Author Topic: AZ coues deer hunt a success!  (Read 513 times)

Offline TCBrian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
AZ coues deer hunt a success!
« on: November 01, 2005, 11:42:53 AM »
Well, no pictures yet, but both my cousin and I both mananged to harvest coues whitetails out in AZ. That is a very unique hunt which requires good optics and lots of glassing. Both of us shot small forkies, but it was a lot of fun and my cousins first deer of any kind. I'll be back some day during one of the Dec rut hunts to work on getting a bigger one.
My cousins buck was shot at 270yrds cross caynon with a 300WSM and a winchester ballistic silvertip. It ran maybe 20yrds and dropped. Mine was shot at 330yrds with my 30-06 and a 150 gr Sierra game king. Those good old fasion sierras sure do a number on deer. Even at that distance, my deer didn't even move. Just dropped instantly on the spot. Of course, these are only about 100-110lb deer.

If anybody ever plans a coues hunt in AZ or Mexico, bring the absolute best optics you can afford. Good 10x42 binos are minimum. It was very hard to pick those little gray deer out of the cover. I had planned on using my 6.5x55 for the hunt, but quickly found out that my scope on that rifle was not going to cut it. Had to go to my trusty 06 which wears better optics.

What a great hunt, I would recomend hunting coues to anyone that is in good enough shape to do it. Awesome!

Good hunting,
Brian

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 10:37:41 AM »
Congrats on a good hunt.

I was out there several years ago doing some of the glassing for my brother in law that lives out there.  I am used to big woods hunting so this was a great experience.  But I never worked so hard in my life to hunt.  Everything stabs, grabs and pokes you out there.  We crawled over and thru stuff that I had never heard of.  He took a 3 x 3 with his 30-30 at 150 yds.  After that hunt he went out and bought a Win in 300 mag.  But it really was a great experience.  And you are right, better be in shape.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 12:31:44 PM »
:D I lived there for a couple of years and really enjoyed the hunting.  I had one fair sized buck play with me, he would show himself, then disappear.  I would try to move closer, see him, and he would disappear.  The next time I seen him, he was 4-5 hundred yards away and offered no shot.  This went on for about an hour.  I finally killed one, a nice little six point, but the rack seems huge. I would like to go back.  It was also fun digging turquoise out of the tailings from the copper mine near Bisby.  I found two pieces of beautiful sky blue about the size of a softball, several smaller pieces, and a piece of green just slightly larger than a golf ball.

I would sure like to go back, both deer and rock hunting.
 :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Offline TCBrian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 09:16:38 AM »
You are not kidding about everthing poking, stabbing and grabbing. I have been back now for 5 days and I am still nursing imbedded cactus spine wounds and other various injuries. The cactus, blackberry like bushes, mesquite, buck brush and who knows what else is definitely made to survive in  a harsh climate.
Still, it is a hunt a will definitely do again.

Good hunting,
Brian

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 11:23:25 AM »
Brain,

Please take this comment as intended(no flame)  :)  BUT may the bird of paradise fly up you and your cousin’s nose.   :-D  :-D   I have made two trips to New Mexico just to hunt Coues Deer and haven’t seen a decent buck yet.  What is the secret?  What am I doing wrong?  I would like to get one to finish out my collection.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline TCBrian

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:48:52 AM »
Lawdog,
I reserched the conditions for a couple years to find both prime conditions and a tag that we had a chance of drawing. We applied for unit 33 which had extensive wildfires a couple years ago combined with all that rain we got last year. Many of the AZ units will probably have there best hunting in decades within the next few years. If you want a trophy, apply for the Dec hunt when there are less tags and the deer are in rut.
I am moving to TN this spring, so I will probably start applying for New Mexico since it will be one state closer to me. I apply for AZ right now since it is closer to us unfortunate souls that live here in So CA.

Good hunting,
Brian

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 10:57:33 AM »
Brian,

Thanks for the information and I’ll start applying for that Dec. hunt in Arizona.   :toast:   Luck to you in your move and stay in touch.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline AZ300wsm

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 04:57:09 PM »
TCBrian,

Congrats on the deer. I hunted 33 with my wife and son for coues,all we saw were doe. We had to go easy,they are not used to long hikes up and down hills and thruogh the pokey stuff :) . I agree with you on  the december hunts.

Lawdog,

If you get a tag look me up .I would be more than happy to help. It never hurts to have a extra set of eyes.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 09:01:49 AM »
Quote from: AZ300wsm
TCBrian,

Congrats on the deer. I hunted 33 with my wife and son for coues,all we saw were doe. We had to go easy,they are not used to long hikes up and down hills and thruogh the pokey stuff :) . I agree with you on  the december hunts.

Lawdog,

If you get a tag look me up .I would be more than happy to help. It never hurts to have a extra set of eyes.

Brian,

Thank You.  You can count on it.  Lawdog