Author Topic: What's the funniest animal activity you have seen in woods ?  (Read 1109 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What's the funniest animal activity you have seen in woods ?
« on: December 05, 2005, 04:55:14 AM »
Hands down the funniest thing I have seen to date was while I was bow hunting. Heard a crashing in the palmettos (Florida) and out jumps the biggest armadillo I have ever seen. It just sits there. Another crashing and another huge dilla jumps and pounces on the first and starts copulating feverishly. I was alone but laughed so hard I interrupted the moment - sort felt bad but gawd it was funny.

Offline PEPAW

• Contributor
What's the funniest animal activity you hav
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 07:58:46 AM »
Tough call.  How about top 5:
1)   javelina pursuing a young deer back and forth across the sendero
2)   barking, pesky squirrel falling out of tree
3)   brand new calf "high-tailing it" repeatedly trying to chase deer
4)   tiny baby pigs chasing and fighting from approximately 15 yards
5)   ringtail cat being harassed in and out of a knothole by mockingbird
      (in the daylight!)

Some of those you just had to be there!

pepaw

Offline longwalker

• Contributor
funniest thing
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 08:32:40 AM »
I was archery hunting for deer in Connecticut. It was early afternoon and I found a nice spot in the sun to lie down and take a nap. I woke up, sat up against a stump and just watched and listened. All os a sudden I hear branchs breaking  squirrel barking and running across the tree tops and something fall to the ground. I was curious but stayed put. I almost for got about the thing that fell when a large bird picks it's self up and starts stumbling around on the ground. The bird most likely a sharp shinned hawk couldn't stand up without falling over. After about 5 minutes it regained its balance just stood on the ground looking around. After an other 10 or 15 minutes it spotted me. Causing the bird to stop all movement. We eyeballed each other for a while before the hawk tried to take off. poor guy fell flat on his beak. Eventually it did take flight and flew away.

All I can think is, the sharpie chasing a bird hit a branch at very high speed. Resulting in the fall and loss of consciousness.

longwalker

Offline NONYA

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 09:10:38 AM »
Just yesterday I watched a pair of otters running down the bank and sliding out on the ice I was fishin thrugh,they would waddle up the bank and then get a run at it and slide out as far as they could on the ice,it was like they were trying to see who could salide the furthest,pretty entertaining!
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 12:58:10 PM »
A number of years ago I sat and watched a game of keep-a-way being played by a bunch of Chipmunks at a range of lass than 20 feet.  They kept the game going for a good hour or so while I sat and laughed until my sides hurt.  I also enjoy watching young(babies) play every spring.  Bear cubs are especially funny.  Lawdog
 :D
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline a45gunslinger

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.zippyvideos.com/8333718701028686/000_0452/
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 06:14:04 PM »
I saw three does chasing a bobcat here in northern Mi....man did he look upset :)

Offline Butler

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 06:34:08 PM »
I once came across a herd of moose in a cut block in alberta during the rut..One frisky young bull decided to mount a big bull after losing a little skirmish with him,you could just see it coming..The big bulls eyes almost popped out as he whirled around and pushed the little bull into the thick black spruce then he looked at my friend and I in a small tracked machine,walked over and proceeded to throw up hunks of muskeg with his hooves,exciting as heck and I did not have a draw for that area at that time..Pretty funny!!!

Offline srwshooter

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 03:40:24 AM »
A FEW YEARS AGO I WAS SETTING ON A A HILL OVER LOOKING A POND ON THE EDGE OF A THICKET AND HEARD SOMETHING . I LOOKED AT THE POND AND A BEAR HAD JUMPED IN AND WAS DIVING UNDER SWIMMING LIKE A HUMAN , 3 TIMES HE WENT BACK TO THE BANK AND JUMPED IN AGAIN HEAD FIRST JUST LIKE HUMAN . BY NOW I'M THINKING IF I COULD JUST GET CLOSE WITH MY BOW I MAY GET A SHOT. ABOUT THAT TIME I HEARD SOMETHING LOUD COMING AND LOOKEED UP AND SOME GUY CAME ALONG FLYING A ULTRALITE PLANE , ONE OF THOSE WITH THE HANG GLIDER CHUTE ON IT ,WELL HE SCARED THE BEAR AND UP THE HILL HE CAME AT A DEAD RUN. WELL,HE RAN UP ABOUT 10YDS FROM ME AND STOPPED JUST LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO PUT A ARROW IN HIM. NEXT THING I KNOW I'M JUMPING BEHIND THE TREE I WAS SETTING AGAINST CAUSE HE RAN HEAD ON INTO IT. WELL HE TURNED AND RAN BACK DOWN THE HILL AND RAN INTO A BIG BRUSH PILE.
I WAITED ALMOST A HOUR AND WENT DOWN TO FIND HIM.
THERE WAS KNOW SIGN ANY WHERE AND I NEVER DID FIND HIM
ONLY A BLOOD COVERED ARROW. HE MUST HAVE WENT STRAIGHT THRU THE BRUSH PILE AND KEPT GOING.

Offline jpsmith1

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2005, 03:44:12 PM »
Probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in the woods was a pair of fawns.  The younger one was still wet from being dropped.  My two friends and I watched them take their first wobbly steps.
Searching for the perfect left handed revolver.....

Offline clodbuster

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
the funniest wildthing
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 04:45:24 AM »
Spring turkey hunting in Iowa, set up in the dark on the edge of a field with 5 decoys. Sun comes up-out march the turkeys.  Right as I'm getting ready to shoot out comes the deer and begin to harrass the turkeys and the decoys.  They obviously couldn't figure out why some of the "turkeys" wouldn't move.  No amount of kicking and butting could make them respond.  Finally the deer got so upset they smashed the decoys flat and left.  After waiting 30 minutes I finally got my shot along with a memorable show.
Preserve the Loess Hills!!!

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 04:46:20 AM »
I did not see it but heard most of it. A guy that I was hunting with shot a few weeks ago I  went to help him recover or see his kill. well I got there sure he had shot the big one nope. He said he was sitting there and suddenly heard a comotion it was two bobcats screaming and jumping wildly come to find out they were attacking a rattlesnake. he said after watching awhile decided to take a shot at the snake and scare off the cats. (beig on my grandfathers farm with goats and cows I wish he had shot the cats but he said it was the most amazing thig he had ever seen.

Offline NONYA

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 08:02:57 AM »
I stopped to look a a BIG wt buck bedded along a road three years ago and he had a jackrabitt curled up right against his belly,keepin warm I guess but it was pretty funny lookin.
If it aint fair chase its FOUL,and illegal in my state!
http://www.freewebs.com/lifealongthedge/index.htm

Offline JPSaxMan

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 05:08:15 PM »
Funniest thing I ever saw was two fawns chasin each other through the field as I sat about 100 yards away in a blind over the summer...like lil brother harassing lil sis :lol:
JP

Attorney: Now doctor, isn't it true that when a person dies in
his sleep, he doesn't know about it until the next morning?

Doctor: Did you actually pass the bar exam?

Proverbs 3:5 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 09:39:46 PM »
About two weeks ago I am sitting in my nice little hide with my bow waiting for the deer to come to the pond to drink. Well on the far side of the pond there is a fence right at the edge that leaves about an 18 inch path between it and the edge of the pond, the pond is down right now, so the water level is about 12 ~ 14 inches below the bank. As I sat and watched two does came out and went along that little path, then first one stops to drink and is reaching down for the water, well the second one gets right up on her and head butts her in the backside, so off into the pond she goes with this huge splash, it was just too funny watching this, the one in the water looking up with this look of "Why did you knock me in the pond?" and the other looking down going "What are you doing in there?" type of head tilt. Needless to say I lost it laughing and they both ran off.
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline riddleofsteel

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2005, 03:27:13 PM »
I was bow hunting on a 270 acre abandoned private farm that I had permission to be on. One morning about 10:00 a large doe came out in a small clearing and stopped. She was tossing her head like an imaginary fly was buzzing around her head. Then suddenly she bolted to her left and stopped. Then she kicked up her heels and spun 360 degrees with her eyes open wide showing the whites all around.
The scene was so bizzare that I did not even think about shooting her. She ran thru the nearby woods giving that "I am lost" bleat that I have heard fawns use. When she came back into view she was still acting weird. She would look around and suddenly bolt then stop. After about ten minutes of that she took off.
Later I wondered if she was in heat or something but I finally concluded it was too early in the year for that. I considered parasites or just palin insanity but I wondered about her for the next month. Then I got a phone call from the land owner. Seems that someone had planted a large, well cultivated pot patch on the back side of the next farm about 1000 yards from where I was hunting. It was close enough to the rather indestinct property line that there was some debate as to whos land it was on.
I always wondered if deer got a buzz from the pot they eat from illegal patches in the woods. I truly think that doe had a major buzz on.
...for him there was always the discipline of steel.

They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night.
Song of Solomon 3:8

Offline Ranger J

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 04:57:34 AM »
I used to sit in my tree blinds and shoot squirrels out of them before deer season.  I thinned the noisy little critters out and it also allowed me to see what trails the deer would probably would be using when season came.  One morning as I sat there a doe and two spotted fauns came wondering by.  I froze and they came right under my stand when suddenly Mon crossed my scent stream.  She froze immediately as she could not find where I was.  The two fauns picked up her nervousness and began to twitch their ears because of the tension.  This went on for about five minuets before I yelled boo!  Mon and one faun took off one direction and the other faun bolted the opposite direction while looking over its shoulder at mom.  The poor little fellow tumbled headfirst into a brush pile and got tangled up and it took several minutes to extract itself.  The site of the faun lying on its back with legs frantically waving in the air almost caused me to fall out of the tree :)  :)
RJ

Offline BlackWolf

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2006, 01:57:22 PM »
Once, while hunting spring turkeys here in PA while I was taking a friend hunting I had the following experience.  At daylight We began walking along a ridge attempting to locate birds (I had filled my tag the previous weekend and was basically a guide).  While stopping to listen in one spot we turned around to see a whitetailed doe following our path through the woods coming right at us.  I kiddingly said "watch this" and stepped towards the doe at about 15 feet from us.  She raised her head up and froze so I took another step.  She didn't move.  I continued to do this until I was within arms reach of her and she ducked backwards.... I held my hand out open palm up and she took a step forward and licked it.  I "petted" her on her neck and motioned for my buddy to come see....   That deer refused to leave us after that and once we located a mature gobbler we had to do everything we could to get the doe to go away.  She refused and in fact when we pushed her away from laying down beside us as I called to the gobbler.  She then laid down beside the decoy and we had to intentionally scare her so we could continue to hunt.  Never did see that doe again either...