Author Topic: Making rifle jackets  (Read 1244 times)

Offline paccini

• Trade Count: (0)
Making rifle jackets
« on: December 05, 2005, 10:10:15 AM »
sirs, i am not new at making bullets, but the problem is that its hard to import j-4 jackets (in .308) into brazil.
i am thinking about contracting a company down here to do this job to me. i have a sketch of j-4 jackets and would like to make a "copy" of that. if we have an engineer here in this forum, what miracle do they do to get that zero runout accuracy over the jackets?
is there any special procedure to deep draw the cups?
regards,
godoy

Offline jcunclejoe

• Avid Poster
Making rifle jackets
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 11:27:32 AM »
I can tell you for certain they are not getting zero runout and they should not even have a callout on the drawing that would require such an impossible tolerance.

A good number for that would be .0002 to .0003 inch, and that is still a tight tolerance.

The best kind of place to have make the jackets for you would be a deep draw manufacturer. Perhaps one that makes ball point pen components or a similar type of product. They usually make long deep drawn brass parts and can more easily adapt to making copper bullet jackets. Plus they know how to hold the kind of tolerances you are looking for. Pen components are very consistent.

Deep drawing is a science of it's own and requires many years of experience and experimentation to achieve an acceptable product. it would be best to work with someone that already has deep draw experience.

Good luck in your venture. you might even be able to export the extra jackets to the US.
Joe

Offline BUTCH HAIRFIELD

308 jackets
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 11:34:01 AM »
hello Godoy

i am a jacket maker and it is extremely difficult to get the tolerance you are specking for the jacket.  this kind of info is usually kept vary secret.  if you go to dave corbins web page he is selling a set of drawing dies that he claims will give you these kinds tolerances.  

what kind of problems are you having with getting the jackets imported into brazil ????????????????????????  

the reasion i ask if you are having problems there you may have problems getting the dies bought in.  

the second item is how many of the jackets are you planning to make at a time ?????????????????????  and what length ?????????????????????

the reasion for this question is you will need a press to run the dies in.  this can be a hand press or a hydraulic press.   we have several options hear and also what are you using now ????????????????????

we can take this to a direct email conversation if you like it makes it easier for me

harrell.hairfield@ps.ge.com

butch
DBCS company