Author Topic: Ultra Slug Hunter vs. Sidekick  (Read 592 times)

Offline Moonlitin

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Ultra Slug Hunter vs. Sidekick
« on: November 22, 2005, 10:31:51 AM »
I'm trying to decide if I should get an USH 20 gauge or a Sidekick.  I'd be using it for deer in a "shotgun only" area.  I've heard great things about both of them, but I have no experience with muzzle loaders.  The ease of loading, unloading, cleaning, etc. with the USH sounds better to me than all of the extra work required for the muzzle loader.  On the other hand, Id' be able to hunt during the muzzle loader season if I got the Sidekick.  I'll probably end up getting both eventually.

My question is about recoil.  For you guys who have both, how does the 20 gauge USH compare to the Sidekick?

Thanks

Moonlitin

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 01:59:38 PM »
That's an easy question. GET BOTH! Part of the fun of muzzle loading is figuring out the load that your gun likes and of corse the added hunting season is a bonus. The ultra takes a lot of the process away but it is a lot easier. As far as rang and killing capability any properly shot deer aint goin to far. It is definitely more of a learning experience. Maybe a combo were you get a tracker barrel would be a good option. If you got a huntsman instead of a sidekick you could add a ultra barrel later.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline JohnDY

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 12:21:24 AM »
If you can only get one, get the muzzleloader. Having a muzzleloader will allow you to hunt both during the muzzleloader and firearm seasons. At least it is that way here in Maryland.

Plus the muzzleloader is cheaper to shoot. Go check out the price on a box of sabot slugs... ouch. For my 12g USH it is something like 2 bucks a shot. I can shoot my Huntsman for a lot less than that.
JohnDY

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 05:46:03 AM »
Like JohnDY said, if you can only get one, get the muzzleloader. Can use it in the shotgun zone during firearms season and during the muzzleloader season. If you get it now you can use it during the 2005 December ML Season. Good luck.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Choice
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 06:15:47 AM »
I have to get me a 20 Rifled barrel. Just can't resist shooting one of these torpedo slingers. With Remington Core Lokt.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 05:57:31 PM »
I have the 20 ga. tracker and the sidekick. Both are very accurate out to 50 yds. that's what I have them sighted in for. With no scope! :shock: I really like the sidekick, got it sighted in with just five shots! As far as I'm concerned, the sidekick is just as easy to clean as the others I have, as just as accurate using 90gr. of T7 and a 245 gr. PB. I used to have a 12 ga. tracker, but that thing was brutal on my shoulder, more so than even my 45-70, which is a dream to shoot. :wink: Gave the 12 ga. to my brother.
                                                       tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly