Author Topic: Wishful thinking of a Receiver Slip on..  (Read 686 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Wishful thinking of a Receiver Slip on..
« on: November 25, 2005, 02:44:51 PM »
While I was out hunting today with my Handi, I noticed something. My Hands where getting very cold from holding the frame-to-butstock grip. I hate to wear gloves when hunting and only do so when it's very cold.
Yes metal gets cold-duh.
But I was thinking it would be excellent if I had a rubber slip on cover for my receiver.
Think the Houge design with slip on pistol grips, except over the receiver and it being nice and real tight.

What do you all think?

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 02:49:43 PM »
The way it is to get anything aftermarket for a handi , ME thinking = get gloves  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline myarmor

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 04:27:50 PM »
Yeah not much aftermarket love for the Handis thats for sure.
Hummm...how to get Houge in? :)

Offline Stickfigure

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 05:46:05 PM »
All my friends thought I was crazy when I took my favorite hunting shirt and stiched some pockets in the inner elbow area, and on the back of the shirt about where your kidneys are. The pockets have snap closures and are just large enough to hold a hot hands heat pack. I also have a pair of Uncle Mike's fingerless shooting gloves that I have modified to hold hot hads heat packs on the back of my hands.  I usually can sit out in the weather for hours nice and warm even with my arthritis.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 06:44:04 PM »
StickFigure, Thanks for the advice. Some great tips :agree:
I like the pockets around the kidneys. When they are cold, your whole body is cold.

But the idea of a receiver cover does have draw backs, I know. Like trapping moisture between the rubber and the metal itself.  But keep in mind that this would not be a perminant fix - is there any with a Handi rifle? :-D  - but for out and about hunting situations with the weather not so perfect. Or for the apperiance, yes it does matter to some people, though if it shoots well I could care less what it looks like....well.....I suppose thats not totally true 8)  I like a few nice things in the cabinet

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 07:35:29 PM »
This is purely theoretical.  Never tried it.  Probably never will.

Back when I trolled on a popular SKS site, a number of members used spray on bedliner to coat the stocks on their SKS rifles.  Since the metal parts of the Handis are flat and square, a coat of spray on bedliner applied where the hand grabs the Handi reciever might work.  The stuff shouldn't? get near as cold as bare metal.  

But I'm not gonna try it.  I'll fuss with the gloves instead.

ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Wishful
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 04:04:49 AM »
Now you got me thinking, that's not only painful, it's dangerous! It's bad enough when I come up with ideas like this myself, but now, you guys are stirrin the pot!
 The bed- liner thing is sheer genius! I do remember something in a paint can that you dip tool handles in for a rubbery grip. And there is the possibility of stick on foam, something like camo tape.
 So I asked myself, why rubber? OK, ok, I know, rain, wet, snow, ect. But when it's really cold, it ain't wet. Maybe a nice, cozy wrap, wool perhaps. Sorta like a gillie, camo wrap, with provision for the break action. One piece under the action, from the grip to the forend, and then wrapped fore and aft. Not hard to try, easy to remove if you don't like it, and above all, CHEAP!
 H-mmm, got a piece of wool sock here, this might work.
                                                               Woodbutcher

Offline myarmor

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 06:45:02 PM »
Well I wouldn't want to make a permanent mod like the Bed Liner trick. I have heard about doing that to the stock. But I would never try it on my reciever.
It's not a real big deal, but I just wanted to throw it out there for discussion. I good TIGHT slip on rubber boot, would be nice and cheap too. Not to mention the improved grip you would have.
I suppose the rubber dip would work, if one were to completely strip a Handi down to the bare frame, and then after drying cut to fit. Not a bad idea. But it would be really hard to get it off the frame with out tearing it up.
I suppose my idea is a bust.

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2005, 05:52:18 PM »
I have seen "fake" wool raps for seatbelt straps.  They are used to keep the belt from rubbing a raw spot on your neck or across the collar bone area of you shoulder.  They are not very $$$ and you could modify it with a hole for the trigger guard and a "V" notch and some velcro to hold it in place.  Maybe a little silicone caulk sprread into the fabric on the back side that contacts the receiver and stock to keep it from sliding around.  Wouldn't cost much, could be removed easily, and would look like real wool.  
Hey, this could be that "Million Dollar Idea".  Naaahhhh, somebody must have already done this!LOL
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 12:11:30 AM »
Myarmor,how about neoprene??? you could have someone sew a piece to fit exactly....then if it wouldn't fit over the trigger gaurd (with the barrel and fore end removed) you could slip it over the back (with the stock removed).......we WILL think of something    :grin:
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2005, 01:35:42 AM »
great soloution blade runner, you could try a scuba diving shop for the material. I would think the thin 1/8" to 3/16" nylon faced material would be fine, For what you need they may even have a scrap piece lying around for free, especially if they do wet suit repairs there....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline myarmor

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2005, 02:10:41 PM »
Neoprene, man I don't know why I didn't think about that for this. I was just talking about it the other day with gloves and socks, but this would be a good idea for quick slip on. I will have to check into this some more.
Thanks fellas.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 12:56:49 PM »
Myarmor,anytime   :D   If/when you do it,let us know how it worked   :wink:
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.