Author Topic: Tin Content  (Read 873 times)

Offline Lvl1trauma

• Trade Count: (0)
Tin Content
« on: March 07, 2003, 12:34:33 PM »
List,

I have always used solder as a source of tin in my casting. I guess I got lucky today but I came across 25 lbs of tin flashing as well as a fair amt. of soft lead that appears to be some type of pipe that has been cut open longitudinally. Anyway, I have consulted the Lyman Cast Bullet Bible and am still unable to find out the exact content (percentage) of tin. My guess is it is near 100% because it is fairly light. Any of you fellers got reliable numbers on the tin content?

Beau

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
Tin Content
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2003, 04:21:51 PM »
Beau -
 No way of telling without having it tested.  But, the usual practice is to add a little tin to the lead to improve casting.  So do it.  If the lead by itself doesn't fill out the mould add a measured amount of tin until it works well.  Repeat.

Some common ratios are 1:20 1:12 1:10.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Lvl1trauma

Tin Content
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2003, 04:43:35 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was planning on diluting ww at a rate of 40 to 1 with it. Got to make this stuff last you know...

Beau

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Tin Content
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 05:18:14 PM »
Beau -
  Do what works - experiment - it's hard to argue with success.  Start with a little and use what works.  You're on the right track.  I made the mistake years ago of doing pure linotype etc.  Soft is OK.  (Mushrooms better too).  

TAKE NOTES!
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Omaha Poke

Tin Content
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 09:08:27 PM »
Cat, contact Bill Ferguson at www.theantimonyman.com.  On his web site and in his faqs  he lists the melt temp of pure tin, lead, etc.  You need a good quality termometer to do this.  One thing I found out is that the melting temp of all the metals we use is the same as the temp that it starts to solidify when cooling.  He is one of the best sources of information on bullet metals that I know of, and clears the air of many faibles and myths.   :grin:   Omaha
Randy Ruwe

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
Tin Content
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 12:34:05 AM »
Omaha -
  Agree with you on measuring the temps.  I've had a taught ribbon type of thermometer for years.  This summer (I do my casting in the summer time - 3rd floor just under the roof window for ventillation) I'll install a thermocouple into a mould or two.  I want to watch both the temp of the melt and of the mould.  I know it's important, as getting a good rythem down is for consistancy.

Omaha?  Is there a story behind the name?  (I taught high school at chemical - ahhh - Technical High one year.)

Good URL for Bill Furguson.  I'd heard the name & seen the site but hadn't added it to my list of favorites.

Thanks,
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired