Author Topic: willpower  (Read 385 times)

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
willpower
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:38:46 AM »
It took alot of it this morning......about 8:45 I saw a deer easing across the top of the hill in the thick stuff,so I hit the grunt call twice...well,he came straight to me,looking around trying to figgure out which "deer" had called him a bad name,i guess  :-D
He was an eight pointer,but not a big one,had a white spot on his back abouyt the size of a softball....he eased around for a couple of minutes with me watching him with the scope at 10 yards (he looked HUGE magnified 5 times at 10 yards  :grin: )anyway,last year i shot a basket rack 8 and said i wouldn't do it anymore so I let him walk
I was thinkin two things though
1. those backstraps look GOOD
2.I really want to christen this handi rifle    :)

sooooo,it did take some willpower.....cuz i wanted to let the hammer fall 8)
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline hellacatcher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
willpower
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 01:11:04 PM »
You are a better man than me  :D
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
willpower
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 01:48:12 PM »
You made your choice...now..don't second guess yourself or it will be harder next time...:wink:  It's fun calling them to you...then getting to watch them up close to you...Good job...Well done :agree:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
willpower
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 01:51:10 PM »
If a man settles for less, that's all he'll get.....good on ya!!! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
willpower
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 02:12:11 PM »
Thanks,ya'll........I'm not second guessing myself,just wish it woulda been a BIG buck or a doe    :grin:

Matt B.

Offline GeorgiaDave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
willpower
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 02:45:00 PM »
Hello from Georgia,
   I know that it was hard to pass up an opportunity like that. I took my first game animal with my new 308 Ultra this year. I shot a very nice 17" spread 8 point after letting several smaller bucks and a bunch of does pass. It was quite rewarding to have the first deer killed with a new rifle be a nice buck. Since that day, I have used the rifle to take 4 does one of which was a one time spine shot at 225 yards. We need to lower the number of does in the woods I hunt and I am doing my part. I have also taken a doe with my 308 Remington 742 at over 200 yards.
   I commend you for holding out for a big buck to be the first deer taken with your new rifle. Once you shoot the first one you can never take it back, so make sure that it is a memorable one !!! Good Luck.

Dave
"Firepower is one carefully placed shot, just make sure that it leaves a big hole."

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
willpower
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 03:02:36 PM »
the only thing that made it REAL difficult was it was the only deer i've had a shot at THIS YEAR......since middle of september (bow season)......and the fact that i want to shoot one with the handi....but it didn't hurt too bad....got to watch him for a little bit and he never had a clue i was there   :grin:

Matt B.

Offline sureshot2040

• Trade Count: (27)
  • A Real Regular
willpower
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 03:09:56 PM »
i have a survivor .308 and took a pretty nice 6 point with it at a ranged distance of 215 yards using factory remington 150 grain coreloks.
he was standing away from me and was abt to jump a fence and leave so i whistled at him to make him stop and look back at me.
i put the crosshairs at the base of his neck and it dropped abt three inches and hit him in the right hip and passed thru him exiting out his left front shoulder. i bought this gun tuesday and before shooting him that friday i had only shot it 3 times with it hitting abt an inch high at 50 yards on paper.
but yesterday i out shot it with my buffalo classic using iron sights
 :grin:
sureshot

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
willpower
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 03:12:17 PM »
sureshot,CONGRATS on the deer,,,,and the shot :grin:

Matt B.