Author Topic: New BC Scope Mount Question  (Read 355 times)

Offline Phil_A

• Trade Count: (0)
New BC Scope Mount Question
« on: December 02, 2005, 05:13:27 AM »
Just picked up a new Buffalo Classic in .45/70 and also purchased the Weaver 82 scope base.  Went to mount a Leopold 4x on last night and after taking off the factory installed Williams rear sight found the rear two screw holes very shallow.  Removed the threaded plug on the most forward (muzzle end) hole and it is twice as deep as the others.  It seemed a little odd and when I tried to mount the scope base using the screws included by Weaver the rear two screws bottomed out well before they may contact with the body of the scope base.  

Anybody run into this???  Is this the same base that H&R1871 sells for the BC/HandiRifle??  I don't know if the rear two screws broke off when I loosened them - they were tight but not unusually so.  Both appeared to have been installed with loktite.  

I was able to get the base on using the forward screw hole and the one Weaver screw but had to use one of the take-off screws from the Williams sight since it was shorter.  This really doesn't seem correct.

This is my first NEF and it seems like a very well made rifle - especially for the price.  Off to the range to see how it will do.

Thanks for the help - this is my first post on this board after much lurking.

Phil

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 05:52:50 AM »
Welcome aboard!! :D  I've not found shallow holes yet, and I have 25 rifle barrels.....what I have found is factory thread locker in the holes. Use a little heat to soften the thread locker and dig it out until the bottoms of the holes are nice and shiny. I use a micro-jet torch and a leather sewing awl to dig it out, have had to to it on just about every barrel I've worked on.  :wink:
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline lonewolf5347

• Avid Poster
bc 45-70 classic
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 06:27:44 AM »
Phil: quick it right the factory just pours the lock tight in them hole.I just went threw the same problem trying to mount the upgrade peep sights on the BC.
I heated a sewing awl cherry red and statred to break down the lock tight in them holes,took awhlie be carefull not to damage the threads.I also had a extra screw that was the same thread and use that to clean up the threads before I installed the screws that came with the sight :D

Offline Phil_A

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 12:45:56 PM »
Thanks guys!!!

Didn't think about excess thread lock building up in the hole.  I'll try your solution.

Just got back from the range - it really shoots well!!! Will post a range report later.

Thanks again.

Phil