Author Topic: My range report on 30-30 and 223  (Read 713 times)

Offline TOMMYY01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
My range report on 30-30 and 223
« on: November 27, 2005, 03:59:18 AM »
I just now got back to from the range, this morning. I had told yall earlier that my 223 didn't like remingtons. Well last Sat. I got some 55 gr. remington white box. FMJ. It must have been me last time.(DUH!) I couldn't find win. white box in 55 gr. I picked up 4 boxes of the remington and got time this morning. 1st shot was about 11/2 low made my adjustments and fired again. Fantastic! Now, I'm back on track! Sorry, I was shooting 100yds. I tried some win. white box bullets I had from last time. They shot about 1/2 higher than the remingtons. Okay, that lets me know about the 223. So, I get the 30-30 win. out and tried it. It shoots the coreloks great. Right in the dead zone! :toast: I had a box of win. 30-30s. BTW, they were both 150 gr. I noticed that the win. shot about 1 1/2 inches high. I'm just curious, does win. ammo have just a little more powder or something? :?  So, I went back and shot a couple more coreloks. Right dead center! :mrgreen: Do you guys know why? :roll:
                                                                  tommy
I like my trophies on my wall and in my belly

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 04:23:22 AM »
Glad to see your handi rifles shoot for you  :D . As far as if one manufacture loads their ammo hotter than another is anyones guess.
As long as you find one that works good for you is the key.

John

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 05:44:07 AM »
Tommy, is your 223 a 1-9 twist or 1-12?
The El-cheapo UMCs shoot ok in my 223 at an inch consistantly. The WWB 55gr FMJs used to shoot terrible, but as of late, they have been doing better in my rifle than the UMCs. Perhaps it's better barrel break in, or just been getting a bad lot from Winchester in the earlier part of the year. But they are accurate enough for decent plinking now.
As far as raising bullets, 1/2" that's not too bad.
 I tried out the Natec PCA Spectrum 55gr FMJ's and they were shooting consistantly 10 inches higher than my zero at 120 yards !! :eek:  :)
Point in case, you take a gamble with cheap ammo. Some perform well and others do not.
-Aaron

Offline Coastwatcher

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 06:43:44 AM »
Tommy101, ballistics are not a simple science.  While its true that a hotter load will fly flatter and therefore print higher, there are other factors to consider.  In reality a slower load will often print higher because during the recoil phase the barrel muzzle is rising.  The slower bullet is in the barrel for a longer period of time and exits at a higher aimpoint than a faster load.  To truly compare you have to immobilize the gun so that you are sure the barrel is in the same position for all loads.  Most people don't bother since you can achieve the desired results easier using a Chrony.  That and group size will tell you everything you need to know.
My prayers are always answered,  sometimes the answer is no...........

Offline greenjeans

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 10:40:56 AM »
Both my 30-06 and 25-06 do the same. If sighted in with Winchester gray box, they both shoot noticably lower with Core-Lokt (2-2 1/2). Shot both with both ammo in the last couple of weeks and noticed this. The Winchester shoots left, the Core-lokt right.
Romans 8:38,39

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2005, 10:45:44 AM »
Well, since I got it last CHRISTmas, I would say it's 1 in 12 twist. I have noticed that win. ammo is just a little hotter load. I switched to wildcat 22 loads for my 22. I got rid of the hollow points and went back to round nose bullets. Now, with the 22 sighted in, the bullet goes exactly where the crosshairs meet. I mean dead on! :sniper:  :mrgreen:
But to answer your question on the twist, I would say it's 1 in 12 twist. I really don't know how to tell. If you can tell me how to find out, please do! I would like to know for sure :yeah:
                                                            tommy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 10:52:33 AM »
Checking the twist rate is as easy as running a cleaning rod down the bore with a tight patch and jag on the the end, stop before you exit the bore, mark the rod with a little flag of tape wrapped around the rod at the breech or muzzle depending on which end you started, withdraw the rod slowly allowing the rod to rotate freely so the patch/jag follows the rifling. When the tape has rotated one full turn, measure from the tape to the breech/muzzle, that's the twist rate, probably 1 turn in 12". :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline TOMMYY01

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2005, 11:03:55 AM »
Thanks quick! I appreciate it! :toast:
                                     tommy

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2005, 11:05:42 AM »
You're welcome, I just added this to the FAQ, it's been asked about a lot lately!! :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Avid Poster
winchester ammo shooting high
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 12:51:05 PM »
I have sithted in a bunch of my rifles over the years, a lever action marlin in 35 rem, 45-70 handi rifle, swedish mauser long rifle model 96, handi rifle in 22-250 etc and on and on and on, and in all of them, if the federal and remington ammo was dead on or near it, the winchester ammo shot higher than them for the same point of aim....for real....hope this helps.....andy

Offline Paul5388

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2005, 06:17:36 AM »
I believe some of the Win 55 gr ammo is now Israeli IMI (or TZZ, same place just different headstamp).  The Israeli stuff shoots pretty good for me.