Author Topic: Handi lock up problem.  (Read 355 times)

Offline rnoll

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi lock up problem.
« on: November 29, 2005, 03:10:32 PM »
Hello, I am new to the forum but have been reading a lot of the interesting post for a few days. I have just brought home a 30-06 Handi rifle. :grin:  It is as dirty as I've read they come in. I noticed right away that I have to be a little agressive when I close the action. Otherwise it falls open again. :eek:  The blueing at the place it locks up on the barrell has only a sixteenth rubbed off it which may tell me that I am not getting full contact on the two mating surfaces. Has anyone experienced this? And what, if anything, Should  be done about it? Also the thumb release latch does not carry all the way back up to the position it is at when the barrel is in the open position. :?

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Handi lock up problem.
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 03:19:53 PM »
1/16th  inch on the latch shelf is probably about right, and 1/8 inch may be to the end of the latch travel, each gun is a little different.  If the release came up to where it is when the barrel is open it would mean you have run out of latch travel and it would be a bad thing.  It usually takes a little while for the closing to become smooth, the machining on the breach both the barrel and the receiver is quite crude, so as it wears down the high spots things will get better.   Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline rnoll

• Trade Count: (0)
Handi lock up problem.
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 03:30:05 PM »
Thanks Larry :D  Ill leave it alone. I am going to send the frame in right away for a 20 Ultra slug and a 12 turkey,28 in. modified barrel. can I shoot 2 3/4 in. shell in the 12. It is rated for 3 1/2.