Author Topic: SAD days in Arkansas 2 hunters shot in deer season. UPDATED!  (Read 930 times)

Offline varmit_master

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
SAD days in Arkansas 2 hunters shot in deer season. UPDATED!
« on: November 27, 2005, 01:00:29 AM »
Hi it had been a sad and bad deer season here.
The first one was about 2 weeks ago a teen shot his uncle with 00 Buckshot and he died.

Saturday or yesterday around noon a teenager was shot with buckshot by another hunter. They was running deer with dogs and the teenager was coming thru the thicket without ANY hunter orange on and the other hunter shot him for a deer.

This is bad please find it in your heart to pray for them in such a bad time.  thanks you VM :cry:

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
SAD days in Arkansas 2 hunters shot in deer
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 04:05:51 AM »
Very sad indeed! Be careful out there. On a side note why is it every time this happens Buckshot ALAYWS seems to be involved?

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:42:05 AM »
IME buckshot is not always involved.  All of the hunting acciddents in Alaska in the past few decades have been with rifles, usually high-powered ones.  It is even more disturbing when another hunter is shot for a deer/etc. with a rifle since precise aiming is required.  Not identifying the target is the root cause of most hunting accidents of this sort.

I am reminded of conversations I've overheard here in Texas for years - they revolve around "sound shots".  Yes, you heard that right, there are hunters who shoot into the brush when they hear the brush rustling as if there is a deer there.  Some seem very proud of their shooting "Ah had me a coupla good sound shots up at the lease last weekend!"  - highly disturbing!

Offline NONYA

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:11:07 AM »
An accident is when a gun discharges unintentionaly and someone is injured,these idiots who misidentify people as deer and shoot them should be charged with manslaughter at the least.Why should it be any different than a person who drives dangerously and kills someone and gets vehicular manslaughter/homocide?Im sorry to hear about those who were killed,i havnt heard of any in our state this year but Ill bet there have been a few.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 06:22:32 AM »
:shock: NONYA.  There is no such thing as an accident.  For every incident there is a root cause.  Somebody, somewhere screwed up.  Example, did someone work on the gun was that was not qualified, was the gun worn to the point that the safety no longer worked.

I was shot in a hunting incident back in 1959 while hunting on Barksdale AFB, LA.  The kid that shot me thought I was a deer.  It was 10 AM. sunny, and I was walking near the middle of a twenty foot fire break.  The kid (about 14 years old) was hunting with an adult friend who was an experienced hunter.  He provided the kid with the gun knowing he had never been hunting, and had little or no experience with guns.  

Who do you blame here?  Was it the fault of the kid, or should the blame be placed on the adult?  Either way, they were detained for a few minutes while they provided information to the LEOs, then released to go home.  I went to the hospital. I consider myself lucky.

Looking back, training and experience are the major key to eliminating an incident such as this.  I think a strict age limit and extensive training should be imposed in all states.  Some may not agree with this, their 10 year old may have the maturity to be trusted alone with a firearm, but most do not.  And sometimes the adult is so egger to see a kid succeed, they forget about safety.

It is hard to say how an individual that shoots another human in a hunting situation should be handled.  I don't think jail is always the answer, but in some cases it is.  As a minimum, I think an extended restriction period in hunting, and a long retraining is in order. :roll:

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 06:52:38 AM »
I agree with Nonya and Rockbilly...........Isn't "be sure of your target" one of the 10 gun handling saftey rules?

There is no good excuse for someone to shoot without identifing what there shooting at..........

I suppose it could be an accident but I'd expect a rock solid explanation.....jails are full of drug addicts so jail time may or maynot be the answer.......

I'd say that kid should have mowed your grass, painted your house and done any other thing you needed done while you were down........The adult should have paid your cost.....plus pain and suffering......

This should not be accepted as just an accident without an investigation for sure.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 04:00:19 PM »
In Delaware, you the hunter are responsible for the bullet or buck shot. People need to be held accountable. One of hunters safety rules is, be sure of your target and beyond. We as hunters are responsible for our action and should be held accountable. JMHO.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline varmit_master

• A Real Regular
UPDATED!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 06:33:43 PM »
Hi the story i heard on the first shooting . In the southern part of the state alot of land is owned by Paper Co . They have logging road every where and most of the land is clear cut or dont have much timber left on it. They said the paper the new from the report from the wildlife office. The teen shot at a deer and one pellet of 00 Buckshot traveled 147 yds and hit this uncle in the chest. I dont know if the teen was on a hill shooting at a deer how he got a pellet to travel that far. I am just telling what the report said.

[He[ the teen] was charge with shooting across a roadway.] And it up to the Prosecuting Attorney he would make a decision on whether to file criminal charges later this week.]

And the other hunter (teen) that was shot the person shot at movment( thought it was a deer) in the woods the dogs was running deer around him and killed the teen. It will be in the Paper on Monday. I dont see how any body can just shoot at a sound. I always like to watch the deer and see if there is any more with it before i shoot and i KNOW what is on the other side of the deer too before i pull the trigger. The first one they said was a hunting accident. I dont know about the second one yet. 2 lifes has been there family's  will not be the same.  And the person's that shot them i dont think there life will ever be the same. All you can do is pray for them HOPE EVERY BODY has a SAFE and good deer season. VM

Offline varmit_master

• A Real Regular
UPDATED
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 03:25:04 PM »
Hi the second shooting was in the new paper today. Said a 41 yr old guy from Fanshowe OK was over  with his inlaw hunting. And said 20 yr old guy was shot one time with buckshot said 5 pellet hit him 3 in the face and 2 was in the chest . Said the 41 yr old man was satting in a deer stand and dogs was running and he seen movement at 119 feet in the overgrown pine plantation and he shot with out Identifying his target. The movement turn out to be the 20 yr old and his counis 19 yr old was walking down a 4 wheel trail. When the 20yr old was shot the 19 yr old started yelling for help. And the 41 yr old ran over there to see what was wrong and seen what he had done and another guy heard the yelling came over . And the man had a cel phone with him. Called the Sheriff office and told them of what had happen. The Deputy Coroner pronounced him dead at the scence. It said the 2 the 20 yr old and the 19 yr old . DIDNT HAVE ANY hunter Orange on they had camo on. Wildlife office and Sheriff deputy was on sence And the 41 yr old was arrested for (hunting with out a hunting license and a Felon in possession of a firearm and Negligent Homicide.) He was transported to the Sheriff Office. And the case still remans under investigton.  EVERY BODY please have a safe hunt. VM

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 06:27:09 PM »
I'm from Tn. Now, I'm living in NC. Where I live, these people sound hunt.  :shock:  I have archery hunted this year, and because of some stupid things I did, I haven't got lucky , yet. But I went openig day,(gun) and almost was shot! :eek: As of this date, I haven't hunted since. Will try this Thurs. ( maybe) It might be that I will not hunt anymore in this state unless I can hunt private land and make sure how many others are out there besides me! I will travel back to my home state to deer hunt, and it will be expensive but a lot safer, since I have 2 friends that have some land. True, GWs have their hands full, but these here need to take their jobs seriously. Also, in NC, you only have to wear the orange cap or vest , not both. Needs to be both! Also, hunters need to make sure of their target, PERIOD! Just my  :money:
                                                              tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline varmit_master

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 08:17:32 PM »
Hi sounds like you have it bad too. Here the law says hat and vest. I have hunted public land back when i was young. And used a climbing stand and had people way right under me with hunter orange on i like to hunt around 18 to 20 ft with the stand. I dont know how many peole i have seen easin threw the woods with no orange on. Alot of people thinks the deer can see the orange Well if it going to keep me from getting shot let the deer see the orange i dont think they can. And you dont know how any people are out there that will just shoot at sound. But all my hunting is done on family land now. VM

Offline jhm

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 03:42:38 AM »
If they are out there without any orange on theirs a good chanch yhey are trasspassing or poching. :D    JIM

Offline sharp shooter

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 12:45:27 PM »
there were two people shot in my county in south central Illinois one was killed and the other was wounded in the leg both were could have been prevented with a little common sense.

Offline hillbill

men killed
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2005, 02:55:49 PM »
even without hunter orange on, how the flip do yu mistake a man for a 4 legged furry deer???ive never seen a man that looked even remotely like a deer. im beginning to think a scope may have to be mandatory on your rifle before yu hunt deer if this crap doesnt stop.im all about staying out from under big brothers thumb but maybe there should be a iq test before yu can purchase a hunting license????

Offline varmit_master

• A Real Regular
UPDATED!
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 09:49:28 PM »
:(  :(  12-3-05
Saturday night will not give name out!! A 31 yr old woman and 2 ( 20 yrds old and one 22 yrds old The 22yr old man was her Fiance) men was on there way to a wedding reception. They started out the night the news said they was spot lighting deer. Ane the man sitting in the backset with a rifle in his lap decided to move the gun and it fired hitting the 31 yr old woman police said. She died on the way to the Hospital.

The man ( 20 yr old man) was taken into custody (NOT For Night Hunting.) (But for a felon in Possession of a firearm and Manslaughter). Police said it still under investition.
I think the man should be charge with all 3 of them.
People are so careless with guns. And i think the felons they catch hunting with a firearm should there fines should be 3 times as much by law.
A felon in Arkansas can hunt with a bow or a xbow or a muzzle loader. The law lets them. VM

Offline varmit_master

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 07:37:50 PM »
ALL 3 CASES UPDATED VM!