Author Topic: Accuracy of 308  (Read 632 times)

Offline JKump

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Accuracy of 308
« on: November 27, 2005, 06:22:58 AM »
I just got a 308 survivor with the bull barrel.  I had a 243 superlight Handi that I got good accuracy from.  What should I expect from the 308?  I heard that they are on of the more accurate Handi rifles. :-)
Everyone has a game plan, until they get punched in the mouth.

Live everyday as if it is your last!  Because someday you will be right.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Accuracy of 308
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 06:36:12 PM »
Well to answer your question, you don't really know till you shoot it :grin: .
But you are right from all indication, the owners of the Bull Barrel 308 Handis, they are great shooters. I haven't purchased one, due to the shorter barrel, but that's another topic.
Just find the load it likes, some have done well with just the cheap Winchester Super-Xs. I do love the 308, it's so predictable. And truely a proven cartridge if there ever was one.
After barrel break in and a good cleaning/polishing, I am sure you will be happy with the end results.
-Aaron

Offline Broken-arrow

• Avid Poster
Accuracy of 308
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 09:12:15 PM »
Myarmor is right. You don't know til you shoot it. I got one for my son when he outgrew the .223 and 3" groups @ 100 yds was about the best it would do. And thats after trying all the little tricks that are supposed to make these things shoot. Where I hunt , there is lots of open country so 250-300+ yd shots do present themselves. So even 1 1/2 - 2 MOA don't cut it.  There-fore I gave up on the Handis. But yours may be a shooter. Good luck.  :D
Please write me off of GB outdoors, I do not want to be a part of it any more.

Deactivated as requested.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Accuracy of 308
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 10:01:41 PM »
I got a 308 Survivor, replaced stock with the Choate Varmit stock, it shoots MOA easily, what I'm deer hunting with now............

Offline coop2564

• A Real Regular
Accuracy of 308
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 07:06:30 AM »
I have just got a new 308 barrel and the more I shoot it the more accurate its getting working on 3rd box of shells down to 1'' groups. Everytime I clean it and shoot a new group its better. I installed the choate varmit forend but not the stock. As long as i rest at or behind the forend screw i'm dead on, but if I rest infront of the screw I hit a little high. Same as when I put on bipod if I move bipod in the track back to forend screw deadly but when infront groups open and go a little high. But overall i'm real happy with the new 308 barrel.
Browning Illusion Bow
Omega Thumbhole .50_NEF Huntsman .50
Knight KP1 .243_Custom Rem 700 .308_Browning Safari Bar .300 WSM, Ruger No.1 30-06
Taurus .41 rem mag Raging Bull_S&W M&P 40C_Browning BuckMark .22_Savage 93R .17HMR

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
Accuracy of 308
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 07:12:35 AM »
My Survivor barrel would shoot 1/2" groups all day long with the Federal Premium match ammo...and shoots even better for my neighbor I sold it to with the Winchester 150 grain Power points...I can't say how the regular 308 barrels will do for you...as others have said..the only way to find out is to shoot it and see...everyone is different...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline RackWrangler

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Accuracy of 308
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 07:38:32 AM »
I bought a 308 survivor for my wife 3 years ago.  It is now my favorite gun to shoot.  It shoots sub-MOA groups everytime using Winchester 150 grain PowerPoints.  Only mods I've made are a slip-on recoil pad, and I built up the stock for a solid cheek-weld when looking through the scope.  I plan on adding a neoprene shell holder to absorb some of the recoil transferred to the cheek.  I will be purchasing another 308 survivor  for myself shortly. :grin:
:lol: Life's too short to not enjoy every minute :lol:

Offline lostsniper308

• A Real Regular
  • old beaten up Martini-Henry .303 we found.
    • My Facebook account
Accuracy of 308
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 09:17:52 AM »
my Ultra with standard barrel even did MOA but curiosity got the best of me :grin:
B Co. 1-22Inf 1st BCT 4th Infantry Division
OIF 08-09 out of the army now