Author Topic: Ameristep doghouse  (Read 738 times)

Offline buckeye hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Ameristep doghouse
« on: November 18, 2005, 10:29:13 AM »
I am going to be hunting out of an ameristep doghouse portable blind next week.  I was wondering how these coiled spring blinds do in the wind?

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 03:22:27 PM »
make sure you use the tie downs , and keep the windows cinched tight so they don't flap in the wind. I've had good success w/mine hunting in an open hay field next to the round bales. I hunt Near St.Clairesville
Kevin

Offline buckeye hunter

• Avid Poster
Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 08:28:20 AM »
N.T.

Offline olbiffer

Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 12:33:11 PM »
buckeye hunter, we use a couple of ameristep outhouse blinds both here in the u. p. and on n. manitou island and as long as you use the tie downs as mentioned before they will stand up to a lot of wind. make sure you practice folding that thing up a few times cause they can be a pain to get back into that neat little disc again.

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 01:55:18 PM »
We have also used them for several years in the U.P.  They work real well.  But after several days of hunting out of them, in cold weather, you will get condensation on the inside so they will drip every once in a while.  Also stay back from the shooting window that you use.  If your face gets close to the window you will look like a headlight to the deer.  Finally, we use a shooting stick for steady aim a/c the windows don't have anything to rest your rifle on

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline oktx

• Avid Poster
Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 07:17:37 AM »
I have the outhouse blind and me and my small son can both get in it but we are alittle cramped is the doghouse blind any bigger?  Thanks oktx.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 10:56:21 AM »
Oh yeah a LOT bigger. I used an outhouse once and I felt rather crowded in it all by myself.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 12:54:55 PM »
I bought an outhouse first cuz its cheap & I'm cheaper. :)  Far as I'm concerened its big enuff for an outhouse in emergencies but not hunting. Got a couple of the regular 5'x5' doghouses & while not roomy by any means theyre big enuff to hunt from & easy to tuck away in the brush. I also got a Hunters view lodge I think its called. 7'x7' & I think 7' high too. Plenty big that one & you can stand & stretch after awhile. These are all spring hoop blinds & like the others said if you tie them down they stay put. I have 2 out now that I set up back in Sept & theyre fine. Wet heavy snow can squash them but mine at least didn't get damaged, just broom off the snow & they pop back up. I'v come to like these blinds alot for bowhunting, never tried them with a gun but cant see why they wont work.
Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline varmit_master

• A Real Regular
Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 07:55:52 PM »
Hi i have one i only used it one time on deer. Becasue it was raining. But i have use them a bunch in spring turkey season and they work great then. VM :D

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Ameristep doghouse
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 02:34:04 AM »
I have one and used it several times. Just make sure you tie it down in the wind.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA