Author Topic: Which 140gr bullet for .280?  (Read 342 times)

Offline jason280

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Which 140gr bullet for .280?
« on: December 02, 2005, 09:25:20 AM »
I am getting ready to order a couple boxes of 140gr bullets to load in my 26" Handi in .280 Rem.  Problem is, I can't decide which bullet to use!  Velocity will be around 3050fps, and I will use the gun out to around 300 yards.  Here are my choices:

-140gr Sierra ProHunter
-139gr Hornady Interlock SST
-139gr Hornady Interlock spire points
-Speer 145gr Hot-Cor spitzers

Thanks!
"Hey Peter, check out Channel 9!!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »
I would add one bullet to the list if deer are on the menu, dunno if I'd use it on elk, though. The Nosler Accubond has been getting great reviews and are available as factory seconds at the Nosler store...Their accuracy rivals the ballistic tip, but it's terminal performance is much improved. This is one bullet that I'm definately going to try in my .280. :wink:

http://www.noslershop.com/accubond2nds.htm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline safetysheriff

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 03:14:51 PM »
i'd go with the 139 gr' btsp by hornady.   i'd load it with Rel' 19 in Rem' brass with any brand of large rifle (standard) primer.    I would Not load it with a magnum primer.  

i loaded those bullets in 7mm Rem' mag' for a couple Ruger M77 Mk II's and they were real shooters.   being interloc's i'd guess them to be good on whitetails at the high velocity they can achieve, but still good on larger game because of the Interloc design.

that's my story, i'm stickin' to it; and you just might do the same if you'll try 'em.

ss'
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline WoodyP

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 06:53:51 AM »
Jason, I would use the 139 Hornady Interlock, but only in the flatbase configuration, if you plan to hunt with it.  The boattails seem to act much like a varmint bullet, if you hit bone.  In the several 7x57's I've owned, and in my Ruger 77 280 Rem, this bullet has proven to be one of the most accurate.  The Sierra bullet would probably be my choice for accuracy overall, but every one of them I've tried on game, seemed to blowup immediately on contact.  Just my 2 cents.
Regards,
Woody

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
/
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 07:16:31 AM »
Why limit yourself only to lighter bullets?

I'm not familiar with the particular bullets you listed, but would consider Sierra FB and boattail spitzers when working up loads/gathering data - in the 150 grain weights as well as 140's.  I also second the suggestion to try Nosler Accubonds - but also Nosler Ballistic Tips, which have been VERY successful for me.  I'm very biased about Nosler bullets as they've worked well for me in several rounds.  Speer is my "go to choice" for cheaper projectiles instead of Hornady.

My choices for extruded powders would start with H4831 and H4350.  Over the years I've preferred Winchester brass, but have been disappointed of late.  Keep in mind that Norma offers brass in the .280.  100-200 cases aren't that much more expensive, IMO.  CCI and Winchester primers have worked well.

If you're ever going to use your HandiR for elk size game, take a look at the 160-175 grain bullets.  The .280 w/ 175 grain bullets easily outperforms the '06 w/ 180 grain pills.