Author Topic: Deer and coyotes with a scary ending  (Read 965 times)

Offline oldprofessor

• Trade Count: (0)
Deer and coyotes with a scary ending
« on: October 27, 2005, 06:37:21 AM »
I bowhunt hunt Illinois DNR administered state land of several thousand acres.  This land receives federal funding for habitat improvement and consists of open food plots and plenty of surrounding dense hardwoods.  As is typical of second-growth timber, there is an understory of brush, brambles, etc., which provides ideal concealment and cover for a healthy population of whitetails.  There is also a healthy population of coyotes this year.

Last Tuesday evening, at the last few minutes of legal shooting light, I called in a mature buck and I shot him as he was walking fifteen yards in front of me.  I heard the arrow strike flesh and knew it was a solid hit but did not hear it strike bone, as it would I have if it had penetrated the thoracic cavity.  I could see that he was badly hit as he bounded diagonally away from me and, at that time, I also got an appreciation for the quality of his antlers.  As he was approaching me, and as I was preparing for the shot, I was thinking about chops and venison roast and not about trophies.  A few moments later I thought I heard him go down and I mentally marked the spot where I thought I heard the sound.

I waited thirty minutes by my watch before climbing out of my tree and by then it was nearly dark.  I searched around the impact point for my arrow and blood but could find neither.  Since I thought I knew the general area where he should be I headed immediately for that spot, thinking I would soon find him on the ground.  But, there was no deer.  I next did what any hunter would do.  I went back to the point of impact and began an intense search for blood.  There was none, and by then it was dark.  I searched for another hour with the minimal illumination from my puny  l.e.d. headlamp.  I knew that I needed a more powerful light so I started walking the half mile back to my truck and it was then that I stumbled across my arrow sticking in the ground right where it should  have been.  The arrow was covered with dark venous blood but also held evidence of bowel penetration.  I knew I had a mortally wounded, or dead, deer but just didn't know where.  I returned with a more powerful light and searched for another three hours but came out empty handed.

Since I had seen coyotes during the day I knew they would soon find the deer so I returned the next morning at first light.  I searched until noon, took two hours for lunch, and returned ready to search until dark.  My tactic for the afternoon was to return to my tree stand and watch and listen for evidence that the coyotes had found the deer.  Except for a small yearling buck, I saw no activity all afternoon.  At dark, as I was climbing down from my tree, the coyotes announced that they had found the deer but since I was facing the tree and had my back to the sound I could not pinpoint their location.  But, I knew the layout of the land and the general area where the sound was coming from.

It was my intention to listen for the sound of coyotes feeding on the deer to lead me to it so I could reclaim it and see whether there was anything to salvage.  I would attempt to sneak up on them and shine my light to identify their location by looking for reflection from their eyes.  But, I wanted to have a gun along if I was going to run a pack of coyotes away from a deer carcass in the dark.

I went home, had dinner, and returned armed with a powerful flashlight and a handgun.  Since I have been hunting the area for several years and since I routinely walk in before daylight and out after dark I felt comfortable walking back to the area without a light.  There was no moon and the sky was overcast.  The only illumination was the faint reflection from the city lights several miles away.  It was impossible to sneak quietly with leaves and brush in the way; however, I crept into the woods as quietly as I could, carefully listening for sounds as I went.  A few yards into the woods I sat down and quietly waited for activity.

I had been sitting less than ten minutes when I was nearly scared out of my wits.  The entire pack of coyotes had sneaked up and began a chorus of howls just a few yards behind me.  I was so surprised in the first few moments that I could not find the button to my light, I could not reach for my handgun, and I could not think about what to do next.  The howling continued as the coyotes scattered and dispersed but they remained at a comfortable distance (for them and for me) as I rationally determined that I was outsmarted, outflanked, outmanoeuvred, and outnumbered.  I left they coyotes to their feast and returned home to an empty freezer.

I am typically not afraid of critters but I still get chills in my spine just thinking about it.  I do not think the coyotes would have attempted to prey on me.  They probably heard me sneaking in the woods and went to investigate.  When they determined it was a human they were stalking they set up their alarm howls.  It was very disconcerting that they were practically in my back pockets when they did so and it is apparent that, had they wanted to, they could easily have crept in for the kill.  I don't know how many of them there were but I guess about five or six.  It is amazing how stealthy they were in view of the fact that I was sitting quietly and intently listing for sounds.  I never heard them until they chose to let me know of their presence.

I have been beating myself up about making such a poor shot and losing the deer.  But I think I did everything I could have to find it and recover it.  I am more upset about losing all that venison but am also curious about his headgear.  I will wait a few days until the coyotes are finished with it and try again to find it to see about recovering the antlers.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 12:28:51 PM »
i think i would need some new pants after that one. i also think i would have wanted to go home with a couple pelts. lol

or at least scared them as much as they scared me. pistol bullets whizzing by them would scare 'em i bet.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 01:05:03 PM »
I dont know about your state but it would be illegal to recover the antlers from a deer you wounded and lost.Only animals that died of natural cuases,winter kill ect can be picked up here,in my state you are required to notify the F&G in a situation like yours.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 04:04:42 PM »
interesting.

well it wouldnt be any different than if the coyotes ran it down and he found the antlers, really.

too bad stupid laws make everyday living annoying.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 04:21:07 PM »
I have left 4 real nice sheep skulls laying in the hills because it is illegal to pick them up here regardless of the cause of death,they all belong to the state,so they say...Its a damn shame to have a nice bighorn set rotting on the side of a hill but thats way better than the average citizin being able to own one,right?I can understand having to report one if you found it but not being able to pick it up?Last time i took a bear in to get it tagged there was a pile of ram skulls on the floor of one of the offices,guess they need some more? :roll:

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 06:56:23 PM »
In your case Nonya I'm sure it's to keep folks from shooting game for which they can't get a tag legally and then later going back for the skull so they effectively have the game without a tag. But most states don't have such laws. At least not east of the MS river.

We can pick up any skull we find here in Bama. But ya know I've only found one buck skull in all my years of hunting to pick up and it was a spike. I do indeed have it tho.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline MT4XFore

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 05:13:48 AM »
"Antler/Horn/Skull Possession: Hunters may possess,
transport, sell, or purchase naturally shed antlers, or the
antlers with a skull or portion of a skull attached from a game
animal that has died from natural causes and that has not
been illegally or accidentally killed. Road-killed animals have
not died from natural causes; therefore, the carcass or parts
of protected or regulated species may not be salvaged or
possessed. It is illegal to possess a bighorn sheep head
picked up in the wild."

The preceding quote is from page 17 of the Montana FWP Hunting Regulations.  As Nonya stated, posession of big horn skulls is forbidden at all times.  However, I believe there might be some wiggle room for a situation like was mentioned above.  After all, it wasn't illegally taken or accidentally killed.  Since I'm not a lawyer (thank goodness) I'm not sure, but it sure seems to me that if I shot it I can retrieve whatever is left if it is claimed by another critter.  Course, here in some parts of Montana, the coyotes dont have a chance with the grizzlies and wolves!
You''re only as old as you think you are.....I''m still waiting on puberty, AGAIN!! :eek:

Offline NONYA

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 07:09:48 AM »
there is no wiggle room with the MT F&G,I will bet my but that if you called and explained that situation to the MT F&G it would turn into a big pain in the butt investigation that would end with the F&G taking the rack and you being lucky for not getting a waste of game ticket,they have no common sense or sense of humor,I have delt with them before and common sense is not so common in our local wardens,they are all looking for an arrest,all the old timers who had common sense have long ago retired.