Author Topic: North Carolina Deer Hunting???  (Read 802 times)

Offline loaded4bear

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
North Carolina Deer Hunting???
« on: October 22, 2005, 08:11:10 PM »
Anyone here hunt deer in North Carolina? I will be moving to Wilkes Co. (north of Wilkesboro) & was wondering if anyone here has any information on the hunting scene in that area. I have heard that deer hunting is very good in the Wilkes/Alleghany Co. area, but was wondering if anyone on the forum has first hand knowledge as to the facts. Also,  is there any other big game hunting in that area (bear, hogs, ect.)? Thanks in advance!!!
NRA ( life member)
NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife WCC (volunteer)
NJDF&W Hunter Education Instructor
New Jersey State Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs (member)

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 11:52:45 AM »
I moved from rural NY 5 years ago. I sure miss old NY, but alas it is not there anymore. I have found good sport in my favorite venues..... deer and trout. You will be moving to a good deer area, and for starters there is state land near to get your feet wet. I have shot some nice bucks on non motorized wilderness state land... Be prepared for 2 things... This place is 4 wheeler happy, and you will not see near as many deer as say in Sussex county NJ. My advice is to start out on state land and then branch out to private... I hunt both, but only 2 or 3 days anymore on state land... I have had some real scary situations on state land. So I would take a year or so to get used to this. There should be some nice farmer / landowner you encounter, who will let you hunt. Again be prepared for fewer deer than NJ, and what appears to be a shoot anything mentality... Be assured there is good opportunity, once you get used to it... Good time to sharpen your hunting skills!!!! Good Luck!!!

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 03:23:24 PM »
Wilkes County is one of the better counties in NC for deer.  It has a good deer density and a good chance for a nice buck.  It's in the foothills coming out of the mountains of the far western part of the state meeting with the piedmont.  You're in much better deer territory than I am here on the coast IMHO.  Good luck this season.

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 01:00:01 PM »
Well, down here in the southern piedmont, it sucks! I'm originally from Tn., and I'll have to say the deer hunting is great there. Where I live ( mt. gilead) 15 miles east of Albemarle, there is spotlighting and hunting with the wrong weapon. As I write this there are 2 days left in archery season, but 2 days ago I heard ML shooting. ML season doesn't start til sat. Went to the game warden and informed him what was going on. He said there isn't much he could do.  :roll: At the end of the season, I might email the the Dept. of the Interior, and inform them of the ineptness of their people here. It's so bad here ( Mont. Co.) that I hear some people brag about the deer they kill whether it's season or not and hunting with the wrong weapon :x I've decided to hunt in Tn. but it's expensive!
                                                             tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline tscott

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 05:18:24 AM »
I'm with you Tommy.... I hunt one day a year on public land in Mont Co.
My private deal doesn't kick in til the Northwestern MZ season in a week... I can't wait!!!
I have hunted this close public land 5 times for the last 5 years, opening day only... I was spoiled with 2 nice bucks the first 2 years, that had me off the property by 9am... I have not seen a deer since!!! The last 3 years I hunted hard the whole day,
only to get out to the trail head and encounter much of what I saw in the woods... Slurred speech, obvious drinking, BS stories on how many bucks they saw, but are holding out for the big one. One woodchuck even told me that he misstook me for a deer, and it was a good thing I had my red hat on for identification. When I reported to the warden he laughed... "yea we know that guy, he's just crazy"! NY where I'm from
the DEC would close the place down until a handle could be gotten on the situation. I got smart some years ago, and took my NY Yankees vanity plate off the car. Thank god for my Southern Gentleman friend that let's me hunt his land up by the Virginia border.......In a week!!! I pride myself on safety and doing the right thing... I may never go back to public NC hunting!!!

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 03:05:45 AM »
tscott,

Where I'm from in Tn. I've been used to killing 11 to 12 deer a year. I'm a meat hunter. I'v only killed 1 deer in 6 yrs . since I moved here. Thank the Almighty, that I have a couple of friends back in Tn. that love to see me coming. I messed up in Oct., one of my friends took me to a spot and set me up. Stupid me, hooked up everything to pull up except my bow. Had to climb back down and from there it got bad. Got busted before I could get set up again. But like I said , that was my fault! Going back after the new year for the late season hunt in Tn.
                                                                          tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly