Author Topic: MSP Ret - great guy! Made a pg stock into a straight grip  (Read 548 times)

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
MSP Ret - great guy! Made a pg stock into a straight grip
« on: December 04, 2005, 07:42:21 PM »
Not long ago MSP Ret (Andy) was on a thread describing how to make a Monte Carlo stock into a straight cheek piece (non Monte Carlo) stock.

It triggered a thought for me...  :idea:

I have a 357 mag barrel on a Topper frame, which has had (until today) a Topper shotgun style pistol grip stock, and a newer, Mannlicher forend.

This is what it looked like:

It looks good, but I really wanted a straight grip stock, which I think looks better with the Mannlicher. Since I also have a 357max (original) with a straight grip laminated stock, I decided I'd put the straight lam stock on with the mannlicher forend, just to see what it might look like

Not bad, but there is definitely a visual issue with the lam butt, and the pallet wood mannlicher... so I knew I wasn't going to be happy until I had a straight grip butt to go with the mannlicher! And I did not see any (other than laminated or youth) straight stocks listed in the NEF Price list.

That is when I contacted Andy. I PM'd him with a question whether he thought it possible to make a pistol grip stock into a straight grip stock, and if so would he do it for me. I live in a rather small apartment and have nothing but hand tools and a patient wife, so I wasn't able to do such a mod myself.

Well being the kind of guy he is, he told me to send him a stock and he'd see what he could do. He had access to some good professional saws because of some work he is having done at his place, so he told me to send it quickly.. I did.

I got the stock back today and I was very pleased indeed. I immediately put it on the .357. Here's what it looks like now Notice how well he matched the color of the butt to the color of the forend.

Below are the original H&R 357 Max (top) with the straight laminated stock and the 357 with "Andy's" stock and mannlicher forend (bottom). I think they look great together.

Just wanted to acknowledge Andy and thank him for bringing a little more smile to my face  :)  :)  :)

Cheers :toast:  to Andy who is really quite handi... :roll:  (sorry I couldn't resist)

Thanks a bunch for your help.
Kerry   :D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
MSP Ret - great guy! Made a pg stock into a
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 01:53:50 AM »
Wow!  Those stocks came out great.  I have eyeballed my Topper stocks on more than one occasion with thoughts of doing the same but haven't gotten up the nerve to do it.  I just might now that I have seen Andy's results.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jbtazgrabber

• Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
dd
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 03:26:43 AM »
looks great...i done mine on my huntsman because it didnt feel good on the back when i had it slung........of coarse mine dont look near as good since mine is painted black.... :-D ....jb

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 07:04:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words tallyho. I hope you and your wife get great use out of those nice looking guns. I really like those straight stocks myself, especially on short hunting rifles and shotguns, anywhere where quick target aquisition and fast shots are needed, and as jbtazgrabber offered they carry over your back much more comfortably when using a sling. Keep me in mind re: the SB2, hopefully we can work something out...and let me know if you want another set or two done....<><.... :grin:
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline moose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Neat Looking Stock!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 07:21:31 AM »
Andy, Great Job on the Stock and matching the color is GREATTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!......You get that Smoke Pole sighted in this Morning?????????? Moose :D

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 11:06:48 AM »
Hi Moose!!, I just got back from the range, my son and daughter-in-law came by this morning with my grandaughter so I ended up staying home and playing with my grandaughter, I had a great time. Then the builder came by to talk. I finally got out to the range, sighted in the new .17 Mach2, it shoots great, then tried my shortened .54 Renegade, shot fine at 25 yards to get it on the paper (I was trying some new loads using 777 and some 310 grain Buffalo Ball-ets, got out to 50 and something happened (?) I was shooting about 12" low!!! By then it was getting to be close to sunset when the range closes so I shot a few with my shotgun and slugs, first I tried 00 Buck thru an x-full turkey tube, then shot slugs trying Remingtons, Winchester and Brenneke, something was wrong, it hit me like a ton of bricks, I had left the x-full choke tube in!!! It's tough to try to rush things when your getting older. Anyway, not wanting to cause any trouble for the club with nearby nieghbors by shooting after the agreed upon "sunset" end of shooting and feeling disappointed in myself I wrapped it up and came home. Now to clean up and get things put away. They are predicting 7-12 inches of snow on the Cape tonight. I may forgo going to Maine for the last few days of ML season (until this saturday) to stay around and work on the house....How about you Moose, were you hunting in a short sleeve shirt again today????....<><.... :)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline single shot shooter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 01:10:33 PM »
that looks pretty nice MSP, I may have to try that on a rossi stock I got laying around! hehehe time to break out the shavin slingers  :) .
take care
SSS
Single Shot Shooter  :D

Rossi, The Best In Workin Mans Single Shots

Offline moose

• Avid Poster
turkey tube and slugs?????
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 12:20:40 AM »
Andy...i bet those slugs were in tight groups with the turkey tube...lol....no hunting in t-shirt today, 70's on Sunday and Heavy Frost this morning(32deg).....but no SNOW!!!!!!!............Good luck in Maine if you go up this week.......... :D Moose