Poll

handi rifle or encore

handi rifle
20 (95.2%)
thompson encore
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Voting closed: November 29, 2005, 05:47:25 AM

Author Topic: opinions wanted  (Read 643 times)

Offline bulldurham

• Trade Count: (0)
opinions wanted
« on: November 29, 2005, 05:47:25 AM »
hi all new to the forum after luking for a few days looks like this is a good forum with lots of good participation anywho....

my question is simply what are the pros and cons of owning it and with all the laping cleaning shimming would i just be better off owning and encore. thanks in advance

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:55:48 AM »
Welcome to GBO :D

I voted for the Handi Rifle for several reasons...cost being the main reason..While the Encores are great rifles they are over priced to many here..and for the cost of having just 1 rifle in the Encore....you can have several in the Handi...lapping the barrels is a practice used by many folks around the world..and isn't just limited to us Handi-holics to make our little rifles shoot better...If you are a 1 rifle shooter...with no interest in switching barrels or working for accuracy..the Encore may appeal more to you..they certainly have a-lot better fit and finish to them most of the time..but you'll find as far as accuracy goes...the Handi's will hold their own with the best of the single shots on the market...

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
opinions wanted
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 06:13:34 AM »
I feel like in a NEF forum your poll is going to be quite biased....but like Mac said......for the price,ya just can't beat 'em.....I've been to the encore sight,too and it seems they have some of the same problems we do....probably not quite as often,but the problems we have are easily fixed.....you can buy a hand for what an encore BARREL costs and you may STILL get a lemon with the encore....I'm not knocking the encore,but IMHO they are overpriced
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline MtJerry

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
opinions wanted
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 06:15:43 AM »
Quote from: Mac11700
you'll find as far as accuracy goes...the Handi's will hold their own with the best of the single shots on the market...

Mac

Just remember as you view the results that this was posted on the NEF/H&R forum ... I expect it to be one-sided  :wink:

Mac's last statement sums it all up.

There have been numerous discussions about this and it will revolve around cost, fit and finish, accuracy and after-market barrel availibility.  

But I repeat, Mac's last sentence is the key.
:D

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
opinions wanted
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 06:47:05 AM »
Perhaps this might help...

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/feb97money.html

And this was with a un-tuned Handi....

Biased?????? Who us?????  :)  :-D  :)

Mac

Offline bulldurham

opinions wanted
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 06:51:54 AM »
lol, i was counting on the biassed response i really like the feel of a handi rifle and have just recently aquired a 45-70 the only problem is that it has "J" serial number and after researching on this fine site i will only have access to a few barrels. but i have been eyeballin a ultra .204 just wonderin if i should make the plunge, cuz once i start i will prolly have about 8 to 10 barrels within a year. just wantin to see how everbody feels about there handi rifle after the "honeymoon" see if they still think it a wise investment

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
opinions wanted
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 07:08:40 AM »
My honeymoon has been over with them for 25 years :)  :)  :)

Mac

Offline bulldurham

opinions wanted
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 07:13:43 AM »
^  :-D thats all i needed to know any advice yall got for checking out a new handi like what to look for

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
opinions wanted
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 07:15:13 AM »
My idea is to have a dedicated Handi action and barrel for each caliber. My tuning involves a multitude of steps that are not tranferable from one barrel to another.

Also it seams that good accuracy is obtained with Handi switch barrels.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
opinions wanted
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 07:34:55 AM »
Many people ask this question and compare the Handi to the Encore and Ruger #1. But I don't think it's fair to compare them. Like was mentioned the fit and over all finish on the Encore and Ruger are beautiful, and extremely solid. And the price range isn't anywhere close to a Handi.
Just depends on the intended use, price range, quality, "name"-if that apeals to you, and the amount of comprimise you are willing to work with, of the rifle in question. With slight modifications, they all shoot good and some don't even need that.
Just depends a lot on the individual shooter, as to whats right for him. I didn't vote for either one, they both have their strengths and weaknesses.
If you want a inexpensive rifle, that you are willing to be patient with, and like to tinker, then the Handi is a great choice by any standard.
If you want something to show off at the range and look fantastic with a big name, then the Encore is a great choice.
But you got to admit the look on other peoples face when you whip out a "Humble Handi" and shoot some nice tiny groups is great.
-Aaron

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• A Real Regular
opinions wanted
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 08:01:23 AM »
Here's the simple answer....  If you are satisfied with the calibers offered and are looking for a great value for your money, the Handi is the only way to go.  If money isn't an object and you want a bunch of caliber options, the Encore is the way to go.

Jim
He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
opinions wanted
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 08:14:27 AM »
:toast: Very well put.

Offline Varminter

• A Real Regular
opinions wanted
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 09:42:55 AM »
If your considering the encore you might as well get the handi. The Encore can be just as finicky as the handi. On the handis you only have 1 forearm screw to deal with. Some of the encore barrels have 3 screws. Unless you want something wild get the handi.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
The gene pool could use a little chlorine.

Offline .308

• Contributor
opinions wanted
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 10:52:36 AM »
Quote from: Varminter
Unless you want something wild get the handi.
The wildest thing I've ever shot is my synthetic Handi in .45-70 with 500 gr. cast boolits. :shock:  :shock:  :)

Offline mitchell

• Trade Count: (8)
opinions wanted
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 02:33:16 PM »
is it just me or does this poll seam rigged???

its ok i wanted NEF to win anyway.
curiosity killed the cat , but i was lead suspect for a while

Offline Broken-arrow

• Avid Poster
opinions wanted
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 03:10:08 PM »
:-D Now why dont you go to your local Ford dealer and ask him which is better, Ford or Chevy, Duh.  :?
Please write me off of GB outdoors, I do not want to be a part of it any more.

Deactivated as requested.

Offline bulldurham

opinions wanted
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 03:43:04 PM »
how do they hold up in the long run? i plan on doin alot of shooting. any thoughts on the new .204 ruger i been comparing to the 22-250 i am kinda leary of new calibers. just barely sold a 10mm pistol and still cant unload a 357 sig barrel. :-D