Author Topic: 243 HEAVY  (Read 524 times)

Offline czbuff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
243 HEAVY
« on: November 20, 2005, 04:49:40 AM »
howdy im going to buy a 243 fore coyotes. and deer but mostly fore the yots. would i be better off getting the 24" heavy or the 22" hunter eny comments i am thinking the 24" fore more velocety.
it only takes one shot.if ya need more.go sight in your gun!!!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
243 HEAVY
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 04:52:37 AM »
My choice would be the 24" bull Ultra Varmint ...it's a great barrel and very accurate...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
243 HEAVY
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 07:07:29 AM »
That 24 inch bull barrel rifle will be eight and a half pounds with a scope on it, hope you will be shooting from the cab of a pickup or are built like a linebacker.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
243 HEAVY
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 07:14:28 AM »
There's not enough difference in the contours of the 2, the extra 2" is well worth what little extra weight there is. The Superlight is the one to opt for if you want to save some weight, just plan of spending some time getting it to shoot as good. I'd go for the 24" barrel in a heart beat!! :agree: :agree: :agree:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
243 HEAVY
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 07:16:47 AM »
I forgot to add that the .243 is also available in a 24" fluted, either as an accessory barrel or as a complete rifle in the Ultra Varmint Fluted with the skeletonized Choate Varmint stock.....

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline czbuff

• Avid Poster
243 HEAVY
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:19:36 AM »
:-D nop 5:6 and 180 pounds thats what i worred about but i dont think the hunter is much lighter. i just need the one that it most accurent.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
243 HEAVY
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 07:28:50 AM »
Larry...really...it's not all that bad...I don't road hunt (ie.. shooting out of a vehicle)...nor am I as big as a linebacker...and I don't have any problem with it...nor does a co-workers 14 year old son who is much smaller than me...and the heavier weight will steady faster for those un-expected off hand shots..if needed...and a couple pounds difference isn't that great of a liability...under most normal hunting situations..but I suppose if one was going to climb the rockies after dall sheep it would..but if accuracy is the utmost importance..it will come with the 24" verison easier..both the 55 grain CT SBT's and the 95 grain CTSBT's shoot  exceptionally well out of them..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline czbuff

• Avid Poster
243 HEAVY
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 07:28:55 AM »
:P i think i well get the ultra 24" bull . dont meen to offend enybody but dont like the stock on the fluted one . and dont understand the reason behind the fluted barrels. it dont make sinse to have a bull barrel to elimnate heat . and then take metal out of it . looks like to me it leave hot and cold spots in the barrel but thats just me . but on the other hand thay look cool

Offline 35Rem

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
    • Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
243 HEAVY
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 10:02:51 AM »
8.5 lbs with a scope? Go weigh a sporter weight bolt gun with a scope.  More than likely the same, maybe more, and with a 22" barrel.  The bull barrel sounds like the right combo.

Longitudinal flutes ADD stiffness to the bull barrel and increase surface area which dissipates heat faster, and reduce weight (a little).  The flutes make sense.
Remington Model 8 and 81 Autoloading Rifles
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/
Vintage Semiauto Rifles
http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
243 HEAVY
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 10:56:25 AM »
Longitudinal flutes ADD stiffness to the bull barrel

Wrong! Removing metal from a barrel does not add stiffness. Flutes  do however dissipate heat better. But a non fluted barrel does not get hot as fast. So take your pick. I rather have a stiffer barrel than a fluted one.

If you want to reduce weight fluting is a good way to go. If you are looking for max accuracy stay with the bull barrel.

Fluting reduces the moment of inertia hence less stiffness.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline czbuff

• Avid Poster
243 HEAVY
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 11:24:18 AM »
:eek: thanks fred for the info. and all you other guys. so 24" bull it is as soon i get all the wallmart cards for XMES. and sell my gingsange i dug this year. and i well allso purchase a muller scope looking at the sportdog. i well also be relaoding for the first time. again  thanks you guys