Author Topic: Hinge pin diameter?  (Read 308 times)

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Hinge pin diameter?
« on: December 01, 2005, 04:40:00 AM »
I have measured the hinge pin diameter on my rifle a half dozen times and I get .375 inch.  This makes it a 3/8 pin.  I see in the faq's that they are .370 inch.  What diameter are the hinge pins in your handi's?  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline .308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hinge pin diameter?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 05:42:49 AM »
Sir I have two receivers both measure .375". One is an NK and the other is a NT serial number.  :D I didn't mention that I used my Hornady calipers to do the measuring. I zeroed them before I did my measuring. And I do know how to use them to get correct measurement. As a matter of fact I canted them from side to side to get the correct measurement. :roll:

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Hinge pin diameter?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 06:23:53 AM »
I just checked several more frames, some old, some new, they all measure .370". I checked several bullets to see if my Lyman caliper is off, it appears right on using the same part of the blade as when measuring the pin. I did notice that if the caliper is canted just a shade, you'll get ~.375" since I'm measuring with just the tip and not the flat part of the blades, but making sure it's square to the pin will get the minimum measurement of .370". :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Hinge pin diameter?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 06:34:45 AM »
I have calipers and a micromiter what will reach in and they both read .375.  It would be odd to build these with a non standard (IE not 3/8 inch) pins.  We need more data I guess.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline .308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hinge pin diameter?
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 07:03:19 AM »
Sir, I went back again and gave it another try, just to be sure. There was no way I could cant my Hornday calipers to give a reading any less than .375".   :D