Author Topic: 257 Roberts drops big bull Moose  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
257 Roberts drops big bull Moose
« on: November 19, 2005, 01:33:06 PM »
A good ending to the big game hunting season with another WT deer and a halve bull moose. My friend shot the moose through the lungs he was heading for the bush when I dropped him with a shot behind the  ear at about 30 yards. Six animals with six shots, four with the 257 Roberts.

The 100gr Hot Core bullet nearly penetrated the through the neck 12" or more of solid cartilage, muscle and bone. The 165 gr Federal bullet from the 06 did not do a very impressive job as far a penetration is concerned it disintegrated in the lungs.  Could not find a shread of it.

One young man in the hunting party shot a buck deer with a 6mm Rem. After the shot the deer ran into th bush and a few minutes later darkness set in. We found the blood trail with lights, followed the trail for an hour in the dark  The deer double back in the direction it came from and fooled the searchers for a long time and we never did find the deer.
The search went on this am. Don't know if it was found since I left for home?

I ask the young man what kind of bullet he was using and he did not know.
Many people do not understand how importent a good bullet is and how super critical bullet placement is with the small bores  . That is why I don't advocate the use of the 6mm's on deer for  the once a year hunter. I have see too many failures.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 01:42:20 PM »
Sounds like a successful hunt, all in all!! Got one question for ya, though.....is there such a thing as a small bull moose???? That sound like one of them oxymorons to me!! :-D  :-D  :-D
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mag41vance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 01:42:32 PM »
So were the afore mentioned .257, and 06 NEF firearms? If so, was the .257 a rechamber?
no x now!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 01:44:35 PM »

Offline JPH45

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 02:10:16 PM »
Congrats Fred :D
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 03:04:16 PM »
Congratulation Fred,sounds like you had a lot of fun. :D  :D  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »
The 165gr is a little light for Moose from an 06.  I won't take mine out with anything less than 180gr, preferiable a 200gr Nosler.  Moose are big animals, and hard to drop.

Once it's growen there is no such thing as a small Moose.  Their Big and BIGGER period.    My Dad is an old Tennessee plowboy.  A few years back when he came to visit, he shot a Bull Moose.  I'll never forget him standing over the animal staring and saying "Lordy, lordy, lordy, where do we start".  He was so overwhealmed.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 03:31:10 PM »
Thanks JP.

Tim a small bull Moose has little wee horns and a small dink. :-D

The 06 was Tikka.

41Vance the 257 Handi is a rebore from a 223 bull barrel.

Digger.
My friend put out the red carpet, his wife provided the best food ever. Yes an annual super hunt with the very best god loving friends. We also had a kid out that I toke him under my wings he had a fine 788Ren 308.
He did not get a shot off the buck, but he did learn to have his gun loaded when looking for a deer. Altogether we toke three bucks a doe and a moose.

I am not quite done testing bullets with the 257R. Swift is coming out with a 25cal bullets something called a Shiroco. But the TSX will also get back into the mill. The hot core is good but not as good as the TSX but in the 257 the Speer shoots better.

Yes the pictures are coming by slow boat from China.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline hunterwinco

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
our moose are pretty big but they drop like a stone!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 03:37:31 PM »
Sourdough,  I know your moose run bigger than ours here in Maine, but my brother and I have shot two moose, one 702, dressed bull with a .35 rem  straight on at 57 yards and that moose ran 15yards and was dead.  The other I shot with my .270 (ruger) using 150g rem cls.  My cow, also 700 dressed never moved a step!  Larger bulls here in ME run 900-1100 dressed...but I still dont think you need much to dump em.  

"that's just my opinion...I could be wrong!"  ---Dennis Miller

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2005, 04:06:19 PM »
Sourdough.
You are correct a 165gr bullet is too small and too lightly constructed for moose. 200gr or 220 in an 06 is about right. You need to break bone and drop him on the spot. I am not implying that the 257R is a Moose rifle but a perfectly placed bullet will drop him at close range. I shot a Moose one time with a 44 Magnum Mod 29 S&W revolver at 25 yards shot him in the ear with a hard babbitt / lead mix 240gr Keith bullet.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2005, 04:19:04 PM »
Alaska DF&G don't consider moose hard to kill, their recommendation is a 150gr bullet at 2500fps or better....

Moose Hunting Equipment

Rifle – Any rifle capable of shooting a bullet of 150 grains or more at 2500 fps or more will work on moose. The .308, .30-06, .300 magnum, .338 magnum, and .375 magnum calibers are all good choices. I personally use a .300 magnum topped with a 2X7 power variable scope and fitted with a synthetic stock. Make sure that your rifle is properly sighted in before going afield. I sight in to hit 3½ inches high at 100 yards, which means I can hold dead center on a moose's chest from the muzzle out to over 300 yards without thinking about where my bullet will hit.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.moose

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2005, 04:55:37 PM »
Congratulation Fred on a good shot
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2005, 06:33:28 PM »
Fred;

Congratulations on the sucessful hunt.
Sounds like that 25 cal. is a winner. and sounds like you really had a good time.
Heck, it sounds that the Handi's are really bringing home the bacon this year.
Again, Fred, great shooting for a great hunt.

Dennis :D