Author Topic: Simmons Whitetail Expedition  (Read 902 times)

Offline Johnny Reb

• Trade Count: (0)
Simmons Whitetail Expedition
« on: November 02, 2005, 12:40:45 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with this scope?  I'm looking at the 4x12x42.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy

Not fooled by the liberal media

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 01:44:21 PM »
Yeap, that's the, model I have 4-12x42mm on my H&R 30-06 UltraComp. In my honest opinion these are the best value in the industry for the money. Simmons discontinued them :evil: ,If you find them I say grab them. The clarity and brightness are excellent, and equal that of some higher dollar scopes. Field of view is great too. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another one myself.

Offline Johnny Reb

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 02:11:48 PM »
myarmor,

Thanks for the info.  I had read a couple positive reviews, but still wanted some info from someone who had used one.  The scope on my 7mm-08 went belly up (Simmons 44 mag), so I need to replace it, FAST!!!  I called the local gunshop and he said he recomended this scope, said he had it for $179.  I just can't afford to spend 3 or 4 hundred for a scope, I think I'll go with another Simmons.  What part of VA are you from, I'm from Bedford County.  Thanks again.

Johnny Reb

Offline myarmor

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 05:30:47 PM »
$179 is a tad step for it, but in my book it's worth it.  You can find them if you look hard for around $100-150 on the net. Did you send that 44Mag back to Simmons?
Oh and I'm in southwest VA, Smyth County. You got to love these mountains.

Offline Johnny Reb

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 11:51:29 PM »
Most of the ones that I've seen on the internet have been in the $225-$250 range.  I haven't sent the 44 mag back yet, I just realized something was wrong this past weekend.  I'm gonna try to get it in the mail this weekend.  I doubt seriously it'll be back to me in time to get it back on the gun by deer season.  Smyth Co., that's the Marion area, isn't it?  That's some pretty country down that way.  I'm with you on the mountains.  I spent four years in Ohio, flat, and lots of cornfields, I was one homesick/mountain sick little pup.  Couldn't wait to get back to VA.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 06:54:42 AM »
I've got 3 of the WTE right now, including the 4-12x, it's a great scope when the price is right, they were offered as a closeout at Sierra Trading Post last summer for $100 or so, they show up on Ebay frequently, also.

If you want a scope that is a bit better than the WTE, I suggest you check out the Mueller Extreme 3-10x44 if you don't need the AO...or if you really want to step up, the Mueller TacII...

http://www.muelleroptics.com/otherscopes.htm

http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=2313
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:13:29 AM »
Quote from: Johnny Reb
Smyth Co., that's the Marion area, isn't it?  That's some pretty country down that way.  I'm with you on the mountains.  I spent four years in Ohio, flat, and lots of cornfields, I was one homesick/mountain sick little pup.  Couldn't wait to get back to VA.

You been here before I take it. Yeah I live farther out in the country, but it's a nice place. And I hear ya on those flat lands, lose my sense of direction. Nothing to go buy :)  But like quick said you might want to seriously check out the Meullers, I have heard nothing but awesome things about them. And for the money you are going to be putting down anyway.
 I plan on buying one soon myself.
This is the route I'm going:
http://www.muelleroptics.com/8.5-25x44-Mil-Dot.htm
Excellent price that won't be around for long.