Author Topic: Buying a Hunting Rifle  (Read 900 times)

Offline Rodeo Rustler

• Trade Count: (0)
Buying a Hunting Rifle
« on: November 08, 2005, 12:04:52 PM »
All,

I am going to buy my first big game hunting rifle and have questions on the caliber.  I know everyone has there own opinion, but what is a good "starter" caliber for deer and antelope and elk?  I want to start with one rifle and eventually expand my collection.  I was thinking 270 Win, but is this enough for elk?  My other choice would be a 7mm Rem Mag...but might be overkill for antelope.  I know shot placement is a big part of the game...but whats the opinion of you all 270 Win or 7mm Rem MAg for antelope, deer, and elk?

Thanks!

RR

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 12:40:04 PM »
Well, opinions you will get, so here is mine (and take it for what its worth since Im no "expert  :wink:  :lol: .)

I think you are on the right track with sticking to the sub-bore (less than .30 cal.)  These smaller calibers have a reputation of being lighter in recoil with the more higher ones (like the 6 and 6.5 bores) still holding great B.C. bullets.  I dont know what kind of "recoil" experience you have, but Ill assume you are like the average person (me included) "the less recoil the better."  I think the .270 is a good choice, and depending on distances involved still holds its weight for elk.  Another great round to look at is the 6.5x55 Swede.  The Swedes have used for eveything from; War, match and some benchrest shooting, and taking down moose.  The 6.5 has a reputation of being accurate and good game stopping power.  Guns maybe a bit harder to find for this caliber though.

And of course there is still old standbys like the .280, 25-06 (which is probably too light for elk, but not Pronghorn).......and heck, lets not forget the .30-06 (which would basically give you a choice of ANY gun make you could possibly want.)

Brian
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 01:04:15 PM »
7mm 08 or 7mm Mauser! Good starting gun for deer balck bear and antelope. At medium range good for elk. Short action light weight!

Offline Lawdog

Re: Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 02:10:37 PM »
Quote from: Rodeo Rustler
All,

I am going to buy my first big game hunting rifle and have questions on the caliber.  I know everyone has there own opinion, but what is a good "starter" caliber for deer and antelope and elk?  I want to start with one rifle and eventually expand my collection.  I was thinking 270 Rem, but is this enough for elk?  My other choice would be a 7mm Rem Mag...but might be overkill for antelope.  I know shot placement is a big part of the game...but whats the opinion of you all 270 REm or 7mm Rem MAg for antelope, deer, and elk?

Thanks!

RR

An excellent starter caliber would be any of these three;

.270 Winchester
.280 Remington
.30-06 Springfield

Talking nearly apples and oranges here but any of these make a great starting caliber for Deer, Antelope and Elk.  If you're not going to be reloading then the .270 Winchester would be the way I would go.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 04:06:28 PM »
The only problem with Lawdogs choices for a beginner rifle is that you may like them so much you will never see the need to try anything else.  They would certainly be my 1st choices and still are the calibers that I like best, along with the 7m-08..

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 04:59:01 PM »
Don't know your size or tolerance for recoil, but my favorite cartridge is 30-06. I'm only 5'8" and can (and have) shot it all day. I shoot a lot more on the range than hunting.

As I get older I'm looking at looking at .270, .308, and 7mm-08. Not because of recoil, but for lighter rifles.

My next purchase is looking more and more like 7mm-08. Gee, a .284 in a short action (.308) cartridge. What's not to like.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline victorcharlie

Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 01:27:20 AM »
Had 2 very happy gun trading days.......one was when I traded my very accurate Remington 788 in .243 for a Winchester model 70 XTR in 7mm mag.  I didn't reload at the time and about the only factory ammo available in those days was the 175 grain load...........I don't know if the winchester didn't fit me right or what, but that darn thing kicked the snot out of me..............

The next happy day was when I traded the 7mm mag off for another .243.....this time in a Ruger 77.

I currently own a couple of .270's now........recoil isn't exactly light, but is not to bad..........

There are lots of things now that can be done to reduce felt recoil from a rifle and recoil reduction was not thought about much when I had my 7mm mag.........One of my favorite guns to shoot now is a Marlin 1895 in 45.70........a pretty heavy kicker for sure.......but from memory, not near as bad as that darn winchester model 70 in 7mm mag...........

I think you should buy which ever caliber suits you, but you'll shoot better, and more often if the rifle is comfortable.........I'd think long and hard about the .270.........should do most anything you want to do.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Savage .250

Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 01:47:25 AM »
Either would be good, but i do like the .270.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Rodeo Rustler

Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 10:09:27 AM »
Thanks for the input all...just bought a Rem. ADL .270 at the grand opening of Bass Pro Shop here in Denver..$300.  I guess not bad for a starter rifle.  I look forward to getting a scope on try it out!  Thanks for the input!

rr

Offline Lawdog

Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 10:37:50 AM »
Congratulations and keep us informed on your new rifle.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
Buying a Hunting Rifle
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 12:32:40 PM »
Ahhh yes, the classic Remmy.  Good choice and good luck.

Brian
P.S. If your looking for some good glass for that baby check out the Bushnell 3200 Elite series.  I just got one and am amazed at the quality for the price.
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association