Author Topic: Marlin 22 magnum  (Read 438 times)

Offline Sheila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Marlin 22 magnum
« on: November 19, 2005, 04:03:52 PM »
Is that a very powerful  rifle? And have any of you got good results from it?
[

United we stand against Ovomit.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Marlin 22 magnum
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:08:33 PM »
Sheila;
   Generally, the .22 magnum (rimfire) is not considered a "powerful" round, when compared to the various centerfire rounds available.
  It is a very useful round however, and is powerful enough for clean kills on woodchucks, coon, and fox..

Within decent range, I would use it on our eastern coyotes.

As far as the Marlin in .22 magnum..that is an excellent choice..they are accurate and dependable.

..Just my two cts...
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
Marlin 22 magnum
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 05:27:16 PM »
I have one. Fired thousands of rounds through it by now. Thousands of Ground squirrels, hundreds of prarie dogs, a few rock chucks,  couple coyotes, one wild eyed charging skunk (and me with loose scope mounts  :shock:  ), and dozens of nutria.

It fills a gap between a .22 lr and a .223 for me. I don't recommend it for coyotes, but it will kill them within reason if you do your part. I also don't recommend it for rock chucks any further than you can hit them in the head or guarantee a good chest shot.

Marlins are a great buy for the money. Ground squirrels are grease out to 150 yards for me with no wind and a nice rest. 100 yards more the norm.

RR

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

Marlin 22 magnum
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 06:53:46 AM »
Sheila,

I purchased one of the Marlin bolt actions for my wife a couple of years ago and she likes it and I shoot it more than she does now.  A few months after getting her bolt, she spied a Marlin semi-auto in .22mag for me.  Gotta love her.  And the only difference between the two is the accuracy of the bolt versus the auto, and the capacity (7bolt/5 auto in magazines).  The round will do good for fox and anything smaller very handily out to 100 yards or a bit more if you are willing to put in the practice for one shot kills.  They will work on larger animals, but the range must be closer to inflict the max damage.

The best way that I can describe it is compare it to a .38 special in a lever rifle, as far as power.

Depending upon your definition of "powerful" the 22mag is a nice round, as long as it is used within its limitations and not considered "buffalo ready" :wink: .
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted