Author Topic: 410 Barrel Questions...Specs  (Read 626 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
410 Barrel Questions...Specs
« on: November 27, 2005, 02:50:12 AM »
Has anyone actually done a bore measurement on a Pardner .410 barrel?  
CS says the bore is .410 and the choke(full) is .394.  Is this pretty accurate?
I am thinking that firing slugs that have a diameter closeer to .394 would be more accurate and have better range than firing slugs that are larger or a lot smaller.  Is this poor logic?  Would I be better off just cutting the choke off the muzzel and having a cylinder bore barrel?  CS says the last half inch of barrel (at the muzzle) is the choke.  
Yes, I know there are lots of opinions about slugger .410 for hunting, but it's just something I always wanted to do.  All comments welcome.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 03:00:04 AM »
I would not cut the barrel down if I was you.  99.9 percent of all .410 shotguns leave the factory with a full choke, a fact that has not escaped the ammo manufacturers.  Slug makers design their .410 slugs to work best in full choked shotguns because that is how the majority of them are made.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:55:10 AM »
I agree. I believe the best slug smoothbore accuracy comes from shooting a slug which is larger than the choke or inside muzzle diameter. Slugs are made to swage down to a smaller than manufactured diameter. Any slug smaller or even the same diameter of the the barrel (muzzle end) is just thrown at the target. Look at muzzleloaders, the very best target accuracy is obtained with a very tight fitting projectile or projectile/patch combination (early Schutzen rifles). Also just as Brett says, ammo manufacturers take into account that most .410's are full choke and produce their slugs accordingly....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 05:51:00 AM »
Hmmm!  Never thought of it from the Muzzle Loader angle.  Dang, that means I'm gonna have to get another shotgun, if I want a 22" barrel. LOL
Also, I know what you are saying about the slug diameters.  I saw a chart somewhere that listed the diameters of 410 slugs by manufacturer.  They were all smaller than 410.  Thanks for the new perspective.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 08:17:50 AM »
Hello Cookieman. I have a .410 slug gun that I created as follows. I sent in a receiver and had a 22" youth 410 barrel fitted and the factory mounted a scope base on it. I put a set of synthetic stocks off a sportster (monte carlo) and I had a gunsmith chop 1" off the barrel to eliminate the choke. I mounted a 4x leupold shotgun scope on it and with remington
2 1/2 " slugs I'm shooting around a 1" group at 25 yards and around 2-3" groups at 50 yards. I haven't shot it past 50 yards yet but plan to to test the accuracy. When I was sighting it in I tried some Winchester 3" slugs and they shot very bad, hard to keep on the paper at 25 yards. I also tried some 3" Brenekee slugs and they did ok at 25 yards but really opened up at 50 yards.
I have not shot anything with this shotgun yet so I can't comment on how it will perform on game. I took out my Topper Deluxe 12 Ga. today and passed on a button buck and good size spikehorn at about 12 yards from my treestand. I had been seeing a big 8 point during bow season and am holding out for him. I already shot a spikehorn and a 4 1/2 yr old doe that dressed out at 118 lbs with my bow this year so I'm waiting for Mr. big. If I don't get a crack at him soon I'm going to bring out the 410 and see how it will perform on a deer. I'm hunting out of treestands and a 25 yd shot is a pretty long shot for me as I'm used to bowhunting. I still have 1 buck tag and 3 doe tags left for Massachusetts.
Sorry this post got long but I have some experience with the 410 so I figured I would share my knowledge.
Jim

Offline je265

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 08:53:29 AM »
First time trying to post a picture so here goes. Bottom one is my 410, top one is a synthetic stocked nef I bought new about 12 years ago which I have never seen another. 12 Ga, 3", full choke. I use it for coyote hunting from time to time. Jim

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 05:48:49 PM »
je265,
Thanks for the post and the pics.  That looks like a Survivor forend on your 12ga.  Let me know if you get anymore info worked up on the 410.
My idea involved cutting a 26"barrel down to 24" ,  installing Huntsman sights or maybe a Peeper and mounting it on a Tamer.  I am gonna run a few slugs through my 26" barrel before do any Mods.  
Thanks again to all who posted.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 05:42:37 PM »
Brett, I'm curious. I have a 16 ga. single shot stevens, 28" barrel, full choke, that has killed more deer than anything I own. Is it safe to fire a slug out of a 410 full choke barrel? I've often thought about my 410 I just bought. I also thought that the 2 1/2 inch would probably pattern better than the 3 inchers. What do you think?
                                                                       tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 01:03:51 AM »
As I stated before most of the .410s sold have a fixed full choke.  I'm sure that the ammo makers take that into account when designing their .410 bore slugs.  I have not seen too many cylinder bore shotguns in any gauge that shot slugs very accurately.  My 12 gauge shoots its best groups with an Improved cylinder choke tube.  In fact Remington recommends using an improved cylinder choke right on the box of their 12 ga. Sluggers.  

By the way the energy of a .410 slug fired from a shotgun is approximately that of a .357 magnum fired from a 6" handgun, not what I would consider a heavy hitter for deer.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC