Author Topic: Question about your deer sightings?  (Read 358 times)

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
Question about your deer sightings?
« on: November 03, 2005, 04:58:17 AM »
I live on 20 acres that I food plot and supplement year around.  I am used to seeing deer basically everyday.  The last 3-4 days sights have been extremely scarce.  This always freaks me out because rifle season is the 12th.  My question is do you guys think this a post rut thing?  My other idea is the acorns have really started falling.  I thought maybe alot of the deer I have seen in the river bottom behind my house are now staying more in the hardwoods for the acorns.  Give you options.  Thanks

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 05:33:01 AM »
I would bet its the acorns...I love to hunt soybean, peanut,wheat and picked corn fields...But they love white oaks, pin oaks, chestnut oaks as well as beech nuts....When they start to fall...I move to the woods...usually within 100 yards of a cutover (bedding area)...Good Luck

Offline PEPAW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 08:29:12 AM »
If you do have a heavy mast crop, I bet the deer simply aren't moving in the daytime much because they aren't hungry.    They will really fatten up quick on that diet.
I have started fertilizing some of my acorn trees each year because the deer like and need them so much.  

pepaw