Author Topic: My new Taurus Model 605  (Read 389 times)

Offline jrdudas

• Trade Count: (0)
My new Taurus Model 605
« on: November 23, 2005, 04:32:40 AM »
I went to the range yesterday and spent most of my time there firing a rifle I bought for target shooting, but I also had my new Taurus 605 with me.  This was the first time I shot the Taurus and I only fired a few rounds since I was already tired from my other shooting.  

I have always considered myself a reasonably good shot, but I can see that a lot of practice will be needed with this snub-nose .357.  I have an old snub-nose .22 that I am fairly accurate with, but this is my first snub-nose in a larger caliber.  From seven yards I was lucky to hit my 8 x11 target sheet.  I did get one bullseye, but could not duplicate it in subsequent shots.  I am much better with my 6 1/2" barrel  Ruger Blackhawks.  In addition to the short barrel (2 1/4"), I believe that part of my problem is the sight picture.  Maybe a flourescent spot on the front blade would help.  If all fails I could go to a laser sight; I really want to practice a lot more before I consider that however.

What do you think;  are snubbies in larger calibers inherently difficult to shoot accurately?

JR

Offline Bubba w/a 45/70

• Trade Count: (0)
My new Taurus Model 605
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »
No.  I have a S&W 19 (roundbutt) with a 2 1/2" barrel that I can hit an approximately 20"X16" target out at 300 yards without too much trouble.  Now, everything gets easier the closer in I get, with the gun shooting just as easy for me as my 3" Taurus 65 (Hogue finger grip rubber for grips).  Both are in .357 mag, and that is what I shoot through them.    

For practicing with the S&W, I will be stepping down to .38 spec as I have been told that this frame isn't going to stand up to constant .357 pressures.  But as for the earlier claim, I was still putting full house .357 loads through it.
"I SHOOT BACK!"     Uncle Ted

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
what loads are you using?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:09:20 PM »
I have had good luck with my Ruger 101 in 357 but I find I can get pretty tired if I'm shooting full house 158 gr 357 loads. It sure rocks back a lot harder than my 4 inch Security 6.  If you were already tired I wonder if you were getting flinchy.  You might try some 38's, maybe even 38 wad cutter or other moderate loads.

Also,  are you using full house lead loads or jacketed loads - any chance it got leaded up real quick?

Sounds frustrating.  Good luck.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA