Author Topic: Zeiss question  (Read 657 times)

Offline dusty61

• Trade Count: (0)
Zeiss question
« on: December 03, 2005, 04:25:10 AM »
Hi,

I have a Zeiss Diavari C 3-9x36 MC that was built in the USA. Here`s my question, What is the differance if any between ones made in the USA or made in Germany? I know price wise the German scopes are worth more but what about optics? Any differance?

dusty61

Offline moontroll

• Avid Poster
Zeiss question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 10:12:58 AM »
I had a conquest that was made in the usa,it was bad and I sent it back,they sent me a new one.I called them to see what was wrong with the one I had they looked it up and told me it was sent back to germany.They may be assembled here but I think that the componets and every thing else is done there.

Offline dusty61

Zeiss question
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 11:27:33 AM »
Quote from: moontroll
I had a conquest that was made in the usa,it was bad and I sent it back,they sent me a new one.I called them to see what was wrong with the one I had they looked it up and told me it was sent back to germany.They may be assembled here but I think that the componets and every thing else is done there.

What was wrong with it,adjustments or crappy glass?
I`m pleased enough with the glass but haven`t had much time to play with it yet. I did notice that on 9 power it wasn`t as clear as I`d thought they`d be but over all happy.

dusty61

Offline moontroll

• Avid Poster
Zeiss question
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 07:47:42 PM »
It had point of impact issues with power changes,the replacment they sent is flawless.

Offline june6th1944

Zeiss question
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 03:44:53 AM »
Zeiss lenses are made by Schott Glass, a subsidiary of Zeiss.  ALL Zeiss scopes use Schott-manufactured lenses of some sort, so the quality is outstanding.  Zeiss is one, if not the only, manufacturer that makes it's own lenses.  Swarovski may as well, but I am not sure--is Swarovski worth it though?  Most of the land-based telescopes in the US use Schott-made lenses of some kind.

The tubes for the Conquest line are made in the US, but the other components are made in Europe and imported into the US.  The cost of labor is less expensive here; therefore, the importation of components for final assembly of the Conquest line.

Additionally, Zeiss etches the reticle into the lenses.  Most other manufacturers use a reticle made of wire--another component to assemble.  It's not likely that you will ever break a reticle made by Leupold, as an example, but it's just another feature to point out.

If you own a Zeiss scope, you own a quality product.

Offline hobbyist

• Avid Poster
Zeiss question
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 04:47:21 AM »
Like they say, Zeiss is the best in class.  More specifically, Conquest line is the best scope in their class, period.

Offline Grubbs

• Contributor
Zeiss question
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 11:44:53 AM »
hobbyist......right on.