Author Topic: Oregon Members. I need Help Choosing a Range To Join  (Read 407 times)

Offline Zeke Menuar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Oregon Members. I need Help Choosing a Range To Join
« on: December 05, 2005, 08:57:06 AM »
Need some input from those of you that live in Oregon.

I need to get away from going up to the hills above Scotts Mills to shoot. Too crowded. Too wet and rainy this time of year.  Too many "wingnuts" hanging around up there doing questionable deeds.

Time to join a range to get more practice time in.

I have around 15? rifles. A few hunting rifles and the rest milsurps. Taking six or eight guns up there to do load testing, and general practice is too much of a hassle. A range would be much easier.

I would like to try trap and skeet at a proper range.
I am not interested to going back to shoot any handgun matches. I was a bad handgun shot back in the late 90's. Things haven't improved, hence my fondness for rifles and shotguns.
I like to shoot rifles at distances from 100-300 yards. Any farther is just for fun.

I live in Salem.
I have narrowed my choices to the Four Corners Gun Club http://www.fourcornersrodandgun.com/index.htm.

Never been to Four Corners. It is about 15-20 minutes from my house. I was all set to pony up the dough and apply until I saw the pics of the rifle range. They have those (insert blankety-blank-blanks here) barrels that you have to shoot through.  They claim that the barrels reduce noise?(a topic better left to another thread).  I never liked shooting through barrels when I shot IPSC. Shooting a 300 WBY through 55 gallon drums can't be any better. However they are so close to my house I have to consider them.

And Tri County Gun Club http://www.tcgc.org/

Been there once. Nice place. Better have a map, compass and a GPS unit or you'll get lost or ran over by a gravel truck. Don't know much else about Tri-County.

I ruled out the Albany Gun Club because it is to far away and doesn't have good freeway access.

I would like to know about range protocol when using a chronograph.
What about using a SKS and Wolf ammo?

If you have any comments, criticisms, or you are a member. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Thanks
ZM
Official Guardian of the Arsenal of Paranoia

Offline Rogue Ram

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Oregon Members. I need Help Choosing a Ran
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 06:24:28 PM »
Zeke, I'm not a member of Tri-County, but have shot there many times as a guest. It is by FAR the best range in Oregon, period. A little spendy, but if you volunteer your time as a rangemaster once in awhile you get a reduced rate. All kinds of ranges there, pistol, rifle, shotgun, etc etc........and as I recall a 100 yard rifle range then a much longer one (Iforget the distance).

As a kid I shot competitively all around the State, and nothing compares to Tri-County. Its a drive from your area it sounds like, but it might be worth it to get away from the wing nuts.................do a google search on the Larch Mountain murders, and you'll find info on 4 teens that shot two target shooters on Larch Mountain "just to watch them die" while they were down range changing a target........this was an area with a big open pit in a Natl Forest up past Corbett. These days a structured range is safer, that's for sure.

Take care

:D

RR