Author Topic: Found some nice shim material  (Read 325 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Found some nice shim material
« on: November 27, 2005, 04:15:03 PM »
I found some very nice hard shim material for the hinge pin.  Inside the little plastic anti theft stick on thingies they demagnatise at the check stand on pricy items there are three strips of very thin (.0015) hard steel strips about an inch and quarter  long by a quarter inch wide, just right for shims under each side on the hinge pin.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 04:43:31 PM »
That sounds great, I usually buy used feeler gauges at yard sales and get different thicknesses. How do you get the anti-theft "thingies", aren't they removed when you pay for the item and before you leave the store?....<><.... :?
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline hylander

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:47:56 PM »
aren't they removed when you pay for the item and before you leave the store

Nope:
They are run over a demagnatizer thingy.
Failure is not an option
Placer County, Calif.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 04:49:55 PM »
I believe its that little black plastic thingie, thats glued somewhere inconspicuous on a package. I find them on CD's and DVD's primarily.

GREAT idea!!!  I just had a friend resupply my stock, he works at a machine shop and gets me a piece of every size and material in stock!! LUCKY me!! Brass, flame hardened (BLUE STEEL) and mild steel. It coms in might handy!!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »
They leave them on, some times they are inside the package.  I put some plastigage behind them and discovered one side wanted .0015 while the other side wanted .003 to lock up evenly, so I cut up a feeler gauge for the .003.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.