry to keep any solvent, oil, or grease from creating 'flyers' and stuck cases for me.

i can honestly tell you that if you clean a rifle, but not thoroughlly, that you shouldn't have problems with first-round flyers (in my experience) if everything is DRY when the first shot is fired.  

it's an old trick used by some of the guys in boot camp even to help get their qualifying scores a little higher.....as long as the 'man' doesn't catch them with a dirty rifle during an inspection.......

take care,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Sourdough

First round fliers?
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 10:59:41 AM »
Never noticed that problem, but I only clean my Handi every four to six months.  Unless I drop it in a river or mud hole.  My first shot it the only one that counts anyway.  When I go to the range I never shoot more than two shots without letting the barrel cool.  I only shoot from cold barrels.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jack19512

• A Real Regular
First round fliers?
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2005, 04:40:38 AM »
I have just recently started shooting two shot groups also.  I also believe it is the first shot that really counts.  To me when shooting for groups or sighting in a scope anything over two shots is a waste of ammo and just heats the barrel up.  Of course there are those that are going to disagree with me and that is OK.   :-)

Offline stiff neck

• Avid Poster
First round fliers?
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2005, 05:21:35 AM »
During one of my typical hunting trips, I'll put a few boxes of ammo thru my 223 barrel in a single hour, so a clean, cold bore isn't gonna happen for each shot.  But, I'm a varmint hunter, not a big game hunter.  A warm barrel is the norm.l

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
First round fliers?
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2005, 05:55:34 AM »
Yup, colony shooting is gonna require a barrel that will shoot warm to hot. Actually it's probably gonna require at least 2 rifles that will do that so you can swap em out!! My 22Hornet Handi will shoot 10 shots inside an inch at 100yds with most of em inside ½".

Offline Sourdough

First round fliers?
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2005, 09:53:11 AM »
Quick:  I don't understand about how a warm, or hot barrel will shoot well.  When I took my .223 to the range and started shooting, as the barrel heated up it started stringing the shots upward.  Does it eventually stop when the barrel gets hot?  If so that means you have to shoot several shots before getting down to serious shooting.  With no long breaks.  Also what is the address of the gunsmith that did your conversion?  The local gunsmithes here either don't want to do it or they laugh when I tell them what I want to do, as I leave they then tell me to come back when I get a real gun.  Boy, I hate some of those conseated Son-Of-A-Guns.  When I get to their shops all they want to talk about is going to Africa.  Why go to Africa when we sit in the middle of the best hunting in North Americia.  Some of the best hunting in the world.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
First round fliers?
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2005, 10:27:17 AM »
Sourdough...all of my Handi rifles start stringing after the 2nd or 3rd shot, some will shoot 5 shots or more depending on the caliber. I've never shot more than a 5 shot group for that very reason, with the exception of the Hornet. The Hornet just doesn't get real hot due to the small charge per caliber. I think it's just the nature of single shot rifles in the 2 piece stock/break barrel configuration. If the forend is bedded properly, I think stringing can be reduced or eliminated along with barrel bedding in the frame, but I haven't gone to all that work mainly because 1 or 2 shots is all I'll ever need for most of my hunting needs. I think knowing where that first shot from a cold barrel is going is all I need to know for my consistency. On some of the varmint calibers like .204, .223 and .22-250, I'm working on to attain more stability from warm/hot barrels. Forend bedding seems to be the best starting place. I'd also like to be able to shoot em from a bipod for colony shooting, forend bedding most likely being the starting place.

I had a model 760 30-06 Remington once that would string the shots right off the paper at 100yds if you just kept shooting, but the first couple were always consistent and I killed lots of game with that rifle, it just wasn't a target rifle, though!!

Wayne York is the smith that several of us have used, he's a great guy to work with, easy to use his services from afar. He's a hunter and in the process of moving to the east side of Oregon state, so he may not be available presently, but a call or email will let ya know his schedule for now. He has prices listed on his web site.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eoregunsmithing/index.html

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
PM
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2005, 10:43:33 AM »
Hi Quick,
Well yu wondered where I had been.  I sent you a PM.....I think.  I typed a long one, tried to attach a pic and lost it all.  Type another PM, just sent it.  If you don't get the PM, PM me again and I will try another one.  Donaldo
Luke 11:21

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
First round fliers?
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2005, 10:51:49 AM »
Donaldo, didn't get the pm, but sure am glad ta see you're still alive and well!! Was worried bout ya.....don't ever do that again!!!! :-D

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
First round fliers?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 11:06:02 AM »
My hornet is about the worst I have for stringing the first shot going about 5 to 6 in. hi at a 100yrds then they will come down after about 3 to 4 shotes to one good groups of my be a inch. Tried a few things to solve this but no luck yet. Maybe a trade in mite be next. But plenty of time for that latter.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Mainer

• Contributor
First round fliers?
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 01:44:50 PM »
coyotehunter:

I know what you mean about first round fliers.  :?  I took my HB .223 to the range today.  Last time I had it at the range the temp was in the low 70s, and it shot great.  Today it was around 50.  And I had really given the barrel a good (too good?) cleaning.  My first two shots were completely off the paper!! :evil:  I was shooting at 100 yds at a target dot stuck on the center of an 8.5x11" piece of paper.

The first two shots were so bad I thought I had loose scope rings.  However, after the first two shots things really settled down.  I even loaned the gun to an interested fellow shooter who fired two shots and had them touching each other in the black.

The only thing I can say is it appears that the rifle doesn't like a clean, cold barrel.  I had even run two clean, dry patches throught the bore before leaving for the range, so there should not have been any oil in the bore.
NRA Life Member

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
First round fliers?
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 03:42:18 PM »
The local gunsmithes here either don't want to do it or they laugh when I tell them what I want to do, as I leave they then tell me to come back when I get a real gun. Boy, I hate some of those conseated Son-Of-A-Guns.

That's something you will never get from Wayne...he is 1 great guy to deal with...and knows these Handi's real good....If some of your smithy's up there laugh about our Handi's ...then you know they don't know jack about them...course..it's a bit different when things have a tendincy to want to eat you to think that way about a single shot...but I'm sure you've already run into to that with your TCR 87 now haven't you... :wink:

You might want to check out the ballistics on the 338-06...I know it's not a 338 Win Mag...but I'm getting awful close to it..and just after deer season I will be working with some of the Barnes Triple shocks..GrandSlams,Kodiaks,and of course some Partitons...all heavy weights this time except for the Triple Shock...I want to work up to the velocity I'm getting now with the Accubonds...or better if the accuracy will hold for me..I'm going to need a real good Elk load besides the  factory 210grain Partition load..it's ok..right at 2700-2800 fps..but I had a whole box of failures with it..they of-course replaced it with a new box..and those did shoot just fine..but it worry's me if you know what I mean.

Mac

Offline Donaldo

• A Real Regular
First round fliers?
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 05:19:50 PM »
Quick,
Well, heck!  I did it twice, but will try again, maybe tomorrow, long day, getting sleepy.  Soon as I figure out how to attach the pics I'll show you what I been aworkin on.  Take care.  Donaldo.
Luke 11:21

Offline JPH45

Re: First round fliers?
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 06:51:40 PM »
Quote from: coyotehunter223
What, if anything, have you guy's done to help eliminate the first round fliers? Is this a result of a clean barrel or simply that it is cold? If it is cold, would waiting say 15 minutes between shots help? Thanks

Hehehehehehe :grin: I don't have the first clue, but boy I can sure sympathize with you. I spent 2 1/2 yeras with my 357 Max before getting to a point that I could shoot 10 shots into an inch at 50 yards on demand with cast. I'm lucky and have two loads that will do this, one at about 1200-1300 fps and one at about 1700 fps. It turned out that over time, the scope base had become loose. I do not know how long this was a problem, could have been 3 weeks, could have been 6 months.... I've no idea, but getting it tightened down made a tremendous difference, but every load won't do this.

I'm also lucky that my 38-55 exhibits the same characteristic at about the same velocities, this is with two different bullets in this case. My 44 Mag would do it with two different loads, my 30-30 was a bit more wild, my 45-70 nearly unpredicable.

It was nice to read Tims post to Sourdough, it confirmed whta I ahve suspected for a long time, that most Handis will shoot OK for 2 or 3 shots and begin to wander after that. These are hunting rifles and expecting day in and out target grade accuracy from them is a rather high expectation. I do have that expectation, afterall, practically all my shooting is a 50 yards. A rifle worth being called that should easily handle 1" at that range with something, but I can assure you, it has only been my 38-55 that was easy to get there, in fact did so with the first loads I shot through it and has done so ever since.

As to how, I relieve the screw hole in the forearm so that it doesnot bind on the barrels screw stud and leave the forearm just a tad loose, you should be able to feel the slack but not hear it. Aside from that a good trigger, and lots of shooting. I've found that my hold at first is not always the same as that of later shots and I can assure you that even a tiny bit of canting will result in bullets that strike outside a group. That doesn't explain the 3" and greater throwouts I've seen, and enough people have complained of the same that I believe there is a real problem with the Handi.

Some claim solutions, but I believe the best solution is finding a load the rifle likes and limiting the speed at which you shoot (time between shots) to not more than 1 in 30 seconds, 1 in 60 is better. You can burn a barrel up trying to find a good load, so be very honest with what you want to do with the gun. A deer rifle that will reliably shoot into 3" as far as you honestly expect to shoot game will bring home the venison everytime so long as you do your part. If that aint good enough (and it aint for my tastes) expect to spend a lot of time at the loading bench, a lot of time at the shooting bench, and expect to go through at least 2 if not 3 Handi's for every one you find to be a keeper. Or you can expect to buy a tuneable bolt rifle, put a high grade barrel on it and use your Handi for what it is, a beat around rifle that will steadily entertain you, burn up ammo and bring home some deer.

To put this in perspective, I've fired at least 8000 rounds through 5 Handis in 2 1/2 years. I found 1 to perform completely to my expectaions, no hassels, 2 that took a quite a bit of load development, and had I been willing to  use jacketed bullets only, 1 that was a real house burner. But it would not shoot cast to my expectations, a result of lousy, and I mean really lousy barrel dimensions. 1 barrel I didn't spend much time with, it didn't shoot cast well and I was not willing to spend the time and energy to find something it would shoot, I have better ways to spend my time today.

That's my story, no punches. I dearly love my 357 Max and my 38-55. Had I not needed some cash bad, my 44 would be in my house not my friends. I hope you find a way to get your gun to shoot as you like, but be prepared, it may not be an easy or simple journey, and you may find it will only shoot with one load. When they do shoot there's nothing like a Handi. When they don't......
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
First round fliers?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 07:21:15 PM »
but be prepared, it may not be an easy or simple journey, and you may find it will only shoot with one load. When they do shoot there's nothing like a Handi. When they don't......

True...how true..I haven't experianced the bad ones yet..but it's only a matter of time I'm sure..

Mac