Author Topic: More than one way to gut a deer  (Read 1041 times)

Offline ABaker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
More than one way to gut a deer
« on: October 29, 2005, 05:55:05 PM »
When I was growing up my Father always gutted his deer where they died. He always left the gut pile so something could eat it. After dragging the deer out of the woods he would hand it upside down in a tree to cool. It is usually very cold in Ohio during deer season. It was not uncommon to let it hang untill the next morning.

I joined the Air Force and left Ohio. I had a chance to hunt in Texas where they hang their deer head up and gut them hanging. Usually with a large tub to catch the innards.

How do you do it?
Go out and get yourself a Concealed Weapons License. I did. :wink: :gun4:

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 01:03:55 AM »
I normally drag the deer away from the place I shot it to a place I will not be hunting then gut it there.
If i had a place in the field that I could hang the deer and gut in I would do it that way, I think it is easer everything falls out  with little pulling from you and all the blood drains out instead of laying in the chest.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 02:59:20 AM »
I gut it right where it lays.  95% of the time the gut pile is gone the next day.  I have shot deer right next to a gut pile.

I don't have to worry about the general public seeing the gut pile, so it is not a factor in my gutting the deer where it lays.   :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 05:35:33 AM »
I've never seen that a gut pile disturbs deer.

Offline rickyp

• Trade Count: (19)
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 07:46:23 AM »
I just got back from the field I cleaned my doe from last night in. I wanted to try and find the bullet. nothing left bot some intestates and blood on the ground and this was with in 15 hours.

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:34:29 AM »
Generally my dad and Iwill gut our deer near to where they fall. If it is right on the bait pile I will drag it off in the woods a few yards. What I like to do is find a little ridge or hump to lay the deer on, so it's hind quarters are lower than the chest. Cleaning a deer on the flat level is OK too. I start by slitting up the abdomen, with one finger on either side of the knife blade to keep the intestines away. I will slit the hide right up to the neck. My dad only slits his deer up to the bottom of the sternum. What I have found is that it doesn't take much pressure to push a good sharp knife all the way through the sternum up to the neck. My dad ends up up to his elbows in deer trying to blindly cut the windpipe. when a deer is split all the way up I can just grab the windpipe through the chest and cut it off. I don't even get blood past my wrists. We both "tailpipe" our deer. We don't split the pelvis but instead carefully slice around the rectum and genitalia and pull the whole works out from the inside. We then drag our deer back to the truck.

Once we have the deer home or to camp, we will rinse the cavity out with a few buckets of cold water, then hang the deer from the neck and let it cool. It is usually bordering on freezing during deer season up here, so we skin and butcher the deer within a week or two. If it is really warm we will skin and quarter it the next day and freeze the quarters to work on later.

We leave the gut piles in the woods for coyotes. Deer see their own kind dead or half eaten all the time along the side of the road, I think. I tend to think the little ones aren't as afriad, but I wonder if the big deer don't skip town when they find a gutpile.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline Jimi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 11:41:30 AM »
I'm with you WillysJeep ('cept I split the pelvis)... I'll be heading for the Copper Country in 12 days. Normally you can hang deer as long as you want up there... though there have been a couple of years recently where it's been warmer and we've butchered them right away.

Wolves and coyotes are in hog heaven during deer season... just one gut pile after another.

And I too have shot deer virtually over a gut pile... one time later the same day.
WWJD?(What Would Jimi Do?)

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 11:50:23 AM »
Gut mine where it falls cause I usually drag them out myself (generally uphill) and don't need the extra weight. But... I usually don't open it up any more than have to cause they tend to get a bit dirty when you drag them a ways. I have also started to take off the legs at the joint. Seems to make them easier to drag.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 03:55:58 PM »
Quote from: dakotashooter2
Gut mine where it falls cause I usually drag them out myself (generally uphill) and don't need the extra weight. But... I usually don't open it up any more than have to cause they tend to get a bit dirty when you drag them a ways. I have also started to take off the legs at the joint. Seems to make them easier to drag.

I sure like the idea of take off the legs at the joint.  :D  Thanks....
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline ABaker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 04:09:19 PM »
I am all about loosing the extra weight, those guts are heavy. I have learned the hard way not to drag a buck by it's horns. I have seen them come off too many times. It makes you want to cry when someone jerks off a trophy bucks horn, especially before the pictures have been taken. I saw a guy once posing for a picture with his late season ten point holding both horns on, one fell off on the drag, and the other when they threw it in the truck. Where we hunt there is always a long drag, sometimes 1/2 mile. Usually have to stop and take several breaks!

Well, Friday I fly out for my big Bow hunt in Southern Ohio. I will post pictures if I get anything.
Go out and get yourself a Concealed Weapons License. I did. :wink: :gun4:

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
gut pile and wolves
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 04:19:54 PM »
My brother and I were on a whitetail hunt in Ontario.  He shot a nice 10pt. and gutted it out.  He was to wait for another person to pick him up at noon.  About 1hr after the shot a wolf comes down the atv trail and gets about 50 yards from him.  He is resting on a rock and looks up and there it is.  It just stepped in the brush, no noise, not ruckus.  He said for all he knew the wolf stayed right there.  When his ride came they loaded up the deer and went 3 miles to camp.  Had a sandwich and went back to look at an evening spot for his buddie.  They went right past the gut pile.  What there was no gut pile and only 45 minutes had elapsed.  There wolf tracks in the dirt and the wolves got diarea from eating it up.  Two different sized tracks.  Guess what our Canadian friend says the fired gun is a dinner bell and many hunters gut their deer out and crawl back in their stand for the chance at a wolf.  You only need a small game license and you can shoot as many as you can.  A lot easier than it sounds.

The answer to the question of did the first wolf leave is NO he or she stayed 50ft. away from the trail and waited for my brother to leave.  They went and looked at the tracks.  Kind of raises the little hairs on the back of your neck!!!!!     Buckfever

Offline Buckfever

• A Real Regular
Wolves
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 04:28:33 PM »
Should be a lot tougher than it sounds. I know everyone says they are afraid of humans.  However, if you were hurt from a fall and bleeding, I don't think it would have a happy ending.  We also have coyotes in MN and parts of Canada that are taller than normal and they are very aggressive.  The locals call them brush wolves. They will attack horses kept in corrals over night.  Bottom line use common sense and don't bleed.  This is still a lot better than having a Grizzly coming for you.  Buckfever