Author Topic: "Walk The Line"  (Read 1037 times)

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
"Walk The Line"
« on: November 19, 2005, 09:16:19 AM »
went to see the Johnny Cash biopic last night, and all i can say was "WOW!" best movie i've seen in years. i was blown away by the fact that all the actors did there own singing and picking, there was no dubbing whats so ever. i'm going back to see again tonight. maybe i'm a little biased, cuz all i've listened to since i was 6 years old was Cash, but would reccomend this movie to anyone, wheter they like country music or hate it. a great story of a great man.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 09:54:15 PM »
Did they show the pickup full of pills?
Cash got his act together, finally, but he and Waylon burned the candle at both ends.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline kevin.303

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 10:20:36 PM »
yes he had a lot of pills, and when they where cleaning him out you see mother maybelle carter chasing his dealer of with a 12 gauge. funniest part of the whole movie. funny you should mention Waylon. his son Shooter plays his father in a few brief scenes.
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 07:46:26 AM »
I was in school in Nashville in the late 60's. One evening I ran into Johnny and June as I was going into a Luby's cafeteria and they were coming out. My jaw dropped, they smiled politely and we went our separate ways. They seemed like nice folks.

Offline ShadowMover

• Contributor
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:20:34 AM »
Is it just me, or is anyone getting tired of the celebrating over low life celebrities getting off drugs and booze and having to deal with reality like the rest of the world?  These people make a hundred times the money we do, and can't manage their lives any better than some spoiled brat, and we are all supposed to feel sorry for them? Ditto for the overpaid sports celebrities.
I saw the movie. It had some compelling scenes. The best one was when Cash's old man told him off at the end. Cash was a rich, spoiled crybaby.
If you want to idolize someone, let's pick a soldier who leaves his home and has to fight for his life. Maybe we should follow up and see how Cash's ex wife and kids managed after he ran them off?  Yeh,  I know, no fun, because they can't sing or throw a ball. We subsidize this loser culture with our money, and wonder why the world is turning to trash in front of our eyes.

I'm off my soapbox now.

Offline Nixter

• Contributor
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 06:07:13 PM »
ShadowMover, I can relate to your feelings about celebrities getting special treatment.

I myself have no feelings of empathy much less sympathy for any sports/musician/celebrity getting special treatment just because of their status.

Lots and lots of the average Joe has or is struggling with addictions or personal demons and they are treated as under class citizens. If that same individual were a sports star or tv/movie/music celeb, they would get special treatment in the courts and from the general public.

Also agree on idolizing a serviceman or woman instead of the so called celebs. It seems that with my limited media exposure, most celebs just bash the US. I feel that the American Service Person deserves more than that. Entertainment type and sports celebs do their thing for themselves.

Our American Service Men and Women do it for their Country.

If I had earned the right to salute them, I would. But I never made it to the service. So I salute them in words.

Thank you to all, past, present and future defenders of our country and beliefs.

Nixter

Offline Slamfire

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:35:44 PM »
Celebraties are part of a mutual admiration society.  :roll:
Bold talk from a one eyed fat man.

Offline ajj

• A Real Regular
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 02:42:39 AM »
Lots of average Joes fall into drug addiction but very few celebrities eat at Luby's. :wink:
Just didn't want anybody to miss the point of my post. I have no interest in country music and was never a Cash fan but I hear that the movie is good which was, of course, the point of the first post. Don't take any of this stuff too seriously.

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 03:34:47 AM »
I agree that this is one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time.  It is a celebration of the music more than anything else.  The REAL part of the  film is what happens on-stage between the two main characters.  The rest is just standard bio-pick drivel by comparison.

I met Cash in a hotel in Portland in 1976 - a pleasant fellow who had a hard life, at least in part due to his own choices.   We all make choices, some of which are poor ones.  But like many of us he overcame his weaknesses and made the rest of his life worthwhile.   If you don't like seeing dope, good old boys and outstanding musical performances, then don't see the film.    :D

Offline jh45gun

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 05:41:04 AM »
If you want to idolize someone, let's pick a soldier who leaves his home and has to fight for his life. Maybe we should follow up and see how Cash's ex wife and kids managed after he ran them off? Yeh, I know, no fun, because they can't sing or throw a ball. We subsidize this loser culture with our money, and wonder why the world is turning to trash in front of our eyes.

Cash Seved in the airforce so he did serve his country. If your going to complain about some one having a divorce then you better get on a big soap box since the divorce rate in this country is way over 50%. Same with the drug issue and while we are on that subject I know of many a guy who went to the service and got hooked on drugs or at least took them while in the service so your soldiers you are rightly proud of may not be squeaky clean either yet they may demand our respect so should Cash get no less. He quit the drugs many do not he should be at least given credit for that if you do not want to admire him. The thing is there may be lots of folks you do admire that are on drugs that keep it hidden. Cash's addiction was well known others are not.  Some of you guys seem to forget the message of casting the first stone!  :wink:
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline BamBams

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 06:00:46 AM »
Excellent post Jim!  And very true.
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline jh45gun

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 06:16:34 AM »
I forgot to add that I think some one like June Carter Cash deserved a lot of credit for getting Cash off of pills and sticking with him many would have not.

Thanks BamBams.  :grin:

Offline Sourdough

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 11:55:50 AM »
I have to agree with jh45gun.  I haven't seen the movie yet, but I personnally knew Johnny Cash.  I grew up in Hendersonville Tennessee.  We lived just down the road from his house.  When June and Johnny bought that house, Roy Orbason was their next door neighbor.  In 1967 Roy's two older sons were playing with a can of hairspray and matches.  They died in the fire.    Johnny bought the property, cleaned it up, and built a memorial for the two kids.  I stop there everytime I go and visit my folks, Roy and those kids were close friends.  

In 1968 our high school band was planning on going to the Orange Bowl parade, I was a senior that year.  Our highschool principal (who hated the band) spend all the school funds on a new football stadium.  That ment that we had no money to go to the parade.  Johnny Cash decided we had been treated poorly by the school system, so he decided to do something about it.  Johnny challenged the other entertainers that had kids in that school, or lived in the area, to get togeather and give a benifit concert for our band.  It was a great success.  Johnny and June headed it up, along with Boots Randolph.  Roy Acuff, Waylon, Bill Walker, Loretta Lynn, George Jones, Tammy Wynett, Billy Golden and the rest of the Oak Ridge Boys, were just some of the people that helped out.  Thanks to Johnny we went to Miami and had the time of our lives marching in that parade.  

I'm hesatant to see this movie.  I'm afraid I would be checking it against reality, instead of sitting back and enjoying it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline jh45gun

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 02:27:07 PM »
Well Sourdough you knew the man we did not. Maybe you knew only the good and not the bad so the bad may bum you out a bit but John and June picked these folks to do the movie before they died so they must have had faith in them and they must have ok'ed the script.  I went and watched it tonite and I am glad I did. Now I have to say that the Phoenix and Witherspoon did excellent jobs playing Johnny and June I think they should be nominated for a Oscar for  best Actor and Actress for the jobs they done. Now that is pretty good praise coming from me since Phoenix is a tree hugger and Peta person and I am not real big on them folks not at all. But I have to give credit where credit is due and he nailed the role as did Witherspoon.

Offline jh45gun

"Walk The Line"
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 02:44:31 PM »
Forgot to add this is the first movie I have went to in ages I normally wait for the DVD to come out and before that the tape :) Anyway darn glad I went.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »
I haven't watched the movie yet, but I will soon. No doubt, Mr. Cash had
his bad habits & to his (& June's) credit, he overcame them.

When I was a kid, Johnny Cash was considered a hero here in his home State, as he rose from poverty & became a star. Our area, Eastern AR. was a melting pot for Country, Rock, Blues & Rockabilly! Most of these
entertainers were from a poor background in AR., TN., & Ms. & at that
time they came together in Memphis & the rest is history. It was a rare
opportunity back then to see locals make it big.

No doubt later on people spoiled him, but when I think of a spoiled brat,
I think of a kid growing up soft. I don't know what was shown in the movie, but his early years as a son of a sharecropper would be far from
spoiled! Chopping Cotton, picking Cotton, hauling hay etc. in 100 degree weather with high humity & mosquitos is no picnic, been there, done that!
I would bet that some reading this has never had a dose of that!

Yes, he had his bad habits & I did not idolize him. But I did respect him for
overcoming & for his music . I believe that he tried to make things right
with his Maker & with the people around him, & to me that means that
there was little else that he could do.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
"Walk The Line"
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2005, 04:04:25 PM »
havent seen the movie....

now let me weigh in on CASH...  

his music is timeless; and some of my favorites.  and just for the record, i am a heavy metal fan.  he is my grandmothers favorite artist- an she is as salt of the earth as they come.   you know anyone else that can touch that big of a demographic difference?  

did he have his demons?  yep.  so do i.   i would rather he put it out there than try to present himself as a holier-than-thou picture-perfect celeb.   he was human, and made human mistakes.  he was strong enough to overcome some of them.   i think he was humble;  i never saw him prop himself up on a pedistal.  

the man sang the praises of soldiers,  hard work,  redemption, and God.  

what more do you want?   some of you really need to get a perspective.

but if you dont get johnny cash,  there aint a whole lot i have to say to you.