Author Topic: H&R BC .45/70 Barrel/Dirty  (Read 430 times)

Offline slayer

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
H&R BC .45/70 Barrel/Dirty
« on: December 04, 2005, 12:51:52 AM »
Hi guys, I bought a new Buffalo Classic months ago, and never thought much of it then, but when I bought it, I noticed the barrel was dirty inside. Would this meen that it was owned-shot and returned or do they test fire these guns and then just ship them out? I have never bought a new gun that had powder in the barrel? Also, they wee supposed to come with a lock and this one didn`t? All of this has me nervous, almost like I actually bought a used gun that was returned by a previous owner and they sold it to me as NEW. Whatcha guys think? Have you bought some new NEF`s or H&R`s that had the barrel dirty from being shot already or test fired? Thanks-Jack.

Offline dodd3

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 01:35:36 AM »
jack not just the lock but a hard gun case as well.in the owners book i got with mine it states that it was test fired but who no's,did you get the hard case if you did not  i would ring h&r and ask wots going on.good luck.  
bernie :grin:
if its feral its in peril

Offline lonewolf5347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
BC
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 03:04:46 AM »
Jack: I did purchase my BC from D@R over in PA.
I have to say the gun did have some leftover powder in the barrel and breech area,Would think the gun was test fired at the factory.I did get the hard case ,the lock,and the inserts for the front globe sight.and the factory intstructions booklet.
I was looking to compare it to another BC ,but the dealer only had 1 in stock.I did compare it to the 38-55 he had ,which was in the same condition,dirty bore and breech area ,but everything was there lock,instruction and inserts @ case :D

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:21:56 AM »
The only thing mine didn`t have was the Lock. They really skimp on the Case hardening these days, only has about 65-75% of it on the Receiver, very strange. I wonder if this is to give it an antiqued look? Thanks-Jack.

Offline lonewolf5347

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
BC
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 04:32:30 AM »
My BC has a lot of  cases colors on the action( Case hardening) I only found one problem,that was in one of the screws that are on the butt plate a little to round and sticks out like a sore thumb.But that an eay fix.
Have you put any rounds threw the Gun yet?I loaded some 405 grain FP cast lead bullets over some black powder and was pretty happy  with the groups for the first time shooting BP.

Jack how did it compare to the BC you exchanged I remember the first gun had a loose butt plate. :D

Offline slayer

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 05:02:14 AM »
I exchanged the first one because of the faulty screws for the buttplate, onther than that, the first one had total case hardning on the reciever and a little nicer wood. This one has perfect screws, but the wood has a little less grain and no lock. I have only put 1 box of Remington 405 Geen Box thru her, very nice load to say the least!! I hate the double crimping they do though on the cases, looks goofy. Yes, hardcast 405`s sound pretty interesting. I am going to buy a box of PMC Cowboy 405`s and see how they do, and they are less money, although I know the velocity is less. Will the lower velocity PMC Cowboy loads kill a Deer up to 100 yards? Thanks-Jack.