Author Topic: Ultra Slug 20ga. Which ammo?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline MDM

• Trade Count: (0)
Ultra Slug 20ga. Which ammo?
« on: November 21, 2005, 01:51:44 AM »
Hi everyone.  I'm new here and have a question regarding ammo.  I bought an Ultra Slug 20ga a few weeks ago and will be sighting in this week.  I bought 2 types of ammo to try - Winchester Supreme Partition Gold and Remington Ultra corelokt.  Both of these rounds are 1900fps.  From what I have read here, these rounds do not group very well because they are so fast.  

Has anyone had good results with either of these rounds?

Maybe I should try smething a little slower.  I probably won't be shooting much farther thatn 100yds.  My thinking was to get the fastest round just in case I had to make a 150yd shot.

Any input here is welcomed.  Thanks.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 01:59:05 AM »
I am using the Lightfields in 2 3/4 inch in my H&R Ultra Slug 20ga . I am getting great groups at 100 yards. I am getting 2 inch groups with a Lyman Alaskan 1.5 scope on it.

Now my sons Remington 870 slug likes the Remington copper solids, I have not tried the Remingtons in my H&H though. I got good results with the Lightfields and stoped.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Xplorer

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 02:38:03 AM »
I have a 20GA ultra slugger, and have tried lightfield hybrid express, Win Supreme partition golds, Federal Barnes Expanders, Remington Premier core-lokt ultra and Remington Premier copper solids.  My best groups were with the copper solids @ ~ 1 3/4" at 100yds.  The Barnes expanders were about 2" at 100yds.  Lightfields came in 3rd at 2 3/4", Supreme Partition Golds at ~ 4", with the Remington Core-Lokt Ulta in the 8" range.  The first 3 slugs were in the 1500FPS range, with the last 2 in the 1900FPS range.  My particular gun seems to like the Remington copper solids the best so far, and seems to not like the faster slugs at 1900FPS.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 03:11:29 AM »
My 20ga USH likes most everything. The first year I used it I used the Rem Ultra Core-Lokt, was getting outstanding groups from 3/4" to 2". I shot a big 8 pt high through both shoulders with the bullet just under the hide on the far side. The the Win Partition Golds, Win Platinum Tips, Fed Barnes, Rem Copper Solids and Lightfields all shot great too. The next year (2004) I bought more of the Rem Ultra Core-Lokt (different Lot #) and they didn't shoot worth a hoot, 5" range. So the Win Partition Golds were what I ended up using, they were grouping in the 1-1/4" to 2" range. I also used them this year (2005). The Platinum Tips are in the 1700 fps range and also shoot very well.

The lightfields shoot very well and kick much less than the 1900 fps slugs do but hit about 3" lower at 100 yds with my setup (Bushnell Trophy in Burris high rings). The nice thing about that though is for under 100 yds you can use the Lightfields and for 100 to 150 yds you can use the Win Partition Golds. One thing about the Lightfields though is they shoot about 6" lower on a clean bore and shoot good groups after the bore has been fouled in my gun. I always hunt on a fouled bore, after my final sight in it stays dirty until after season.

The best thing to do would be to try them all and find out which shoot the best in your particular gun, it does get expensive though.

One thing though if you find one that shoots well and you plan on using it. Go back to where you bought them and buy all of them you can afford with the same lot #. The lot # is usually stamped or printed on one of the flaps. After shooting slugs for over 30 years, I have found that Lot #'s do make a difference in slugs. You may get lucky with a different #, but don't shoot all of one lot # practicing and then go buy another lot # to hunt with and assume they are going to have the same POI.

One more thing, the barrels do get warm if you are shooting too fast. If you want your best groups and want to know where your gun hits on a cold barrel, you need to SLOW down at the range. Break it open and it will cool much faster between shots and use the rubber O-ring on the forend lug. If you pop one off right after another you will have a warm barrel and most times it will have a different POI. Good luck!
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline MI.sabot

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 08:35:33 AM »
BUSTA

A lot of good advice given in your post.

Question for you though.

I don't understand the reference to the O-ring in the fore end.

Could you elaborate a little further?

Thanks.
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter (12 ga.)
NEF SS Sidekick Muzzleloader (50 cal.)
Remington 870 Express (12 ga.)
Stevens 311-H SxS (20 ga.)
CZ 452 American (22lr)

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 08:05:09 PM »
MI.sabot,

The O-ring goes over the forend lug and acts as a buffer between the barrel and forend. This is a trick that was found a few years back that actually works on some barrels to improve accuracy, especially in rifles. I figured it wouldn't hurt in the USH. What it actually does is take away a possible pressure point that could be hurting your accuracy and in a sense floats your barrel. Go to the H&R/NEF Center Fire Rifles forum above this one and click on the FAQ sticky thread near the top of the page. Scroll down to the third post by Mac and it will show you a picture of what I am talking about along with the correct size O-ring.

9/16"OD x 3/8" ID x 3/32" thick "O" Ring

Click on this link and it will take you to the thread.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=26264
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Chainsaw

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 04:06:39 AM »
Busta, Very Good Information! Seems we have had some good luck with the Remington Cor-Lokt but bought only fifteen rounds originally. We are down to just two left and hope we can attain near the same results with the newly purchased ones we will be picking up. I guess it will be buy five and shoot and then hurry back for more if they are accurate.........Chainsaw

Offline oneshot1kill

ammo for 20ga. ultra slug
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 05:05:13 AM »
Hi,
    This is a really good question.  I have been hunting with my H & R ultra slug gun for 3 years and can tell you without a doubt use lightfields 2 and 3/4 in.  tightest grouping and I have always killed in one shot and never missed yet.  So definatly LIGHTFIELDS.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 05:25:33 AM »
Chainsaw,

If you are going back to the original place of purchase, rip the tab with the lot # off of your current box and see if you can match it up. Never know, you might get lucky.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Lost Okie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 04:30:05 PM »
Also have an USH 20ga.  Like Busta, I have tried most everything.  After changing the forearm, my USH likes the copper solids (1.5" group), then the Rem Ultra's (2" group), lightfields were closer to 5" and the Win's were 5" plus.  This year I made my shot at 57 yrds using the Rem Ultra's (see USH20 gets its first deer).  I also added the washer, seemed to reduce my groups with the Ultra's.  Went back and glass bedded the first 1.5 inches of the forearm along with the washer and definately reduced the groups with the Ultras.  Great gun, heavy, but when you pick up the USH in 12ga, you will appreciate the "lighter" weight 20.  Like everyone else has said, you just have to find what your gun likes and then buy several boxes of that same lot number.

Offline bigiron53e

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 11:51:26 AM »
All good advice.  When I bought my USH, in 12 bore, the guy recommended Lightfields.  I took them down to the range, and put three of those big slugs in a huge oakleaf at 50 yards.  Thus ended the quest for ammo.

Offline Paul Mohr

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 03:08:33 PM »
My 12 guage doesn't like the lightfields at all. At least not the ones I tried, they make a few different ones though I think.

From what I understand the 20's seem to do a bit better with the faster slugs because of the tighter twist in the barrels. My 12 doesn't seem to care for the faster rounds. I tried some of the Federal barnes 1900 fps rounds and couldn't even keep them on a 8x11 peice of paper. It shot the 1750 winchester platinum tips pretty well.

And it seems to like plain old rifled slugs until the barrel gets dirty (3-5 shots), then the shots start to string upwards.

Paul
AKA Psyco Smurf