Author Topic: Browning Gage Reducers...Skeeters  (Read 497 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Browning Gage Reducers...Skeeters
« on: October 22, 2005, 07:07:18 PM »
Anyone ever used these.  I saw a couple packs on the clearance table at Gander this evening.  They were 12ga to 28ga.  They had em marked down to $19.99.  Is the pattern gonna really suck after coming through the wide open 12ga barrel?  What's the word, guys?  Anyone with experience with these things.

I know the price is a good deal as they retail, normally, for around $50.  The question is, are they gonna work for hunting?
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 09:52:49 AM »
I've got a set of 20 to 28 ga little skeeters.  They patterned ok, no real problem there.  From what I read about them , they do pretty good.
HOWEVER, the ones I have, since I went from 20 to 28, were on the thin side, and I used some HiVel loads, which is a no-no with these, (They say target loads only on the package).  Well, they swelled slighty, and shells get stuck in them, have to punch them out, they don't pull out easily.

The 12ga to 28 might have enough meat to prevent this.  At the worst, just use target loads.  Can be fun. Easier recoil.

One thing to be wary of, when using smaller than gauge shells with a larger gauge gun: IF you slip a 28 in a 12 ga barrel without the insert, then put a 12 ga behind it you WILL have a BIG problem.  I know it sounds hard to do, but ic can happen if you are the least bit careful.

Aother thought would be to have a 28 ga barrel fitted to the H&R...
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 09:57:12 AM »
Never really thought of getting a 28ga.  Only reason I posted about this is cause the Little Skeeters were marked down so cheap.  If I can find a pair of 12 to 410 in the bin(doubtful at that price) is will pick them up.  Thanks for the info and Good Hunting.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 10:36:51 AM »
How many inserts come in a pack? 1 or 2?....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 10:43:37 AM »
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 11:59:01 AM »
Yes, 2 to a pack.  Still tryin to get the link to come up.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 12:15:18 PM »
Read all the info on the link you posted, Andy.  Good Stuff.  I kind of expected that reaction, but I figured I would ask, just the same.  I did not buy them.  I have a hard enough time just trying to get my rythm back for repeater shots without having to stop and pry out stuck cases.  I guess more than anything I was just curious.  No wonder they had them marked from $52 down to $19.99.  Thanks
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

DELETED

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 01:53:15 AM »
DELETED