Author Topic: Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky  (Read 792 times)

Offline jh45gun

• Trade Count: (0)
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« on: November 16, 2005, 02:54:59 PM »
Well came from the hospital today after having a follow up Sygmoidoscopy from my recent Colonoscopy. One of the Polyps that I had was cancerous but they got it all as the cancer was in the center and had not spread. He told me Tell your brother he probably saved your life as if I would have waited it would have spread. (My Brother just had Colon Cancer surgery for the same thing) They took a Biopsy of the site to make sure but he said it really looked good to him and he figures he got it all. Just posting this to say if your over 50 get R done. I am 53 and if I had waited a other 6 months or maybe a year or longer it would have been too late. It is not that bad of a procedure and it may save your life. I just thank my brother and the good Lord I went in when I did. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline GBO MGMT

• Administrator
  • Avid Poster
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »
These days they say it should be done first at age of 40 and immediately if anyone in your immediate family are found with the polyps. Both Faye and I had them so all our boys need the test. We both told our siblings but don't think any of them did anything about it. Her mom did and had them.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 03:04:37 AM »
Suppose I should 'Git-er-done'.  (Cringe) My dad had polyps removed on a couple of occasions.  Need to get the ol' prostrate checked too. (cringe again).
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 03:07:39 AM »
I get the Supreme Ream every couple of years.  The flexible sigmoidoscopy is very effective for me and thankfully I don't need anesthesia for the process.  They just blow hot air up my butt, but as uncomfortable as it is at least I can walk out on my own power - although I always git dem walkin' farts afterward.  So far, so good.  Mikey.

Offline jh45gun

Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 03:34:40 AM »
The Flex is good if you only need the first part of your colon checked but for the whole thing you need a colonoscopy. Either one is not that bad. In fact the only bad part is the process of cleaning your self out the day before and even that is not bad just a bit inconvenient thats all.  It's no big deal and it may save your life. I think they are finding more because folks now days are going in for the test. Thats good.

Offline williamlayton

Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 10:46:11 AM »
I have had polyps removed twice-all clear--but I am not as much a man as you boys. While it does not take long I had a local the first time and it wore out before he got thru clipping. Talk about pain.
I did not go back to that one again. The second time, this summer, I told the Doc I would not go thru that again and he provided an anesthesiast and all went well.
I try to tell these doctors that pain medication just does not work on me but they think they know better. Boys I can take percodan and drive to Austin without a hint of any affect.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mr.frosty

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 10:46:44 AM »
oh god and i just turned 40 in july....sheesh and i have to get it done
soon too walkin fart wunder where that came from  :D
" People should say what they mean and mean what they say. Life is too short to be lead down the wrong path."

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 11:47:54 AM »
After you have it done you'll wonder no more.  :)  They fill you with air while doing this. They hold you until you pass some but not nearly all of it. You're in for a real fun experience.  :roll:

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Shorty

Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 01:39:50 PM »
Jeesh, I remember when "real men" didn't talk of such things!  :lol:
This conversation sounds like the common room in a nursing home!  :roll:
'Bunch of old faht baby boomers!  :wink:

Yeah, I had the procedure too.  General anesthesia, best high I ever had!  8)
  :D

Offline rockbilly

Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 02:59:07 PM »
:(  :( Ouch.........My doctor sends me an appointment card every two years.  Been doing that since I turned fifty.

It ain't fun, but it may save my life, so I keep going back.  Its a joke, I tell him he only schedules me when he is about to trade cars. :D

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 10:00:37 AM »
Had a colonoscopy done last year.   The harderst part was not eating for 24 hours, and taking that syrup.  At the hospital they just put in an IV, made me comfortable, told me to role onto my side and say night night.  Next thing I remember was being in an elevator.  I asked if there was a problem?  Aren't you going to do the procedure today?  Her response was, we did it, you're done, you can go home in two hours.   Could have fooled me.  Felt normal, started walking around in about twenty minutes, fouty minutes later I walked out of the hospital, and drove myself to the nearest eatery.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 12:03:37 PM »
No chow for 24 hours!!!  For me that may be worse than the actual procedure.  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 05:23:23 PM »
My experience is the same as Sourdough's. Except I woke up during the thing and started asking stupid questions the I passed out again.

Beware any doctor that says "oh you're fine, don't need one for another 10 years"......a fitness for duty exam doctor said that and I laughed in his face. Get it done as often as you can get your insurance to pay for it......every 2 years over 40 isn't bad. Same with the prostate........40+ go see the man with the gloves and the smile! Get it done. Since I saw the urologist 2 years ago HE got prostate cancer and had his prostate removed! He's 70....and said to heck with it because of his age and had his prostate cut out.

Be aware, be safe

RR

Offline jh45gun

Lucky, Lucky, Darn Lucky
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 02:32:55 AM »
They say every man living will develop prostate cancer if you live long enough.  :cry:  It might not kill you something else might first but you will have it and in the long run it might kill you if you live long enough if some thing else does not first.  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: