Author Topic: Scope mounting?  (Read 581 times)

Offline oktx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Scope mounting?
« on: October 25, 2005, 03:58:57 AM »
I went to Cabelas and had a new scope mounted on my rifle.  How tight should the screws be that hold the rings to the bases?  One was loose enough to turn with my fingers. I was told that it would not tighten more than that.

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
Scope mounting?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 05:35:19 AM »
If you can turn the screw on the ring with your hand it will not stay in place and your POI is going to be moving all over the place.  Which kind of rings are they?
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Catfish

Scope mounting?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 05:52:13 AM »
The only way I can think of to not be able to tighten a screw is if it has the threads stripped. If they charged you to mount it I would recomand that you go back and talk to someone that knows something and get your money back or have it done right.

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Scope mounting?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 06:20:49 AM »
Weaver rings,  I can't turn them any with my fingers but they will go more with a screwdriver.  I know I am not supposed to over tighten the the ring that holds the scope, thanks for the help.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Scope mounting?
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 02:14:37 AM »
The big screw that holds the rings to the base should be as tight as you can get them using a screwdriver. Note that recent Weaver rings need the crossbolts seated using a lot more pressure than you'd think proper before they will tighten up and stay put. The top screws should be pretty snug with a smaller screwdriver, but don't try to kill them.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Scope mounting?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 04:12:38 AM »
Thanks,  I went home last night and tightened them with a screwdriver.  I got almost two turns out of them.  oktx