Author Topic: Stainless NEF .243 won't eject fired brass!!!  (Read 658 times)

Offline HOGBUSTER1

• Trade Count: (1)
Stainless NEF .243 won't eject fired brass!!!
« on: November 18, 2005, 08:42:10 AM »
Hey guys
I just picked up a slightly used Stainless/Synthetic .243 today. I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning, mounted a 3X9X40 Simmons and boresighted it. Went to the range with the only two Fed factory rounds I had left and a box of my 95gr reloaded Partitions, that my daughter uses in her SAVAGE. The first fired factory round ejected fine, the second fired factory case stuck in the chamber. There happened to be a fellow on the becnch doing a break in procedure on a rifle so I asked to use his cleaning rod to tap the stuck brass out. I inserted one of my reloads into the chamber and closed the action then reopened it and the round ejected fine. Loaded another reload into the chamber and fired it. When I opened it up, it was stuck as well. I have never experienced this with my H&R Ultra .223 or .308. Could I have a rough spot inside the chamber? I looked everything over with a borelight and couldn't see anything. I may try and polish the chamber with FLITZ and see if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Stainless NEF .243 won't eject fired brass!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 08:53:57 AM »
Polish the chamber, see the sticky on cleaning and lapping. It's SOP for all ejector equipped rifles. The new extractor equipped rifles eliminate the issue. :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline norman rea

• Trade Count: (0)
sticky NEF/HR ejection
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 08:55:51 AM »
My grandson has an HR 20g. It also sticks on ejection quite often. Look at the chamber, I'll bet there machine marks in the chamber. When the cartridge expands during firing it will stick. I think any polishing will help. :D

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 01:41:22 PM »
On our handis with rimless cases this is not so uncommon. But it is generally, NOT a major issue.
 Clean the chamber! Before shooting, sure your chamber is clean and DRY, especially, NO OIL!

Try Tims suggestion, take a REALLY good look at the brass that came out of that chamber.
 I have found that too much OIL in the chamber is likely the trouble.

GOOD LUCK!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline HOGBUSTER1

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 02:23:17 AM »
I polished thr chamber last night with FLITZ and a fully sized once fired brass that was fired in this rifle. Gave it a real good cleaning that included JB bore cleaning compound and Shooters Choice. Then dried the bore & chamber completely. Once it quits raining im heading to the range and see how she does with some 105gr SPEER and VARGET and fully sized RP brass.
Just a thought! Has anyone had ejection problems with FEDERAL Brass. I Fired 10 rounds yesterday morning and every one had to be tapped out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle? :?
Thanks for the help so far!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 03:20:41 AM »
Nope..I've used a bunch of Federal's shells in my rifles and none sticked..see how it does now that you've polished and dried the chamber...it shouldn't stick..You can also mike the brass and compare it to the new unfired brass and see how much expansion your getting at the head..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline HOGBUSTER1

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 02:26:55 AM »
Returned to the range yesterday morning with the NEF Stainless .243 and a box of FACTORY REM 100gr CORELOCK's. The outside temp was 22 degrees. Every spent case ejected as advertised with pretty good groups at 100 yards. :o  I think if I reload for this rifle I may need to use a small base sizeing die instead of my RCBS FL sizer die. Untill then I guess my daughter will use FACTORY ammo. :D
Thanks for the help!

Offline 218Bee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 05:27:24 AM »
Glad it worked out for ya, Hog.

I've had to run my die down a lil red one with my 'o6. The unfired factory round would fall out of the chamber when I held the barrel upside down. The resized round would not, until I ran the die down an extra 1/8-1/4 turn. The "smaller" reloads group better as well, reducing  bad vertical stringing.

Enjoy,

Rick
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
-- Robert A. Heinlein