Author Topic: Moving to another state...Guns, too  (Read 1544 times)

Offline jmf

• Trade Count: (0)
    • http://www.refinishmilitaryriflestocks.com/
Moving to another state...Guns, too
« on: December 04, 2005, 07:52:22 AM »
I'm moving to another state and I need some practical advice on getting my guns there, too.  I researched  a lot of sites that have info on this and it all seems to boil down to this:  You can only ship your guns through people with FFLs.  In other words, I have to go to my friendly gunshop, hand over all my weapons and he ships them to a friendly gunshop near where I'm moving.  Once I get there, I can pick up my guns at the friendly gunshop.  I resent the hell out this.  I can remember when all these rules and laws didn't exist.

I'm sure there are lots of guys who had this same problem and I would like to hear how you got your guns from state A to state B without a lot of rigermarole.  Legally, of course.  All I have are four rifles, four pistols and a shotgun.
There is no substitute for a clear conscience
http://www.refinishmilitaryriflestocks.com/

Offline FWiedner

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 08:11:51 AM »
jmf;

You forgot the part about having to fill out a new 1173 at your destination FFL dealer for every gun you ship through that FFL so that the "transfer" can be recorded.

Oh, and paying the token transfer fee. Probably in the 25-30 dollar range to either FFL involved.

In essence, you are selling your guns and then buying them back, and you get to fill out new paperwork on all of them.

What a deal.

Why not just pack them up and load them into the trunk of your car?

:?
They may talk of a "New Order" in the  world, but what they have in mind is only a revival of the oldest and worst tyranny.   No liberty, no religion, no hope.   It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf to dominate and to enslave the human race.

Offline Shorty

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 08:25:21 AM »
The last time I moved, my guns all went right into the moving van along with everything else.  
The previous move was with a U-Haul; same story.
Of course, none of those moves involved California. :wink:

Offline Daveinthebush

How are you getting there
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 08:34:38 AM »
How are you getting there?

When I moved to Alaska I took all the guns in my truck.  When a friend just moved to AK from Texas, the military moved all his stuff, guns included in his household possessions.

Should be no big deal except what are the handgun regulations in the state that you are moving?  You need to check that first.
AK Bowhunting Certification Instructor
AK Hunter Certification Instructor
IBEP Bowhunting Certification Instructor

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 09:06:20 AM »
As long as the firearms aren't changing ownership, there's no reason for FFL involvement unless the state you're moving to has laws concerning registration.

B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B11) May a person who is relocating out-of-state move firearms with other household goods?

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her state of residence. Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, Washington, DC 20226, before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check state and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new state does not violate any state law or local ordinance. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 4), 27 CFR 178.28 and 178.31]

ATF Firearms Laws

State Firearms Laws
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 09:16:10 AM »
Twenty years in the military myself, then following a service woman for seven more, I made many moves.  Most times the movers took my guns.  they wrapped them, boxed them, and inventoried them.  Make sure they are on the inventory, each gun by make model and serial number.  Not marked on the incividual boxes as that gives the unscruplous warehousemen a convent target.   I also have moved them myself by putting them in my vihicle and taking them with me.  

I do believe most states do permitt the transportation of privately owned firearms through their state for the purpose of moving.  It's easy enough to check with the state police in each state that you will be going through.

Oh yes, I went the gun shop to gun shop thing once, won't do that again.  I travel with guns every year while in the states.  I go hunting in New Mexico, then Texas, then Tennessee.  I drive most times and carry them in the trunk of my car, in the trailer behind a motorcycle, or some years I fly and ship them with me onboard the airplane.

This is from the below mentioned site:  "Common sense and caution are important whenever you are traveling with firearms. The way in which your firearms are packed and located in your vehicle are important factors in your compliance with the law."
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 09:19:54 AM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 04:38:43 PM »
:D jmf.  You didn't say where you were moving to, but whats wrong with putting them in the car/truck and taking them with you?

While in the military I moved all over and never shipped my guns except when I shipped some home from Germany and Spain.  Those were shipped in my household goods.  Course if you are going to Kalifornia, New York City or Washington DC it may not be wise to transport them in your car.

Offline jmf

• http://www.refinishmilitaryriflestocks.com/
Moving
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 08:23:20 PM »
Thanks guys, for the info.  I never thought about just putting them in moving van.  That should have been the first thing I thought of.  But I got so worked up reading all those rule and regulations I guess I just wasn't thinking straight.  Y'all made me feel better now.

Rockbilly, I definitely am not moving to any of those peoples' republics you mentioned.  I'm going to a pretty gun-friendly state.

Thanks again.
There is no substitute for a clear conscience
http://www.refinishmilitaryriflestocks.com/

Offline jgalar

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 01:45:20 AM »
The last 4 moves that I have made the moving company hauled the guns.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »
Guns and several hundred rounds of ammo were all carefully packed and got loaded into the rental van along with everything else. No problemo.

If a Statey stopped me he would have had to unload 8 rooms, a basement and garage worth of furniture and household goods on the side of the highway in order to find them.  :)
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC