Author Topic: Need help with Choate stock on Handi.  (Read 421 times)

Offline JimG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Need help with Choate stock on Handi.
« on: November 23, 2005, 06:08:36 AM »
I bought a Choate "monte carlo" style butt stock and a "conventional" fore-end from Choate for my Handi in .204. The butt stock fits fine, however the fore-end seems to be too small. At the pivot it fits fine but at the middle, foreward to the tip of the forend it gets progressively tighter. It can be forced but it is obviously not right. I'm thinking of reaming it out with some sandpaper wrapped on a large dowel rod. Any suggestions? Is this normal or unusual? I don't want to return it for the "varmint" type forend as that just does not appeal to me. I was under the understanding that the "conventional" forends would fit anything short of the 10 gauge, but maybe not.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 11:09:40 AM »
JimG,will it go on? mine is very tight on my 270 ultracomp but fits my 243 superlight perfectly...they only sell one farearm and they are all the same size......put it on and take it to the range.....if it doesn't shoot well,then think about doing something,but most on here told me it was just tight and not to worry  sooooo,don't worry   :D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
Yes it will go on.
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 01:02:01 PM »
Yes it will go on. However there is a 1/8-3/16" gap between the bottom of the barrel and the bottom of the channel in the fore-arm if that makes any sense. I'm sure it's more cosmetic than structural but looks real bad.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 02:43:09 PM »
JimG,I just put my 270 u/c on and there is a gap between the barrel and the bottom of the forearm channel just big enough for the edge of a nickel.....didn't even notice it....but it doesn't stick out,to me anyway....and it shoots well  :grin:
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline JimG

• Contributor
Thanks for the replies.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 01:25:21 AM »
Thanks for the replies to my post Bladerunner. I guess I'll shoot it and see what gives. If it shoots good I'll ignore it. The bipod seems to hide most of it anyhow. :grin: