Author Topic: Which European 1 inch scope?  (Read 547 times)

Offline JoeBru

• Trade Count: (0)
Which European 1 inch scope?
« on: November 30, 2005, 11:07:29 PM »
In recent times I've purchased two Zeiss Conquests and have been impressed with them; good performance for the money.
I'm know looking for another scope, I have had no experience with the 1 inch tube offerings from Doctor;  Khales or Swarovski.
How do they compare to the Conquests, which would you buy and why?

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 01:33:42 AM »
If I did not buy Leupold,  I would get Zeiss, Khales or Swarovski.  :D
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Bigboar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Khales
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 11:55:36 AM »
I have several Khales scope on various rifles and find them fantastic.  I like the 30mm European models but have the American models as well.  If you log onto SWFA's sample list web @ http://www.samplelist.com/ you can pick up a good value on demo scopes.  I have purchased several and they were like new.  Great stuff.

bigboar :D

Offline Zachary

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:42:19 PM »
SWFA is a bad word here at GBO because they tried to divert business from Jon at the optic zone by creating a new link called opticszone (with an "s").

That said, the Zeiss conquests are the best value for the money as far as European 1" scopes is concerned, especially when you consider that their reticles are etched.  As such, it is hard for me to recommend, and thus justify, the higher priced Zeiss 1" scopes, or the Swarovski scopes.  However, if you really want to spend the extra money, then get a Swarovski 1" American scopes, although I really don't think that you will notice much of a difference, if at all, from the Conquests.

Truth be told, Leupold's new VXIII scopes are far superior optically speaking than the previous Vari-X III scopes.  They also have 1" tubes and are, in my opinion, better than the Zeiss Conquest, and about the same money.  Keep in mind that although I own a few Leupold Scopes, I am not necessarily a Leupold fan because I think that they are over priced for their respective price category.  However, the new VXIIIs really are great scopes.  I bought my VXIII 3.5x-10x-40mm from Jon at the opticzone and mounted it on my Kimber 8400 Montana - what a great combo.

Zachary

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:33:58 AM »
From personal  experience ( I have all three), I prefer the Swarovski A-line 3-10x42 over the Zeiss Conquest (which is a great scope), followed by the Leupy VXIII ( a very good, overpriced scope).   The Swaro is fabulous, and has been for the past 6 years.  AS Zachary said, I would never, and will never buy anything from SWFA.........EVER.

Offline Bigboar

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 05:17:37 AM »
SWFA is a bad word here at GBO because they tried to divert business from Jon at the optic zone by creating a new link called opticszone (with an "s").

That's great information to know.  I did just purchase a  Zeiss Z-POINT from the Optic Zone and would agree you can't beat their prices on new scopes.  I still like the Khales line of scopes but I have a Zeiss Darvarti 3-9 X 40mm that is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks again for the info on SWFA.  It's too bad you could save some money on their demos and still have a warranty.  Optic Zone from now on.

bigboar :shock:

Offline Jimi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 12:26:49 PM »
I am a big Swarovski fan... though I have come to favor the 30mm tubes. I find their optics superior to the other brands. That said, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
WWJD?(What Would Jimi Do?)