Author Topic: How many of you use Slings? What kind?  (Read 659 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
How many of you use Slings? What kind?
« on: December 02, 2005, 10:12:11 AM »
I don't have many slings, but I do have a couple. I am currently looking for a leather woven sling for my 30-06, I can't remember who makes it, but I can't find it.
So how many of you guys use a sling? What kind have you been most pleased with?
-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 10:31:44 AM »
I've used The Claw for many years on my turkey guns, it's a bit heavy, but works well for carry on the shoulder a lot. For hunting where I like to have rifle in hand all of the time, I like a lighter sling like the 4oz  Mountain sling by Uncle Mikes, it's super light, but has the grabby coating on it that keeps it on your shoulder. A lot of times, I'll take the sling off the rifle and stick it in my fanny pack, it doesn't get in the way, and I can't get lazy and put the rifle on my shoulder when I might get a quick shot opportunity that is when least expected....been there!! :oops:  The light weight nylon slings fit that scenario best.

Quake Claw Sling

Mountain Sling
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 243tom

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 10:43:19 AM »
Cabelas offers a Braided Padded Sling  item #xs-22-1957 on page 61 of their 2005 Shooting Catalog.  Looks nice for $20.

Offline tanoose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 10:44:47 AM »
I use a 2oz nylon made by allen  on my ultra light rifle  , i also have an old fashon personalized leather cobra sling that i switch on all my rifles and a draw full of slings . I also keep a emergeny sling in the bottom of my backpack that slips on butt and barrel.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 10:50:04 AM »

Offline myarmor

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 10:53:30 AM »
Those look like some tough slings Tim. And I hear you about  the possibility of a missed shot if a sling is in the way. I usually don't carry one, cause I like the mobility of my rifle in hand. But I like the one 243tom mentioned. Not real sure it would match my Laminates though, as they are a dark redish in color. But I like the braided.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 10:59:25 AM »
I've got almost every kind made and favored over the last 40 years.  Heavy custom leather things with my name on them, to the simple things made by Bell and Carlson.  My favorites are the new neophrim soft streatchy material.  It grabs my shoulder well and doesn't slip.  It gives as I move and climb over and around things.  It also has four shell holders that hold them ready for immediate use.  It's also light weight.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 11:03:45 AM »
Yes I have one of those as too. It is a great sling, for the shoulder. And is snug and tight.

Offline bladerunner

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 11:52:40 AM »
Myarmor,I use the browning excellerator sling...it adjusts quickly to either sort and tight against the rifle so it's out of the way to xtra long so you can wrap your arm with it to stabilize a shot....I like it alot...bought it with my handi

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/accessories/detail.asp?value=010J&cat_id=122&type_id=189

:D
Good shot placement + well constructed bullet = DEAD

Matt B.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 01:06:44 PM »
My Handi (deer) rifle sports a tooled leather sling with a buck's head depicted on it that I picked up at K-mart. My 12 ga. Mossberg slug gun and my Ruger 10/22 both have nylon slings. The sling on the 10/22 is used for target shooting military style . The slings on the other two are just used for carrying the guns into the field. I generally shoot the Handi from some type of improvised rest or shooting sticks if shots are long. And the shotgun is generally used for quick shots at close range.

For the short answer... Yes I use slings and each gun's purpose dictates the type of sling used. Same goes for my scopes/sites.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Sling
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 02:33:44 PM »
Could someone mention the brand or provide a little more info on "the new neophrim soft streatchy material"? An opinion based on 40 years experience is worth considering! thank you.  Woodbutcher

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 02:42:12 PM »

Offline Woodbutcher

• Contributor
Sling
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2005, 03:17:47 PM »
Quick, you do nice work! Thank you! I think I'm gonna get me one 'o them.                                         Woodbutcher

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 03:50:36 PM »
Thanks!! I'm still good for something!! :-D

Offline myarmor

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 03:57:18 PM »
Quote from: quickdtoo
Thanks!! I'm still good for something!! :-D

We all appreciate what you do around here Tim. It's little things that oddly enough help out a lot too.

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2005, 04:09:20 PM »
Right now I'm using a sling off one of my "assault" rifles until I can find a nicer leather unit.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Norseman112

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2005, 05:39:27 PM »
I use many slings but I like butler creek slings ....they just seem to be comfortable and a good fit for me.

John