Author Topic: ush 12 scope base  (Read 474 times)

Offline C.J

• Trade Count: (0)
ush 12 scope base
« on: November 19, 2005, 05:25:02 AM »
was removing my scope today on my ush to put on another gun and the first screw on the base (biggest one) was loose i figured it was to tighten the base to the gun so i tried to tighten it only to relise it didnt tighten,it just raised the front part of my base witch isnt good cause the rear was tightened so it might have bent it when i relised this i quickly reversed the screw and the base came back to rest as it normally would my question is will this be a problem when i mount the new scope and did i bend the base it looks okay i just want to be sure thanks for the help

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
ush 12 scope base
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:39:56 AM »
First, how many screws and cross slots are in your base? Sounds like you may have an Ultra base that they put on the varmint rifles. This base has three mounting screws in the rear and a standoff screw on the front with set screws on each side for the contoured barrels to strengthen the cantilever. This base is 6 inches long and has 6 cross slots, the standard base is 5 inches long and has 5 cross slots.

Is your USH a 12ga? Maybe they put the Ultra base on the 12ga since it is actually a 10ga blank. My 20ga USH has the standard base and it makes full contact over it's entire length.

Its hard to say whether you bent your base or not, but you could lay a straight edge such as a metal ruler or something lengthwise on top and check for any gap in the middle.

If that screw has set screws on each side of the base, then you have an Ultra base, that screw is just a standoff screw and there is no hole in the barrel. The three screws in the back of the base are the mounting screws. Hope that helps.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline C.J

ush 12 scope base
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 03:25:48 AM »
i guess i got the varmint rifle base cause its exactly the way you described it what reason would they have the stand off screw for i dont get why its needed. will a standard slug gun base fit my gun if my base is bent (going to check tonight)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
ush 12 scope base
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 06:51:17 AM »
The radius might be different on the 12 USH, not sure. On the rifles, the barrels radius gets smaller beyond the chamber and that is where the standoff comes in. On your USH it's probably not needed, but I wouldn't change it if it works.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline C.J

ush 12 scope base
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 08:41:59 AM »
well i checked the base on a ruler and it is very slightly bent upward at the front where the standoff screw is no more then a 16th" will this be ok it sits very close to flush on the barrel but it isnt perfect

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
ush 12 scope base
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:37:19 PM »
C.J.,

That is going to have to be your call, maybe it won't have any effect on it.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline C.J

ush 12 scope base
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 06:20:26 AM »
if i decide to get a new one where can i get it do i have to order it from HandR