Poll

Button Bucks or Spike buck, Let them walk or shoot them??

Shoot them
14 (37.8%)
Let them walk
23 (62.2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: November 29, 2005, 01:47:44 AM

Author Topic: Button Bucks or spike buck, Let them walk or shoot them??  (Read 2041 times)

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Button Bucks or spike buck, Let them walk or shoot them??
« on: November 29, 2005, 01:47:44 AM »
I let the button bucks walk. The same goes for spike bucks. I hate to see a button buck or a spike buck killed. JMHO
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Button Bucks or spike buck, Let them walk o
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 03:39:25 AM »
I will definitely let a button buck walk!  
They are this years fawn and most likely haven't gone a day without mothers milk!

I will usually let spikes walk unless they have long curved antlers (resembling the main beam on a rack buck), what we call "cow-horn"!
Even then, it depends a lot on how big the deer is!  Little ones walk!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline Rummer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 04:25:59 AM »
I have unintentionally shot a couple of button bucks but I let them go whenever I am close enough to see the buttons.

In PA we have to let the spikes go.  Back when spikes over three inches made a deer an antlered deer, I saw some big bodied spikes.  

Rummer

Offline willysjeep134

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 04:45:17 AM »
It would all really depend on where I was hunting. Take, for instance, Menominee county Michigan. The DNR had estimated in the past up to 80 deer per square mile in some areas. There are just too many deer, period, for any of them to get the resources they need to grow big. I might take a spikehorn, but not a nubby if I can avoid it.  I feel a lot better about taking does though, because it also helps balance the sex ratio. I don't feel quite so bad about taking spikehorns but if I'm just doing it for meat, it would benifit everybody if I took a doe instead. Besides, property owner doe tags are really cheap and easy to get.

In a few years, when the population as a whole gets lower, I will raise my standards on bucks and maybe move up to 6 pointers as my minimum, but I will need to see my cedar swamp start to recover before I think the population is low enough to stop thinning the herd across the board.
If God wanted plastic stocks he would have made plastic trees.

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 04:55:10 AM »
I am less inclined to shoot a spike purly because it would burn my buck tag.  But a button buck though would be classified as antlerless.  I have shot a couple over the years, the only problem is that they are small.  I feel no remorse because it was a buck, as a fawn it has any where from a 70-90% chance of being winter kill.  Though as population control (which is the reason for antlerless tags) it is not as effective as taking an adult doe, so I do  generally go for adults only with my antlerless tags.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline WylieKy

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 06:33:27 AM »
I would let most spikes walk, unless it was a "cowhorn", then I would drop it as a cull.  Button bucks though......um....vealison.... Besides, most of my shots are over 100 yrds, and with my optics, I probably wouldn't see the difference between a button buck and a young doe.  With deer densities in my area, I should probably shoot the spikes as well, but the land owner has asked that I let bucks under 7 points walk unless it's an obvious "cowhorn", he also doesn't mind the buttons as long as share some vealison with him.
This that I do, I do by my own free will.

Offline beemanbeme

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 07:06:05 AM »
I shoot deer to eat.  So a button or spike is at peril around me.  And if the game bio's say to kill more does, I haven't a problem with that.
I have READ  that buttons or small spikes are either late fawns or genetically inferior with regards to antlers.  "cow horns", of course are.  If I remember correctly, the article said a healthy buck from good genetic stock should be at least a well defined 2x2.  
Among other sources,  the article cited a large hunt club that was formed and for the first several years, shot only spikes and buttons.  After that few spikes and buttons were seen annually.  
In the FWIW department, I have seen a 2x2 mulie buck that was still with and nursing his mother.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 07:11:08 AM »
I will take a doe before i shoot an imature buck anywhere,anytime.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline lefty o

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 08:03:57 AM »
if its brown, its down.

Offline Steelbanger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 09:38:23 AM »
With our dwindling deer numbers here in PA, I would rather shoot a button buck than a doe. Does are the future of the herd. We can't shoot spilkes either.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, NRA Life

Marlin - a hard habit to break.

Offline Charlie Tango

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 10:21:47 AM »
I usually make my decision by the body size.  If the deer has a small body and appears to be this years fawn, I let them walk.  If it has a big body and small antlers, I shoot.  Usually the button bucks have a small body, and the spikes with a big body might always be a spike.

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
Button or Spike
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 11:03:18 AM »
Heck yes shoot the button bucks. As far as Spike Bucks go I say go for it. The whole world is way to focused on Horns for the wall. Would it be nice to have a big rack for your friends to admire? You bet. In the mean time we all should eat good and do our part to reduce deer autombile confontations. Last year there were over twenty people killed in deer auto crashs in SD.

longwalker

Offline R.W.Dale

• Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 11:20:02 AM »
In Arkansas if you shoot a button buck or a spike you get a ticket. Must have at least 3 points on one side to be legal.

Offline Johnny Reb

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 12:17:37 PM »
I always let buttons walk, unless of course I confuse them for does.  Who knows, that little button buck may be the next state record in four or five years.  If a spike has a small body and small spikes, he walks.  If he has a big body and spikes, he gets a free truck ride.
Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy

Not fooled by the liberal media

Offline New Hampshire

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 12:53:08 PM »
I ant say for sure because it really depends.  If the season is going rough for me then I would most likely shoot whatever animal enters the area and is legal to shoot.  If things are going good for me, or I know there is potential for bigger deer, then sure I let a small guy pass.  But in the end 50 lbs of young meat in the freezer is better than no meat at all.
Brian
NRA Life Member
Member Londonderry Fish and Game Club
Member North American Fishing Club
Member North American Hunting Club
Member New Hampshire Historical Society
Member International Blackpowder Hunting Association

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 01:19:10 PM »
They get a pass.  Forked horn or better to be legal in California.  Even then I look for 3x3's or better.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 02:05:46 PM »
Yall ever been hungry?  Ain't no better eating if bucks are all that can be shot.........

There are still people hunting who are more interested in eating meat than putting antlers on the wall..........

I respect a guy who needs meat awhole lot more than a guy who wants a big mount on the wall........
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Johnny Reb

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 03:32:39 PM »
Victorcharlie,

I'm sorry that you do not respect the way that some of us choose to hunt.  So far this year, the guy that I hunt with and I have killed a total of eight deer, all legally.  We have both filled our freezers, and have put meat in the freezers of several of our friends, and not a single buck was killed while doing so.  We live in an area that has plenty of deer, as long as we want to keep paying $12.50 for two bonus tags, we can keep shooting does.  I never have looked down on anyone for what they do or don't choose to shoot, and I would hope that others would not look down on me because I choose to let small bucks walk in hopes that they may someday be a trophy.  I love to shoot does, but I also love the thought that there may be a monster out there, and that I might be the one that gets a shot at him.  To each his own I guess, good hunting.

Johnny Reb
Proud member of the vast right wing conspiracy

Not fooled by the liberal media

Offline Gregory

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 04:26:04 PM »
When I'm hunting, I'm an opportunist.  If I have an antlerless tag to fill I'll take the first animal that presents a decent shot.  I wish my eyes were good enough to tell the buttons from the does, but I handgun hunt from woods ranges, usually on the ground, and things happen fast, no time to study them with binoculars.  I'd prefer not to shoot the buttons (rather it be a doe) but they taste just fine.

As far as spikes, again if they offer a good shot I'll take them.  No regrets.  

I do restrict myself to only taking two deer from the private land that I hunt.  If I get a third or fourth tag it's for another county.
Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
Re: Button or Spike
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 04:27:34 PM »
Quote from: longwalker
The whole world is way to focused on Horns for the wall. Would it be nice to have a big rack for your friends to admire?

longwalker

I don't do it for friends, I do it for myself. I also have a doe mounted, so a rack is not the main concern. The breeding stock is.

Quote from: victorcharlie
Yall ever been hungry? Ain't no better eating if bucks are all that can be shot.........

There are still people hunting who are more interested in eating meat than putting antlers on the wall..........

I respect a guy who needs meat awhole lot more than a guy who wants a big mount on the wall........

Just because some are not depending on the meat to sustain them, does not mean we are less of hunters than someone that depends on the meat. Sure I like the meat, but I also like a nice Rack once in a while. It is like a bonus. I respect all hunters that are ethical regardless if he is a meat or horn hunter. JMHO
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline DirtyHarry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 08:19:44 PM »
I let the button bucks and spikes walk, so they can grow big and sit on my wall.Generally what I do is hunt the big wall hanger nearly all season, then if I have not got him I take a doe for meat and for conservation purposes. Anyone who doesn't like how I hunt, thats your prerogative and I really couldn't care less if you like it or not anyway.... :D
The early bird get's the worm, but the second mouse get's the cheese.....

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2005, 02:34:00 AM »
Quote from: Johnny Reb
Victorcharlie,

I'm sorry that you do not respect the way that some of us choose to hunt.  So far this year, the guy that I hunt with and I have killed a total of eight deer, all legally.  We have both filled our freezers, and have put meat in the freezers of several of our friends, and not a single buck was killed while doing so.  We live in an area that has plenty of deer, as long as we want to keep paying $12.50 for two bonus tags, we can keep shooting does.  I never have looked down on anyone for what they do or don't choose to shoot, and I would hope that others would not look down on me because I choose to let small bucks walk in hopes that they may someday be a trophy.  I love to shoot does, but I also love the thought that there may be a monster out there, and that I might be the one that gets a shot at him.  To each his own I guess, good hunting.

Johnny Reb

Hey Reb.......I think you didn't understand me..........I to shoot a lot of does........much better eating........

Some of my friends that hunt deer don't eat them at all, and give the meat away.........I've got now problem with that either...........I've also got friends who don't eat them, and arn't interested in anything but a nice pretty rack..........And I don't have any problem with that either as long as someone gets some meat...........

I said I respect a meat hunter more than a headhunter........that doesn't mean that I disrespect anyone.........All men deserve to be treated with dignity and respect........even the worst of the worst, after their behind bars............A fellow can't expect to be treated any better than the way he treats others.........

Meat hunters are held a rung higher in my eyes.......
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2005, 01:22:58 PM »
I don't have any qualms about shooting buttons or spikes if that's what walks by first.  First and foremost I'm a meat hunter, and never really understood why people go the entire season without filling their tag, because they want that rack...I mean...no matter how long you cook them, you can't eat them.  There's also alot cheaper hat racks than that!!!  I understand that some people like the look of a mount on the wall, and the compliments from their friends, and I can respect that to an extent.  I get so fed up with the hunting shows on the television that show the hunter saying...oh it's not that big of a rack, but it was the "last day of the hunt/season"....come on guys!!!  That deer is just as much of a trophy as the next, but they are so taken over by bigger is better that they don't realize they just killed one of the most cunning animals in the woods!!!  Personally, I don't really care to let bucks grow up, they just get tougher and gamier tasting, and thats the ultimate reason that we hunt isn't it???....to eat the animal we harvest?.....sorry I need to get off my soapbox.  If you want to impress me, show me a large bodied animal, like the one's in canada, or a 200-250lb. doe....that what "yanks my crank" so to speak.  Its not about the antlers, and because of that, I'll keep on shooting the young one's if they decide to pay me a visit first.  Just my 2 cents.

~~~Amos
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2005, 05:15:25 PM »
Quote from: cattleskinner
I don't have any qualms about shooting buttons or spikes if that's what walks by first.  First and foremost I'm a meat hunter, and never really understood why people go the entire season without filling their tag, because they want that rack...I mean...no matter how long you cook them, you can't eat them.  There's also alot cheaper hat racks than that!!!  I understand that some people like the look of a mount on the wall, and the compliments from their friends, and I can respect that to an extent.  I get so fed up with the hunting shows on the television that show the hunter saying...oh it's not that big of a rack, but it was the "last day of the hunt/season"....come on guys!!!  That deer is just as much of a trophy as the next, but they are so taken over by bigger is better that they don't realize they just killed one of the most cunning animals in the woods!!!  Personally, I don't really care to let bucks grow up, they just get tougher and gamier tasting, and thats the ultimate reason that we hunt isn't it???....to eat the animal we harvest?.....sorry I need to get off my soapbox.  If you want to impress me, show me a large bodied animal, like the one's in canada, or a 200-250lb. doe....that what "yanks my crank" so to speak.  Its not about the antlers, and because of that, I'll keep on shooting the young one's if they decide to pay me a visit first.  Just my 2 cents.

~~~Amos

Button bucks and spike bucks are the breading stock for the next couple of years. Some people like to get meat, some like horns, I like both. The horns are the bonus in my opinion. Also I can get a doe any time. I will take a doe at the last light of the day and fill my freezer, then I am on a big buck quest. i just enjoy hunting all together.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2005, 01:03:33 AM »
Quote from: cattleskinner
..I mean...no matter how long you cook them, you can't eat them.   Personally, I don't really care to let bucks grow up, they just get tougher and gamier tasting, and thats the ultimate reason that we hunt isn't it???....to eat the animal we harvest?....  
~~~Amos

I think bucks in general have a stronger, gamier flavor than does.......and the bigger the buck the gamier the taste..........I'll take a young doe any day as they eat the best......I like the smaller ones as they are much easier for one man to dress out.........Harder for me to hang a big deer by myself.....smaller animals are easier to work with........  

The wife and I usually watch a few hunting shows on Saturday mornings.......She loves to watch Cindy Garrison......heck....so do I!  

The wife, after watching a home improvement show decided we should update the kitchen........heck, they did it in 22 minutes on HGTV.....nothing to it!  Six weeks later she says she'll never do this again..........Same way with the hunting shows.........maybe 20 minutes when you take out the commercials and they always kill a Boone and Crockett high scoring animal........She'll say "You and Mac (a hunting partner) need to go to where ever and hunt one of those."  

I don't think she understands how much preseason work....scouting and such is required to harvest those animals.........and there is always the guide...........who's watched the animal all year.........that needs to be paid.........She's a doll, but it's not in the budget!  Or is she just trying to get rid of me for a week or so?  

Still, the saturday morning shows always show a hunter with an animal that got a huge rack and scores big points........never a small eating animal........this, I think compounds the idea that smaller animals have less value.......JMO.......
Barry Goldwater

Offline Redhawk1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2005, 01:20:17 AM »
victorcharlie, I agree. I love to eat the young doe's. I donate a lot of deer to the hunters for the hungry also, which are usually the bigger bucks. Where I hunt, a small doe is something I can get any time. But the big bucks, I have to put in my time and to me it is well worth it.  :D
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Life Member NA

Offline .308sniper

• Contributor
  • happiness is a steaming gut pile.
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2005, 06:02:40 AM »
I voted shoot them. But it depends when in the season it is.

Late season and I have not shot one then ill shoot one.

Late season and I have shot one or more I would wait.

Early season ill shot the first legale deer I see.
have fun! get it done with a 308.

Offline iiibbb

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2005, 06:50:57 AM »
Quote from: .308sniper
I voted shoot them. But it depends when in the season it is.

Late season and I have not shot one then ill shoot one.

Late season and I have shot one or more I would wait.

Early season ill shot the first legale deer I see.

+1 but I passed on a spike I saw the first day because the only shot it gave me was a headshot at 50 yrds.

Offline cattleskinner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2005, 04:20:54 PM »
At least I'm not the only one who gets a little tired of seeing huge racked deer being shot on every show by a rifle at god-awful ranges.  It gets to me when you see some of these "hunters" being careless shooting at animals on the crests of hills, or where there muzzle is pointed...it's just common sense that a 9 year old who just took a hunters safety course would know not to do...oh well, they're getting paid, I'm not.  It may just be me personally, but I like watching the show by Ted Nugent..."Spirit of the Wild".  He might be a bit crazy to watch, but if you really listen to him, he shows so much respect for the animals he harvests, and is a strong advocate for the military and shooting sports in general...I like that.  Ya'll have a good'un.

~~~Amos :D
"You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight"

Offline muzzleblast525

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Deer
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 05:13:39 PM »
How old does the deer appear to be?  Is he this year's deer, or is he 3.5...