Author Topic: Scent Control  (Read 527 times)

Offline Brian T

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Scent Control
« on: November 13, 2005, 08:49:46 AM »
Do you think the "Sent Lock" type clothes are necessary?  Anyone had good/more success since starting to use them?

Offline Johnny Reb

Scent Control
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 01:14:48 PM »
I've never used the scent lock, or scent blocker clothing, I can't really afford to spend that much on hunting clothes.  A few years ago me and my hunting buddy started a "scent elimination" process that has worked well for us.  

Before the season we wash all of our clothes in a scent free detergent (usually Hunter's Specialties.)  We then hang them up to dry, outside if possible.  We place them in an air tight container, with three of the Hunter's Specialties scent wafers (Fresh earth scent.)  Before hunting we bath in a scent free body wash.  We wear rubber boots, and when we get to the stand we hang more of the Hunter's Specialties scent wafers in the tree with us.  

Since we've started doing this, we've not only seen more deer, we've also had several deer within spitting distance.  The deer never new we were there.  I've had deer that have spotted me, and circled all the way around me, to try and wind me, they usually don't smell me.  Just last Saturday I had a small 4 pt buck within 10 yds of the stand.  He walked out the same way that I had walked in, never winded me.  You will never be 100% scent free, but this method has worked well for us, and is much cheaper than the high priced clothing.
Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy

Not fooled by the liberal media

Offline Johnny Reb

Scent Control
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 01:38:46 PM »
I forgot to add that we aslo use a scent free deoderant, and a scent eliminating spray (if we get hot walking to the stand.)
Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy

Not fooled by the liberal media

Offline rockbilly

Scent Control
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 03:36:23 PM »
:-D Did you know that one of the most detectable scents is your breath?

Think I am kidding?  Look it up. :D  :D  :D

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Scent Control
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 04:42:28 AM »
I had a doe walk within 5 feet of me and never detected me. Was crossbow hiunting, laying on the ground. Use the dirt scent wafers and spray, red  fox urine, menthol cough drops to keep the coughs out.

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
Scent Control
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 07:18:16 AM »
I heard this about the breath before. I read a tip somewhere about eating apple slices to help with breath.
NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline victorcharlie

Scent Control
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 08:18:46 AM »
I try to stay down wind from where the deer should be coming from.........I also wash my hunting cloths in Arm & hammer no perfume laundry soap.......then hang my cloths in the barn until I'm ready to hunt......figure if I smell like a cow then the deer won't care...?????
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater