Author Topic: Hard hunt, but it paid off..  (Read 623 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Hard hunt, but it paid off..
« on: November 29, 2005, 08:44:36 AM »
Well me and a friend went out yesterday to just go for some meat. Trophys are for Lance Armstrong, I want to just fill my freezer :excuseme:
It was a very crappy day, started raining in sheets :rain:  with strong wind gusts, I was sitting uo in the barn thinking to myself, "Man, glad I aint out stalking in this crap :) "
After a couple hours goes by and nothing seen, my buddy comes back to the barn. Hasn't seen anything in our area. :x
Well it was getting darker as the sun had already set, so we decide to go down by the river bottom, before we go home,  to see if there's any movement. And it's still pouring rain, so we where soaked before we even got half way down there :wet:
We get down to the bottom and see 2 tails spring up, they only could have smelled us as the wind was working against us. We started working our way slowly around the bend, and...there they take off-5 White Tail does.
I steady off hand with the 30-06 UltraComp, with my bipods folded up-attached of course in my area, all the way to the rear :wink: - and fire!
It was about 250 yards, and I shot it through the neck. Had to wade in the river to drag it out, and gut it while it was dark and pouring down. Then had to drag the stupid thing a mile out to the truck!! :x  :?  :twisted:
A great hunt to be sure, albeit a hard and very wet one too. I was carrying my 30-06 UltraComp with Laminated Stocks, and a Simmons Whitetail Expedition 4-12 scope, zeroed at 2  1/2" high at 120yards. I had applyed a coat of Flitz liquid polish to the stock and barrel about 3 months ago, and man I have to say this is some good stuff! You couldn't even tell it had got wet, the wood was waterproofed very well, and no signs of water on on it. And the Simmons did very well too, and it looked like I had poured a bucket of water on top of my rifle.
Oh well, that's my story on my first deer killed with a Handi. I love the 30-06, I want a 26" barrel !!! :oops: sorry, I need to stop saying that-it slips out :wink:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 08:54:53 AM »
WTG Aaron, good shootin!!! :wink:  Are ya sure yer not huntin in Washington?? That weather report sounds just like here! :(
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline myarmor

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:29:01 AM »
It's funny out of all the days I have had to go, only 1 day has been nice....and I didn't see a thing.
I was hesitant about posting this, cause I thought it might come off like I was bragging. I got home and told my dad how I made the shot, and he didn't believe me. Then I told him I was for real, and he congragulated me.
I suppose I was a little wreckless, but I haven't got anything all season, so I took a chance. I was confident with my UltraComp, I knew it could do it, and felt assured of myself. I have been practicing off hand with it, and it did pay off. The Extra weight of the Bi-Pod helped too.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:05:30 PM »
Myarmor,GREAT SHOT!!!!   and CONGRATS     :toast:

did ya have in hearin protection? if not,are yer ears still ringing?     :-D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline JPH45

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:27:32 PM »
Quote from: myarmor
I was confident with my UltraComp, I knew it could do it, and felt assured of myself. I have been practicing off hand with it, and it did pay off. The Extra weight of the Bi-Pod helped too.

Between March and hunting season (opens week prior to Thanksgiving around here) I will be found at my backyard range shooting everyday it ain't raining. I shoot 10-20 rounds weekdays and upwards of 50 on Saturdays and Sundays (each day) I alternate between bench and off hand shooting, and while the shots I made to take my two deer this year (so far) were "easy" shots, all the practice I do is what really made them easy. Kudo's on the deer, but my biggest kudos for practicing.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline myarmor

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 03:37:45 PM »
Yeah it was mad loud. Actually my friend offically hates my rifle now. He had an ear plug in the right side, but not the left. I have a cold right now so my ears were all stuffed up. Yeah it sure does give a headache, but there's no way around it in the heat of the moment.
I actually thought about ordering another 30-06 barrel, for this reason. I haven't shot another Handi in 30-06 other than my UltraComp. Perhaps this would be a good time to consider a stainless model?

And Thanks JPH.
The bench does get boring after awhile. You have to always challenge yourself, if you are to ever get better. And I shoot as much as I am able to, at least 2 days a week. And I do the same as well, rotate. First bench for some groups, then off hand for plate shooting. Standing, sitting-the Comp is very loud in this position-, and off nearby natural supports.
Besides to have fun and enjoy shooting :agree:

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 04:04:05 PM »
yeah,I'm undecided if i'm gonna keep  the 270 ultra comp for hunting.It has very light recoil,and is pretty accurate even though i'm sure it will improve with shooting and cleaning...but it's just soooo LOUD!!!!!!..(I've flitzed the barrel twice,and shot about a box and a half through it,hit a 2 liter bottle at about 175 yards the other day   :grin: ) ......I may just stay with my 243 superlight and then buy a whole new rifle in 7MM-08...just wish it came in synthetic   :(

Matt B.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »
The 7-08 is a great cartridge as well. And It would be awesome to have a stainless in it.
The UltraComps are a trade off that's for sure. On the one hand they don't kick hardly at all, but on the other, blow out you eardrums after an unprotected shot. I believe that I will mainly use this barrel for target work and free hand practice. That is unless I can be sure of hearing protection when I take a shot at live game.
What would be ideal for me and I am sure many here, is a few more calibers in 26" offerings..30-06...and...270 if nothing, heck at least 24". But all my words fall on deaf ears. Oh well.
I should just go for it and buy the 280 barrel and reload for it. That might be a realistic option, and excellent choice.
I just love those 30 cals though. I have shot more 30 cals than any other caliber, less the 22LR. But the 7mm is an extremely capable round and great reloading possibilites for it.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 04:42:20 PM »
But all my words fall on deaf ears

that's because they've shot the ultra comps   :-D  :)  :-D  :D

Matt B.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 05:03:27 PM »
WTG myarmor!!

Glad you got something for the freezer!
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline myarmor

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 07:07:15 PM »
Quote from: bladerunner
But all my words fall on deaf ears

that's because they've shot the ultra comps   :-D  :)  :-D  :D

:-D   Really!  :-D
And thanks Knight, she should taste pretty good. I wasn't sure exactly how much she weights, but I am banking on about 80 lbs all dressed out.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 07:33:34 PM »
Congrats Arron...great shooting on your part...and a well deserved deer for your freezor :oh:  :yeah:  :toast:

I should just go for it and buy the 280 barrel and reload for it. That might be a realistic option, and excellent choice.

Always a good choice...or...save a few bucks...get a 25-06 and send it to Wayne like I'm going to do...you got time...he won't be doing anything till after he gets all moved... :wink:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline myarmor

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 07:44:49 PM »
Thanks Mac. I am most sure the fellow does excellent work, and is very qualified too. If I was to do that I would go all out and get the 338-06 done :agree:
But I believe I will just hold out for my 308 I plan on.
Speaking of which, how is the 338 shooting for ya? Had a chance to take it out sense the last deer it claimed?

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
Hey congrats on that great shooting Arron! Meat always taste better after a harvest like that one.

John

Offline myarmor

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 08:33:35 PM »
I guess it is true the harder you work for something, the more you appreciate it :toast: -Thanks Bro

Offline De41mag

• A Real Regular
    • De41mag@aol.com
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 01:27:33 PM »
Aaron;

Great shooting with that 30-06. Man that's a heck of a shot a that distance.
You know, I'm 46 years old and I find myself no longer wanting a bolt gun, even though they are more inherantly accurate. Especally after the prairie dog shoot out in OK. And it''s strange... I'm at both ends of the spectrum, I like the single shots and I like my AR-15. A bolt gun just does not intrest me anymore. I guess I'm just getting old.
Again, Congratulations on the fine deer.

Dennis  :D

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 03:08:47 PM »
m'a'

congrat's on the hunt -- sticking it out -- and the shot.    if you keep this up we'll be calling you "Professor"! 8)

well done; and congratulations, again.

best to you,

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline bladerunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2005, 03:16:57 PM »
SS,If he keeps that up we'll be calling him "Sir"   :-D

or "Sniper" :D

Matt B.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2005, 03:54:04 PM »
:oops: Ya'll give me too much credit. I could never meet that quality of league of elites. I just like shoot and I do it as often as I can. It's such a release, for me.  But I do appreciate it. I always enjoy a good hunting story, and I thought you guys would too.
I was happy with the shot though. It would have been better if I had time to adjust my scope before I shot though. But nothing works out perfect on a hunt, at least not any of mine.
I have fought with the Handis for about a year now. I am glad I didn't give up on them. They do shoot straight, with some tinkering and persistance. They are fun rifles. Almost like trading cards when you where young :)
-Aaron