Author Topic: How have you done so far this year?  (Read 1548 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
How have you done so far this year?
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:06:38 AM »
I have got 3 deer so far. I passed on several doe's and small bucks.

Maryland a doe in M/L season
Maryland a 9 point buck with my bow
Maryland a 5 point with my M/L
I have not taken any in my home State of Delaware yet. I keep looking for my next wall hanger.

We still have a lot of hunting left in both Delaware and Maryland. :-D  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline WylieKy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 03:47:17 AM »
3 does in SC
1 w/Omega
1 w/Ruger m77 30-06
1 w/NEW RUGER #1B IN 25-06, sorry, I'm still excited about it.  :grin:  

I've passed on several OK bucks.  I generally don't take a buck until the last couple of weeks of the season unless he would be my best.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:36:14 AM »
1 buck , 1 Doe in Ohio
Nothing in Michigan yet

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 05:13:46 AM »
This year I didn't bow hunt or buy a muzzle loader permit.......Regular gun season opened this past weekend...........  

Got up early and hiked up a very steep hill to the edge of our Bowater lease......where the hardwoods meet the pine thickets.......I was almost to where I was going to hunt when I saw a light..........another hunter, while not on the lease property was setting up his self climbing tree stand right where I had intended to hunt........so I stopped and set up where I was........  

After the sun came up, I could see him clearly with his blaze orange shining brightly..........About 8 am he shot.......at that point I didn't see the deer but right after the shot I heard the deer running toward me...........The deer appeared about 5 yards left and to the front of me.........If I'd of had an "assault weapon" with a bayonet on it I could have stuck him..........I could see the blood foaming from the deer's mouth as he passed me at a full run..........I did manage to get a shot off from my 45.70 just before the deer disappeared into the thick southern pine thicket..........I missed.....but don't feel bad as the deer was only in sight for a couple of seconds at the most........this was a classic point and pull shot, and the leupold scope set at 1.75X was not useful at all..........I hunted yesterday with my 35 remington and a ghost ring setup!  

I yelled over to the other guy, whom I didn't know, that he had hit the deer and I saw blood.........I waited for him to climb down from his stand and waited for him to come over........I offered the fellow a cup of coffee......we both had a cup and talked for a few minutes before trailing the wounded deer, which had ran onto my lease.........I asked him what he was shooting and he told me .257 Weatherby magnum..........I bit my tongue........I asked him how far the deer was from him when he shot and he replied about 20 yards.......I asked him what grain bullet......he said he was shooting the biggest he could find which was a 117 grain and pulled out what looked to be a round nose.........the very farthest either one of us could see to shoot was about 40 yards.........40 yards is not really a realistic range as the small hardwood trees were scattered very close together and with a 20 yard shot  a fellow wouldn't have to worry to much about hitting one of the small trees or branches that are everywhere in this area......  Once the deer get in the pines, 7 to 10 yards is about all I can see to shoot...........the terrain if very steep, and very thick with the pines 10 to 15 feet tall and black berry brambles well over my head........which is the reason I chose to hunt the 45.70..........I didn't want to track one in this thick brush.......  

So we start trailing and I'm thinking ok.......surely the deer couldn't run far being hit with the highest velocity 25 caliber known to man..........the blood trail was fairly easy to see with spots on the sage grass and pines every few feet............trailed the deer about 30 minutes through the roughest parts of america.........much like the stuff Johnny Horton wrote about in the classic song "The Battle of New Orleans".........the deer made it another couple of hundred yards past me...........  

So I'm also thinking.....I bet that deer has a hole in him the size of a softball on the side I didn't see..........well, the deer was hit high and to the rear........top of the lung just a couple of inches below the spine just short of center.......it was hard to find the entrance wound........and there was no exit wound........bullet must have exploded with in a couple of inches........  

So, it wasn't a big deer, certainly not the 10 pointer that lives there..........but just about the right size for the freezer......  

Anyway, turns out the fellow and his buddy live close buy.........we stood and talked for awhile after they had the deer out of the woods and came back for the climber........Nice fellows......gave me a fair amount of information......showed me some rubs I hadn't seen earlier...........told me about the 10 pointer they had been hunting during bow and muzzleloader season but handn't got a shot at....(I've seen him to but didn't let them know it)......showed me one of their permanent stands and gave me permission to hunt that stand during the week days........Asked about the possibility of getting on my lease............told them when the lease renewed in July I didn't think there would be a problem with the other fellows that are also on the lease..........We can't keep a lock on the gate more than a month, so maybe someone who lives close might be able to watch it during the off season........It's not so much that we care if anyone gets on the land during the off season as we don't.....but the illegal dumping is terrible......and they low down %(^*^! don't even throw it off to the side but dump right in the middle of the road.....  

So, I got up at 4 this morning........looked out the window at the rain coming down and the wind whipping about 20 mph......turned on the weather channel to look at the radar............expecting 1 to 2 inches today and rain/snow tomorrow.......heck I went back to bed........might hunt late this afternoon if the wind lays down..........planning on going in the morning but again, with the wind the way it is I might wait for conditions to improve........  

First weekend......and I'm skunked so far........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline elmer

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 07:06:13 AM »
One small buck (6 point). Hopefully I will have to update after 12/5.  :-)

NRA life member
TSRA life member
Dallas Safari Club member
JPFO life member
GOA life member

http://public.fotki.com/ElmerF/
http://s215.photobucket.com/profile/CharlesL_album

Offline JKump

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:04:57 AM »
On Nov. 4 went out with my neighbor and hunted woods (hard wood and Pine).  At about 7:25 am took a doe with a NEF superlight 243. That evening went to the next county over and hunted with my future brother in law.  We hunted a couple fields ( I was set up on one and on the other side of a Pine grove he hunted the other).  Well about 5:15 pm I shot my second deer of the day (a spiked buck).  Also used the NEF 243.  At around 5:35 pm took a shot on the third deer, but missed high.  Not twenty minutes later took a shot on the fourth deer of the day, Hit this one (just behind the shoulder), however, due to the darkness and a very small blood trail was un able to find this deer.  We searched a couple hours for it.  Since then I have been skunked :( , will try again when able. :)
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 01:32:07 PM »
Season is over and all tags have been filled.  Now my Son, Son in-law and I are concentrating on Black Bear in between family Wild Boar hunts.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Leverdude

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 03:19:28 PM »
Took these 3 with my bow & got another doe in NY state saturday.

We still have better than 2 months in CT for bow so I fully intend to get more.
No bucks yet (except for the small doe in the pics that turned out to be a button) but I had one coming in last sat on the wrong side. Was hoping he'd keep going so as I could manuver for a shot after he got by but it just wasn't my day I suppose.  :?  :grin:

Got 2 more last friday.  :grin:

& took these 2 turkey birds the saturday before.

Freedoms not free!
Support your NRA!

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 03:12:42 PM »
The land owner was pleased with the 158# 8-point I took on November 1st in the SC western piedmont (so was I).  It is the largest deer I have ever taken.  when I get the chance, I will post the picture and edit this post.  Three does and three bucks in SC.  Nothing in FL yet.  Going again in the morning.

Offline Gregory

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 03:23:20 PM »
One buck and one doe in Illinois during the first firearms season, have one tag left for muzzle loader season.

Hunt safely,

Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline varmit_master

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 08:01:36 PM »
Hi i have only killed a small 5 piont with my ML. I have a new 25 06 too i am waiting to try out. Our second rifle season opens Nov 24th the first one closed last Sunday. I only seen a small 6 point and a ton of doe's. Bucks only in rifle season unless you go down south of the State. We have a lot of deer hunting left. VM :D

Offline sprest22

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 06:37:06 AM »
Here's the 8 point I got opening day,my daughter really liked it :grin:

Offline MT4XFore

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 09:04:06 AM »
Nov 12 was a good day.  1 mulie buck ( 5 x 4 ) , a mulie doe, and 12 prairie dogs.  It dont get much better!!!!!  Used my ATV to boot!
You''re only as old as you think you are.....I''m still waiting on puberty, AGAIN!! :eek:

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
so far
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 11:57:20 AM »
We have two, a small button buck and a three point buck opening day. The rut was in full swing, as bucks were just nuts. Looking forward to seeing some big does this weekend.

longwalker

Offline kenscot

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 01:18:19 AM »
I shot this small 5 pointer here in Deleware county New York and that will do it for me, no doe tags given in this area last two winters have been rough on the herd.

Offline RicMic

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 03:43:41 PM »
Got a 107lb doe last Tuesday at 50yds and a 84.5lb doe tonight at 260yds.  Both through the ribs/lungs no excessive loss of meat.  The Howaby 300WSM w/ Nikon 3-9x40 did quite well.  I love deer chili!
I aim to please - but often miss.

Offline armycar01

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 10:19:18 AM »
Rifle has been in for a week, and I have got two does, 140 pounds and 155 pounds. Hunted all rifle last year and didn't see a thing, already got two in one week.

Offline Fug

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2005, 06:20:26 PM »
Here in WA we are only allowed one per year total.  I got a nice freezer sized buck.

Offline deerman12

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2005, 01:42:53 AM »
I have taken two 6-pointers so far.  I have passed on alot of shots.  I just have not had the chance at a big one yet, but there is always tomorrow. :wink:

Offline Broken-arrow

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 09:51:27 AM »
:grin: Between me and the boy we've taken 1 archery doe, a buck and a doe with muzzle-loader, and a doe and 2 bucks with rifle. My son took this 9 point on Thanksgiving Day.
[/img]
Please write me off of GB outdoors, I do not want to be a part of it any more.

Deactivated as requested.

Offline Hildy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 10:19:45 AM »
Took a 9 point thismorning at a whopping 30 yards. I had all the practice needed and all the setup for one of those long shots and got this close up. :)

It has an 18 1/2" spread and the bases are really thick. Nice 'meaty' antlers on that deer.  :-D

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2005, 06:35:59 AM »
I have been out 5 times this year 3 times in VA and twice in NC.  Nothing in NC in VA seen a deer all 3 times but no shot. :cry:
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline sharp shooter

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2005, 10:40:45 AM »
I shot a small six point buck nov 12th with mathews bow. Had been hunting 11 times and seen five deer. The deer population has been taking a beating around here and they are starting to go nocturnal.
I have not seen a buck in the open before dark in a couple years.
Have to hunt back in the woods to have a chance at a buck.

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 08:14:10 PM »
I was able to harvest this nice 8 point in Minnesota at 10 yards with a muzzleloader.  That was fun!

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/phpbb2/album_pic.php?pic_id=1090
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline singleshot

• Trade Count: (2)
2005 deer
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2005, 06:35:31 AM »
:D We do grow them big in Eastern Kansas.   My son's opening day deer Nov 30th.  Ks Fish & Game estimated his age at 10 years.  Only had 3 bottom teeth left.  Their estimate on weight was 250 + pounds.  Tips of 2 center tines were broken off.   Ed
NRA LIFE MEMBER SINCE 1978

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2005, 06:43:36 AM »
I didn't get one but could have busted sevral does. I got to spend a week with my son, Chad (High Brass) so it was a great week.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2005, 12:05:03 PM »
Major acorn year and warm weather made it a tough year.  I managed to get a doe... but spent like 3 full days and 5 half days in the woods.

Offline marylandeer

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »
Well I did pretty good this year so far, considering I didn't get to do much hunting. This is the first year I haven't been bow hunting in a long long time. Just had no time for it this year. I got out two days with my muzzle loader for the early smoke-pole season and popped one doe. I made it out 2 1/2 days for rifle season and popped a  doe and a button buck. We still have one more week of rifle and our late two week smoke-pole season. I also drew a lottery permit for one of the local state parks that is just FULL of deer. Thats in mid january and I'm allowed to take 4 deer.

3 deer
(1 muzzle-loader)
(2 rifle)  
SO FAR

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2005, 02:05:53 PM »
Hunt mostly public land in southern Il.
so far :
1-small six pointer with my bow
1-large 8 pointer with my shotgun
1-large doe with my handgun

Am going to use a muzzle loader for the last firearm season, hopefully I can hit a grand slam!
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline Flyrod444

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2005, 03:58:59 AM »
I was hunting on a small food plot the Friday after Thanksgiving, when I got this nice li'l ten point. I had 3 doe's feeding around me for around 15 minutes when the small racked 7 point ran into the field and started to chase them. Being that I had not taking a deer up to this point in the season, I decided to take it. It pitched off into a thicket and I could hear it kick 3 or 4 times as it died. Since there was another ten minutes of daylight, I stayed in my stand. About five minutes after I shot the 7 point, 2 does jumped a fence to my right and came running into the food plot. Imagine my surprize when this nice 10 point jumped the fence and started after the doe's. He was moving at about half speed when I managed to take a shot. He jumped into the thicket at the same spot where the 7 point had gone. I got out of my stand and walked over to where both deer had entered the thicket. They were laying with in 5 feet of each other. The 7 point was a bit heavier in weight than the 10 point. By the time a friend of mine and I got both deer put in a ice chest and caped out it was around 11:00 at night. We will use the cape of the 7 point to remount an old head or a new one that someone has messed up the cape on. My heart hasn't pumped this hard in years. It sure does feel good to get that surge of adrenaline going through you veins. The picture was taken the next day after our hunt. I didn't carry a rifle this day since I didn't have any buck tags left. We are only allowed two bucks in north Georgia, where I hunt. I try to hunt with a hand gun, if I fill my buck tags. This is another way to get the heart revved up even when you are just looking to take a doe.
Jack

[/img]
It is better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!!