Author Topic: kel-tec. 223  (Read 933 times)

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
kel-tec. 223
« on: October 20, 2005, 03:25:59 PM »
hey guys! im looking at a kel-tec su-16 223 rifle. are these any good??? what kind of accuracy can i expect with a scope? what kind of quality does this company put out? whats the going rate for one of these rifles??? my son has about taken over my bushmaster and id like to surprise him with a rifle for CHRISTmas so i can get the bushy back. let me know your opinions!!

Offline totallycustom

• Avid Poster
Not sure
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 11:45:17 AM »
Well I have never shot one but have thought about one, the design is definitely cool with the mag storage in stock ar type opperationg system, polymer for weight savings. But I dont know if the cost is that good though, compared to maybe an entry level AR like some of the olympic arms models. If your son likes the Bushy AR then I would look that way rather than the keltec unless your getting a screaming deal.

I often wonder about the longterm ( 30,40,50, 100 years) qualities of the plastic I know the stuff doesn't biodegrade but will it lose strength or shape over time.  I only say this because I like to shoot older guns (114,80, 40 or less years in my collection) and have something to pass down.  I know AR's have plastic on them but it's only stocks not the frame so that can be replaced.

Just a few thoughts Totallycustom
-TC-

Offline NWguy83

kel-tec. 223
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 10:56:30 PM »
My dad bought a 'Charlie' a few months ago and he loves it.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
KelTec 223
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:27 PM »
I have had four of the darn things the only problem I have ever had was keeping my wife, sons,and shooting partners from talking me out of themTher are several web sites Kel-tec.com they have a lot of very good info   hope this helps  Doug  .
a armed man is his own master

Offline phatspeed7x

Buy it!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »
I went to Snowball Mt. gun shop in Calumet MN, and talked to Dale about semi-auto .223 rifles. I wish I had the money to buy the Colt AR-15 on his rack, but $1100 is just out of my price range (ok way out of my price range). He asked me if I knew about the Kal Tec SU-16A, and I said I've heard of the SU-16C. He told me same gun, different stock. He had one on the shelf with a 30rd clip (not sold with gun, gun includes two 10rd clips). First thing I noticed was how light it was. Only 5lb, compaired to 9lb the colt weighed. I did like the folding stock, that's a very cool feature. The forearm can be used as a bipod. The feature that sold me was it accepted AR style magazines (and DPMS just came out with a new 45rd mag :)). Retails for $640, Snowball Mt. guns is selling them for $495. Now that's more in my price range  :-D . I told him I would put that gun on layaway next week.
Adam Hanson

Marlin Model 60 .22LR
Mossberg Int. 702 plinkster .22LR
NEF Pardner 20GA limited edition
Ruger P89 9mm
Winchester Model 1000 air-rifle
K98 mauser 8mm with ATI stock

Offline hardertr

• A Real Regular
kel-tec. 223
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 04:36:57 PM »
I compared the SU-16 and Armalite's AR-180 when I was looking for my first AR type (couldn't see spending a grand on san M-16 clone that I've learned to despise at work - Army).

It was close, but I chose the 180 because it seemed much sturdier, cleaner firing and better priced.

Now that the SU-16s have dropped below $500, I can see one in my gun safe within the next year.
The problem with troubleshooting is....sometimes it shoots back!