Author Topic: 30/30 Accuracy and reliability??  (Read 712 times)

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
30/30 Accuracy and reliability??
« on: November 27, 2005, 05:07:57 PM »
I have been a long time owner of a Handi in 45-70.  It is a very accurate rifle.  I have never had a problem with extraction or ejection (except that one time I missed putting powder in a case, primer ignition pushed the bullet into the rifling but not completely out of the case) which is strong to say the least.  

I am interested in hearing people's experience with the 30/30 barrel.  Any problems?  Extraction/ejection fine?  If you reload, do the cases stretch much compared to a lever action?  What kind of accuracy to you get?

I would be most interested in loading spitzers since it is a single shot, so any information on that would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks all..

Offline SourMash

• BTO
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 05:41:37 PM »
I am interested in similar information, as I will most likely be adding a 30-30 bbl. for my Handi.

Offline Major

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 06:49:05 PM »
Well, I will share what I know however I am without a .30-30 at the moment.

First let me address the extraction question.   I understand that the rimmed cases don’t usually suffer from the “sticky case” problem and the .30-30 has s rim so that should take care of that problem.

Next, it is my opinion that while spitzers can be fired in a single shot I would hate to have someone accidentally load one into a tubular magazine and shoot the rifle.   My thought is to ream out the Handi to a .30-30 Ackley Improved therefore making it impossible to fire in a regular .30-30 chamber.   Then too, the increased shoulder angle slows down case stretching and the added case capacity gives about 200-feet per second more velocity.   As an interesting side note, Ackley discovered that since the modified case griped the chamber walls better and the case head diameter had not been increased or altered, the rearward case head thrust was actually reduced on the breach face even though the velocity was higher.   Also, if you neck size only that too will cut down case stretch.

In theory less rearward case head thrust should mean a slight reduction in felt recoil as well.   Probably not enough to feel but you will not be straining the action at all with that extra bit of velocity.

Also, any Ackley modified chamber can still fire factory .30-30 ammo so if you run out of your handloads you can get a box of regular shells and keep on shooting.   After all, that is how you fire form the cases anyway.   And if you are planning to shoot spitzers you are handloading anyway so handloading for the AI should not be any more trouble.

In addition, the extra little bit of velocity means you will be better able to take advantage of what those spitzers have to offer.

Lastly, reaming out the chamber to the Ackley Improved is an easy hand operation. No different than when a bunch of shooters here reamed .357 Magnums into .357 Maximums.

I probably didn’t answer your questions as you wanted but hopefully I gave you some food for thought.   Do a Goggle search on the .30-30 Ackley Improved and read what others have had to say about it.   My next .30-30 will definitely get the Ackley modification.

PS: I hear that the regular .30-30 works great and is accurate in the Handi if that is all the farther you want to go.   :D
Deactivated as trouble maker

Offline tom barthel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
.30-30 AI
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 08:21:31 PM »
That is another good reason.  As for me, I just wanted something different.  I don't load maximun loads in anything.  I'm more worried about my belt stretching then the receiver.  I only keep spitzer type jacketed bullets.  I also cast as needed.  If anyone wants to make a reasonable change of caliber and accepts full responsibility for it, I say go for it.  I am very happy with mine.  I have two very uncommon calibers.  I have a .30-40 and a .30-30 AI.  Just because I wanted them.  I may even go for a .338-06 some time in the future.

Be safe in all you do and God bless.

Tom

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Avid Poster
30-30 handi
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 01:00:11 PM »
I am fairly new to the 30-30 handi rifle, but i just bought one a month or so ago and have only put one handload through it, h380/38 grains behind a winchester 150-grain power point bullet...has been damned accurate, nice powerful, consistent load.....Now, I have had a handi rifle in 45-70 since before that was cool, once had the early 22-250 with nice blonde stock/forearm, (had ejection problems) now have a .270 ultra-comp and a 280 handi.....the newer rifles eject better despite the uglier wood and generally poorer finish.....my new 30-30 has been a dream despite poor finish etc....still has some horrible machining marks on the breech end of the barrel, looks like someone took a screw driver to the metal...but it shoots, locks up and ejects like a dream....and i have pu t about 135 rounds of handloads through it....without a proper cleaning as is suggested in these posts....so i can really say it is an ok round in an ok rifle....akh

Offline JPH45

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 04:35:19 PM »
I had a 30-30 barrel (Paul 5388 has it now), also had a Model 158 30-30 years back. Both shot very well and not a moments trouble with ejection unless I didn't full length resize after necksizing for 3-4 loadings. I don't have any trouble with the concept of loading spitzers in the 30-30 cases, loaded to be just off the lands, they will almost never function through a lever action....too long. Besides, it is easy enough to either shoot or pull bullets or dent the cases so they are unuseable in a lever gun. Unlike 45-70 loads, I can look at a spitzer loaded 30-30 case and tell what it was loaded for and what not to use it in. The difference is obvious and unmistakeable. Can't say that for a trapdoor level 300 JHP and a Ruger level 300 JHP, they look the same :eek: Besides, how many time you ever heard of a magazine tube blow up??? I've read about them.... in gun rags. I've read experiments on 'em. Not once in 30 years of shooting have I heard of one first hand, nor witnessed one, nor do I know anyone who has......

I was running 150 grain bullets (Sierra 150 ProHunters and GameKings) to 2360 with 33.5 grains of WC846 (milsurp) Very accurate. Use H335 or BL-C2, start with starting data and work up. 748 also makes a nice 30-30 powder. The factory Remington 150 Coreloct shot best groups, 3/8" at 50 yards and clocked a dead even 2400 fps. Good stuff. I drove Nosler 180 Partitions to 2360 without excessive pressure signs.

It is a good cartridge and a great performer in the Handi. I didn't hang on to mine, I didn't get good results with full power cast bullets, my problem, not the barrels. But it shot jacketed bullets great. Am thinking about another one myself. Prolly one of the best performers NEF offers.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 03:55:54 AM »
had a older 30 30 h&r...it shoot good i loaded imr 30 31 in it nothing screaming  just factory type reloads...never a ejection problem out of a rimmed case....it shot 183 gr. gas checked bullets to same point of impact as 170 gr rn.jacked..      with same powder... also i had a 180 gr. plus pointed lead bullet that it really liked,but its been to long to remember all the details ,sorry,..it shot 7 gr. of red dot with that same 180 gr. lead good enough to kill  tree rats to about 30 yds,,, never got to shot it at deer,but it was a good shoting gun...jb

Offline RemingtonMagnum

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
30-30
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2005, 04:46:22 AM »
I would love to see reports of 30-30 NEF/H&R New England rifles velocity using Nosler/Spitzer bullets. I suspect it would drastically improve with these bullets.

My only 30-30 is a Savage 24F over 12 ga. and I plan to reload ammo for my single shot with non flat point ammo. I do suppose it could cause a problem if someone got the ammo mixed up for a Marlin 336.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 05:23:28 AM »
Right now I am using 125-130 gr single shot pistol bullets at reduced loads about 2000-2100fps (for my son) get right at an inch at 100yrds if I can hold still
150gr winchester as good or better than any lever gun IN 30-30 i've owned
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2005, 07:43:32 AM »
ONE HOLE 4570

Have you tried the 130gr Hornady Interlock. This bullet should do well on deer too. I use a lot of Speer 125gr TNT in my 30BR they shoot really well.

For an excellent game bullet the 130gr TSX bullet should be good one if they are accurate at the lower 30-30 velocity.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.